Break-In Tip

Smitty

Break-In Tip
« on: 19 Jul 2005, 12:24 am »
My thin walled apartment has had me frustrated while trying to break in my new Super 3’s. After a week of music they still sounded annoying with anything but vocals. Vocals sounded “real” from day one. Everything else sounded transistor radio thin, and shrill. Louis says to play them loud or the break in will take much longer. I could not do this. I have found an almost silent way to transform them in five hours. It’s like day and night.

Face to face, and out of phase is an old trick. I took it a step further, and it’s almost silent. It allows maximum movement of the cone with minimum volume. Many people use inter-station radio noise to do this. Some play music and throw a blanket over the speakers. I used track 16 on Stereophiles Test CD 2 to speed things up. It plays ½-octave warble tones from 200Hz-20Hz. Cranked to just below the clipping point the cones were a blur to watch; yet I could hear my watch ticking. After five hours I wanted to see if I had melted anything. The results were amazing. I swear I put 100 hours on them. They are not the same speakers. They have become rich and full in just five hours.

If you’re in a similar situation please try it!

Louis O

Break-In Tip
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2005, 10:04 pm »
Hi Smitty,

Thanks for the great tip and I have some Alnico's I can try it on. I have the cd too.

Thanks again,
Louis