anyone heard of these - Zenith Circle of Sound

rif

• Not a cowboy
anyone heard of these - Zenith Circle of Sound
« on: 5 Nov 2022, 10:20 pm »
I've never seen these and stumbled into them on Craigslist.  looks like a driver firing up into a cone to disperse the sound circlularly.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: anyone heard of these - Zenith Circle of Sound
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2022, 10:54 pm »
In the early 1990s omni speakers were seen often in the small ads pages of Audio US, this image seems similar to this:
http://www.roger-russell.com/omni/omni.htm

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2022, 11:14 pm »
Hey!

Have seen them come up form time to time on eBay and Craiglist but never hear them. They look cool though, a '60s retro modern.

If you want a modern day audiophile omni speaker using the sound dispersion like that then check out Duevel speaker from Germany. I've heard a pair some years ago and they were pretty impressive. I think they were Venus or something similar to that. Not cheap though.

https://www.duevel.com/en-gb/Venus

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2022, 11:37 pm »
the zenith style seems easy to replicate if one so desired, using 3d printing for the cone.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2022, 12:33 am »
If you can find the round cylinder enclosure in the post 1 are much better than that boxed duevel,

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2022, 12:36 am »
I clearly remember the ad for them, and vaugely remember something negative, a comment, a review, who knows, the only thing I remember is that they didn't like them.  But for the right price I'd go for a listen.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2022, 12:39 am »
He's selling them on the Philadelphia craigslist for $85.  I have no room, otherwise I'd give it a go.
(standard disclaimer- have no connection to these)

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2022, 12:49 am »
He's selling them on the Philadelphia craigslist for $85.  I have no room, otherwise I'd give it a go.

Hey!

$85 a bit steep for me personally. I'm sure you can haggle it down a bit, even that if you're buying them for sound I still think they are not worth it. But I'm sure they are people who would buy these for more of a home decoration piece for that price.

By the way, sometime a go I saw a larger pair up for sale. I even though about change those old drivers to a better fullrange drives like Fostex. But I talked myself out of it because the cabinets are probably thin and even if they are better after. Like you, I just don't have room for more stuff here in my NYC's small apartment :icon_lol:

« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2022, 02:43 am by SET Man »

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2022, 01:01 am »
looks are deceiving.  he says "They each measure 10 1/2 inches in diameter x 8 inches tall".  if it were Spring, I might consider them for an outdoor patio, just bring the, in when it rains.  good for conversation.

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2022, 02:48 am »
looks are deceiving.  he says "They each measure 10 1/2 inches in diameter x 8 inches tall".  if it were Spring, I might consider them for an outdoor patio, just bring the, in when it rains.  good for conversation.

Hey!

By the way, I edited my post above to say that they are "not" worth it for $85 if you want them for sound as they are. But....

Yes, these are smaller one I've seen. Still if you want to experiment you can always try new fullrange drivers like Fostex, Mark Audio or Tang Band. They are cute and will make a good conversation piece in deed.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2022, 03:02 am »
I had a Zenith system with the circle of sound speakers.  It had AM/FM and a turntable.  The speakers were about 2 feet tall, and 8 to 10 inches wide. It was 1973.  Bought it used.  Sounded OK for barracks use.

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2022, 05:08 pm »
I think my sister had a version of those speakers. Possibly smaller. They were on a cart with a turntable and electronics. The speakers were on the bottom shelves at the sides of the cart but they had enough speaker cable to pull them off and spread them.

My system at the time was a GE suitcase that folded down into a turntable. It had speakers on the sides. They opened on hinges like wings and also had enough speaker cable to remove and spread them.

That was the 60's. Now I have two systems with some of the best names in the industry. What a strange space trip it's been.   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2022, 08:26 pm by Don_S »

Charles Xavier

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2022, 06:40 pm »

If this is the same post it's now 75.00
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/7554313009.html

I'd pick them up if I was closer. Hell, I wasted more on Power ball :lol:

Charles Xavier

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:20 pm »
my need for gadgets is itching ... but I must resist.  I could always set them up as surrounds flagging the couch and tell her they're art deco side tables...

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #15 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:50 am »
Elecrohome made a bunch of similar. I have had at least a dozen different ones. Never paid more than $10. Usually just a couple bucks.

They ranged from crap to interesting

dave