London phase 4 LP's

Charles Calkins

London phase 4 LP's
« on: 30 Sep 2018, 10:44 pm »

Hi Guys:
         Today is my clean my bedroom day. Cleaning and polishing furniture and all that kind of stuff. Been at it since 10 am.
          Now it is 3:32. I'm POOPED!!. Anyhow as long as I'm doing this I might as well listen to tunes. I've have a Stanton T 90
          turntable in my bedroom. Works good.
          Going through my LP collection I ran across a London phase 4 LP. "The romantic pianos of Ronnie Aldrich"
         That thing sounds pretty darn good!!! I'm not a big fan of LP's because (to me) they sound pretty dull.
          IMHO a CD has much more dynamic range. But after hearing this LP I'm going to search around and get a few more.
          I liked what I heard!!!

Cheers
                                                                   Charlie

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: London phase 4 LP's
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2018, 11:36 pm »
Those London Phase 4 lp's were an interesting lot.  They made the decision to mic  the "hot" players in the orchestra, so if the oboe had a solo run, he had a mic over him.  The result was dynamic with a lot of punch, but not exactly what the purist would call realistic.  I've got several, and once you get past the non standard recording issues, they are nicely pressed and interesting recordings.