AKFest Pics-Day One

jd3

AKFest Pics-Day One
« on: 2 May 2010, 12:27 am »
Pics from the Salk Room (photos by my wife):

Maybe more tomorrow, but we're leaving early, so we'll see.

fsimms

Re: AKFest Pics-Day One
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2010, 12:36 am »
Thanks for the picts!  Please people give impressions of the SS10's and the Archo's.

Bob

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2010, 12:54 am »
Bob,
I'd not heard the Archos before today, and I was really impressed with how open they sound and how easy to drive they are.  They really filled the room with sound.  Not as much bass as compared to the HT-2TL's, but if I had to choose between the two it would be a tough choice.  Depends on what you're looking for.  The TL-2's definitely have more bass, but the Archos is really an impressive speaker.  I may have to make that choice because I was leaning toward the TL's but after hearing the Archos, I don't know.  (My wife even liked the Archos.)

The SS-10's are just amazing.  Whatever's in the recording you hear.  If I had the money I'd order a pair.  (BTW, Mary had stickers entitled:  Soundscape...My kid's inheritance!!)

John 
« Last Edit: 2 May 2010, 10:35 am by jd3 »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2010, 01:50 am »
Looks like a good sized room there.... 8)

Thanks for the photos... :thumb:

jd3

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2010, 10:41 am »
Yeah, it is a good sized room (it's AVA's room too).  Lots of interest in the SS-10's too.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2010, 11:01 am »
The picture of the three speakers, the one on the right (redish for lack of a better description) what model are they?
 Ed L.

jd3

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2010, 11:20 am »
The picture of the three speakers, the one on the right (redish for lack of a better description) what model are they?
 Ed L.

From left to right they are Archos, SongTower, and HT2-TL (and they are really red!) 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2010, 11:20 am »
HT2 TL

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2010, 11:33 am »
Here some folks listening in the Salk room.  L-R: John from the shop, Dean from AVA, Frank behind Dean, interested party, irsihsammy or slamminsammy?, Jim, kinger in the back, mchuckp, Itai in the back, and another interested party.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2010, 11:45 am »
Bamberg and Wright

Bamberg and Modwright monoblocks with Crystal cables

Krell_man and Bryan (GIK)

Group listening to the Soundscapes

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2010, 11:51 am »
Paul, caught this in the Fritz, Korado room.  Fully equipped with Kaplan power setup.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2010, 11:55 am »
Influenced not doubt by Dairy Queen and their signature swirl at the cone top.  From the Nautilus designer, $60,000 - equaled the Songtowers to my ears.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2010, 11:58 am »
Prodigious bass powered by Atmasphere amps and preamp.  But the midrange and up was a little fuzzy to me.  Or maybe it was the decibel level that made me jittery.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2010, 12:02 pm »
Bogdan audio.  The amount of labor he put into these was phenomenal.  They are stacked pieces of MDF first cut with a jigsaw and then shaved closer with a bandsaw.  Each side has a cavity cut into the stacked piece that is filled with sand top to bottom to dampen vibrations.  Sound was okay to me.  Didn't inquire on price.

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2010, 12:30 pm »
Is there some way to consolidate these AKfest threads? Or maybe the Salk specific threads. I'd like to see all the comments and photos in one place. I'm really enjoying the AC coverage of this event. It's been a long time since I've been to one of these conventions and I miss playing with all these great electronics.

OgOgilby

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2010, 01:47 pm »
Thanks for the pics guys - keep 'em coming!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2010, 01:58 pm »
Yes great pics!! I love the dairy queen speakers wow talk
about niche market share. I guess all the execs at DQ were
customers, wonder if they have a mixed version??

pardales

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2010, 02:42 pm »
Bogdan audio.  The amount of labor he put into these was phenomenal.  They are stacked pieces of MDF first cut with a jigsaw and then shaved closer with a bandsaw.  Each side has a cavity cut into the stacked piece that is filled with sand top to bottom to dampen vibrations.  Sound was okay to me.  Didn't inquire on price.

When I was in the room I heard him say they are 17K a pair.

pardales

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2010, 02:46 pm »
Yes great pics!! I love the dairy queen speakers wow talk
about niche market share. I guess all the execs at DQ were
customers, wonder if they have a mixed version??

Yeah, i'd like to hear the twist! I agree with BigRed that the sound was a little underwhelming.

For me, the sound in most rooms was too damn loud. What is it with audio shows and ridiculously high volume levels? If it can only sound good REALLY loud, its probably not very good.

Besides the Salk/AVA room I really enjoyed the Parker Audio room.

jd3s wife

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2010, 04:45 pm »
Heading back to "Where the north begins and the pure waters flow"!  Will upload a few snapshots from this morning when we get home. 

Met some very nice people, thank you for being so welcoming!