Anyone try and successfully lower Skylan Stands?

peckjed

Anyone try and successfully lower Skylan Stands?
« on: 17 Mar 2018, 03:10 pm »
As the subject says, has anyone tried to lower Skylan stands? If so, any specific tools/tips? I have 18" 2 post stands, and HAD 20" tall Omega RS8 monitors. I just picked up some SAM HO monitors and being 24" tall my ear doesn't quit line up with the top driver in the designated listening chair. Any suggestions? The HO's sound AMAZING, ill be posting on that later. :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Anyone try and successfully lower Skylan Stands?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2018, 03:58 pm »
Hello peckjed,

A well set up miter saw should do a great job for the posts.  The threaded rods should have the exact same amount taken off them (with a hacksaw).

peckjed

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:31 pm »
Hello peckjed,

A well set up miter saw should do a great job for the posts.  The threaded rods should have the exact same amount taken off them (with a hacksaw).

Thanks! I’ll see if my parents a miter saw I can use, if not it may be a very careful job with my hacksaw.

guf

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:55 pm »
Kind of off topic but what height are you going for to the center of the top driver? Mine are at 35 inches sitting on 16inch cinder blocks.  :| I do have a listening chair that sits a little lower than the ottoman that I use some of the time. So I agree that an inch or two makes a difference in my near field set up.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2018, 10:01 pm by guf »

peckjed

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:24 pm »
As the subject says, has anyone tried to lower Skylan stands? If so, any specific tools/tips? I have 18" 2 post stands, and HAD 20" tall Omega RS8 monitors. I just picked up some SAM HO monitors and being 24" tall my ear doesn't quit line up with the top driver in the designated listening chair. Any suggestions? The HO's sound AMAZING, ill be posting on that later. :)

Not off topic at all! My eames lounger puts my ear right around 34” off the ground. So 2-3” removed from the stand would be ideal to put the top driver center with my ear.

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2018, 12:25 pm »
Another option is the play with speaker tilt.  2- 3” at your listening position is a small adjustment.  At a listening distance of 8 feet, a 3” adjustment only requires about 1.8 degrees of tilt.

If you have a laser pointer at home, tape it to the top of your speaker at a point on the wall equal to your listening distance.  Starting with the floor spikes or leveling feet at their fully-inserted positions, back out the rear threads a small amount at a time (say 1 turn at most) until your laser pointer now points at the new lower position.  Tighten the jam nuts on both the front and rear spikes.

You may lose a very small amount of stability, but with well-weighted stands you should’nt have a problem.  And with less than 2 degrees of tilt, you may not even notice it in the room unless you are really focusing on it.