Bi-wiring vs jumpers - any opinions?

DEP14

Bi-wiring vs jumpers - any opinions?
« on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:05 pm »
Was just looking for peoples opinions on bi-wiring vs. jumpers.  I've never really thought there would be much of a difference.  That said, my cables could be converted to bi-wiring on the speaker end with about an hours work so I could do it. 

I figure really the only reason for dual binding posts, and only potential advantage is for bi-amping.  But, always interested in others opinions.

Big Red Machine

Re: Bi-wiring vs jumpers - any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2014, 03:47 pm »
No need to bi-wire Doug.  Many of us have tried, even multiple times, and the expense of two sets of cables and getting no real return for that meant we were putting up a set of cables for sale in short order. :duh:

DEP14

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:14 pm »
Yup, kind of what I thought, and have always thought.  But always interested to hear.

You know, it's your fault anyways Pete... I'm now looking at other ways to improve the system....

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:21 pm »
I have to agree with BRM. When I've experimented with bi-wiring in the past, I always preferred a single high quality cable and a matching jumper. The caveat here is that I've only had 2-way speakers, so perhaps there may be somewhat of an advantage for 3-ways and beyond. When I ordered my SongTowers years ago, I insisted on single binding posts and have never regretted it. I just felt there were far better options for improving overall system performance. With this all said, the ONLY way you'll ever know is to try it and see for yourself.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:14 pm »
I would say it depends on the wire. I use Kimber 4VS with the Salk HT2-TL and AVA Synergy 450 amp and have tried three different configurations:

1.) Single run (2-13 AWG) with jumper - OK

2.) Double run (2-10 AWG) without jumper - Better with deeper bass

3.) Double run with jumpers - Best bass of all, the Seas Excel W18E001 drivers will use everything you give them, don't hold them back with small gauge wires.

In all three configurations the mids and highs did not change, just the lowest of low bass. Test recording used: Mickey Hart's Planet Drum - Temple Caves, the low drum beats should fill your room, make you smile and say "I didn't know my speakers could play this low".

Wayne

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2014, 08:13 pm »
doug "DEP14" tell us about your jumpers.  Are you using purpose built jumpers or jumpers made of speaker wires

Occam

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2014, 10:31 pm »
If you use jumpers, I recommend that you experiment with the speaker cable and jumper configuration(s).
IMS, I much prefer the Audioquest recommended hook up.

There are only 4 configurations possible with a pair of jumpers, single wire speaker cable on a bi-wireable speaker. Nothing beats empirical investigation. YMMV

fwiw,
Paul

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2014, 12:08 am »
doug "DEP14" tell us about your jumpers.  Are you using purpose built jumpers or jumpers made of speaker wires

They're purpose-built.  They came from me.

Stercom

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2014, 12:31 am »
If you use jumpers, I recommend that you experiment with the speaker cable and jumper configuration(s).
IMS, I much prefer the Audioquest recommended hook up.

There are only 4 configurations possible with a pair of jumpers, single wire speaker cable on a bi-wireable speaker. Nothing beats empirical investigation. YMMV

fwiw,
Paul

Thanks Paul. Interesting suggestion. I'll check it out.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2014, 01:07 am »
I've always bi-wired with better results

Some of my favs
Key factors tonality, imaging and dynamics

Acoustic Zen. Satori shotgun
Straightwire crescendo

My current wires which are incredible, affordable and getting a good underground buzz
Crimson Audio Cables

Also where you dont have biwires connection, you can double up the wire using one set of spades, one set via the banana connection

ckunstadt

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2014, 02:57 pm »
My experience is that the upper and lower binding posts sound different from one another (when used with the included plate jumpers and non-bi-wire cables). I feel like if they sound different… then I am losing something over the jumper.  So… I am now bi-wiring.  I like it.  and that's it.

Chris

advanced101

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:54 pm »
This is one of those topics where people debate.  I would try both methods and see if you hear a difference, even if it costs you a few bucks in cabling.  IMHO, most people on most systems wouldn't hear a difference.  But, you might, won't know until you test.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2014, 04:37 pm »
The technical difference between a single speaker pair run and bi-wiring with two speaker pair runs is that you move the common ground connection of the speaker's internal crossover from the speaker itself (single speaker cable set) to the power amplifier speaker terminal ground (bi wired).

Depending upon the gauge of your speaker wires and the length of the speaker cables, this "could" make an audible improvement.  The additional resistance of the single speaker pair will cause some possibly unwanted interaction between the speaker high and low crossovers that are eliminated in bi-wiring.  This probably could be verified with test tones and use of really tiny 24 gauge speaker wires where the mixing signal imposed on the rather high resistance thin wires would set up a worse case situation.

With modern very low resistance 14 gauge or higher speaker wires, this effect should be minimized far below audibility, although when in doubt, if you can afford it (Bluejeans will build you nice bi-wire cable sets complete with very high quality locking banana plugs at a reasonable price) there is no harm in trying this.

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2014, 04:44 pm »
I have HT3's and bi-wire. I had bi-wired since the 80's when I got the HT3's and after asking some opinions from a couple of Salk owners decided I'd run the HT3's without. My previous speakers to the HT3's had 4 12" woofers per side. Early on I was really having a hard time getting used to clean base and the lack of plenty of 20HZ output. For awhile I had both sets of speakers hooked up running the mid's and high's from the HT3's and the bass from the Carver Platinums. Anyway, we were doing some comparisons and my wife misunderstood what I asked her to do with the jumper and instead hooked up the HT3's bi-wired. The bass and dynamics were so improved (the same areas that were always improved over the years by by-wiring) that's how they've been wired for the last 6+ years and the Carver's haven't been brought out of storage since.

Apparently YMMV so I'd echo the suggestion to listen using both methods and decide for yourself.

I see Frank just weighed in. BTW I run AVA gear.