Anyone have experience with shielding/bucking magnets?

bryede

If I wanted to shield a Song Center, how hard would it be and would performance be affected?

jsalk

Re: Anyone have experience with shielding/bucking magnets?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:36 pm »
If I wanted to shield a Song Center, how hard would it be and would performance be affected?

Adding bucking magnets to the woofers is an easy install.  But you would also need to shield the tweeter.  We used to be able to get a cup that covered the back of the tweeter.  But it is no longer available.  With the advent of LCD, Plasma, etc. screens, shielding is no longer as important as it once was.  The last time this was an issue for a customer (about a year ago), we fabricated our own tweeter shield.

Do you have an older CRT-based TV?  If not, you don't need shielding.

In terms of performance, it won't affect it to any great degree.  So that is not a problem.

- Jim

bryede

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2010, 05:53 pm »
The best place for my SongCenter is on my entertainment table, right next to my turntable. I was a little concerned about running the table next to a magnetic field.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2010, 05:56 pm »
The best place for my SongCenter is on my entertainment table, right next to my turntable. I was a little concerned about running the table next to a magnetic field.

I would definitely want to make sure there is a problem before you attempt to fix it.  There will probably not be an issue.

- Jim

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2010, 07:27 pm »

Will you be running the center speaker while using the turntable?  If so, acoustic feedback might be a problem.  Acoustic vibrations from the speaker will get picked up by the stylus and phono cartridge generating a tell-tale muddy sound.  If your center speaker is off during phonograph play, then it should be OK.

bryede

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm »
I only use the center for movies or surround material so feedback isn't an issue. I could put the center on a shelf, but I like having it out away from the wall a bit.