Infinity RS 1-B crossover

rwd

« on: 6 Apr 2003, 07:42 pm »
Does anyone here have these speakers or knows someone who dumped the Infinity crossover and went with a Bryston or Marchard (or other) crossover while still keeping the Infinity RS 1-B woofer towers???? :?

dgordonl

Re: Infinity RS 1-B crossover
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2003, 02:57 am »
Quote from: rwd
Does anyone here have these speakers or knows someone who dumped the Infinity crossover and went with a Bryston or Marchard (or other) crossover while still keeping the Infinity RS 1-B woofer towers???? :?

Why would you dump the Infinity Crossover.It was designed for those speakers.I heard of people doing tweaks to that crossover but yet to hunt anyone down.
I too have the RS1B's and they work flawless..I just added a new set of mono amps for the mid/tweet towers..WOW these speakers come alive with 4 mono amps powering them..

Housteau

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:49 am »
That crossover is also a basic woofer servo unit set-up for a feedback loop.  That is important in it's design.  However, my guess is that you do not wish to use the original 4 piece system and instead want to add the bass towers to some other speakers.   That may work without the feedback and original crossover, but they may not exhibit the same level of tightness and control.  You may be able to find some help here:

http://oellerer.net/infinity_classics/

The original unit can be modified.  Mine is and there is quite a difference.  The original set-up was designed for all tube power, not just the top.  When we mix tube on top with solid state on the bottom, there is a level mismatch that the original unit had trouble correcting for.  Also it's internal power supply was not the greatest.  Most mods include a new external power supply.

Dave