Grace F-8 opinions

ctjetta

Grace F-8 opinions
« on: 16 Feb 2020, 02:20 am »
I don't have enough posts to do a search here, must ask in a post.
I picked up a NOS Grace F-8 stylus with a ruby cantilever. The thing is sooo delicate looking I'm afraid to to even handle it.
I then had to buy a an F-8 body (sorta ass-backwards, I know). So I actually know nothing about it other than that Grace cartridges are held in rather high esteem. But, it had a ruby cantilever! How do I not bid on this? (Which I subsequently won.)
So, now I need help in optimizing its use, e.g. proper effective mass tonearm to use, VTF, etc . . .
Thanks in advance!

Phil_S

Re: Grace F-8 opinions
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2020, 01:06 pm »
Couldn't find a listing for the F-8R in the Vinyl Engine Database but there is one for the F9.  I used to have an F9E and here's what I've found:
Output voltage 3.5 mv. No difference between the E & R
Compliance: 12X10-6cm/Dyne - same for both flavors
Mass: 6g - Same
Tracking Force: E 1.2 g; R .5-1.5g This to me is quite a range.

I used it in a Sony PSX50, a direct drive turntable with a medium mass manual tonearm.  It was the sweetest setup I had.  I suspect the ruby cantilever will provide greater transparency than the original.

Good luck

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Grace F-8 opinions
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:42 pm »
Got this quote off of the Audiogon forum.

"Depends on the arm, the f8 is a better choice for ultralight arms like the Grace G707, Infinity Black Widow, etc. The f9 is actually based on the older f8, but improved to work on a wider variety of arms, but it's really not compliant enough for those light arms I mentioned earlier.

Currently running a NOS Grace f8 L'10 on my Grace G707. I can tell you it's something special to hear a cartridge installed on the arm it was designed for by the same designer and manufacturer of the arm. I was blown away by just how much I seemed to have been missing, had many a late listening night since lol."

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/is-the-grace-f9l-cartridge-equal-to-the-newest-mm-like-ortofon-clea