Replacement for RM5?

Photon46

Replacement for RM5?
« on: 23 Jul 2007, 11:55 am »
Hi Roger,
Let me also welcome you to the Audiocircle, it's great to have your expertise and input here. I'm curious as to why you've dropped the RM5 from your product offerings and if you have a replacement planned? The RM5 was remarkable for it's long life and for good reason. I've still got a RM5III that I bought quite a few years ago and I'm still very impressed by it. Right now I'm alternating between it and and a $4500 Aloia PST 11.01 in my system. In some respects I prefer the presentation of the RM5III, it's a very well musically balanced bit of kit. Thanks, Will

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Replacement for RM5?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2007, 10:59 pm »
Will,

There were several reasons, one of which was the custom switches and pots. I had to buy those 1,000 at a time. Phono had no sign of reviving and I was making amps that could use passive preamps. We offer those.

From a business point of view I should have continued because audio people tend to have a real affection for preamps. If the demand is there I might re-introduce the RM-5, but remote control is almost a requirement these days. Tell me if I am wrong.

I do make a phono preamp, the RM-4+ with extra inputs for line level but no gain. There is a new line stage preamp on the price list, the C-4.

rjones5296

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:56 pm »
Hello
I love my Mkll RM5, the only thing I would like is 1 or 2 line level inputs, I use 2 different reel to reels.
I use phono,tuner, tape 1 for cd, tape 2 for reel to reel.
I would use phono,tuner,cd, and at least 2 line level inputs.
Remote controll I wouldnt care about.
bob

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2008, 06:45 am »
you can use the off position for another input. We do it here for $200 but I bet you can figure it out. The off position is grounded on the board. Cut it loose and hook it up to another pair of jacks.

3117audio

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2008, 12:03 pm »
Roger, I want to thank you for discussing the RM-5 last week, and to put in my vote for the idea of making an inexpensive active linestage section utilizing two toggle-selected inputs. 
Gene S