First comparison of the Mola Mola amps on the net

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: First comparison of the Mola Mola amps on the net
« Reply #60 on: 21 Apr 2013, 09:03 am »
Hypex holds the cards and if you don't play by their rules, they won't sell you the modules...

Sure. Just pointing out that any considerations involving actual laws are constrained by legislative scope - rather relevant considering Hypex is an European company.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #61 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:28 am »
Thanks for the court case info. 

Regardless of law, all any manufacturer must do with any bad or under performing vendor is...............not fill the order. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #62 on: 22 Apr 2013, 01:39 pm »
Regardless of law, all any manufacturer must do with any bad or under performing vendor is...............not fill the order.
And if the vendor doesn't like the manufacturers rules....find another.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. Insults via PM now MedJim? Sheesh :duh: Don't take this all too seriously man!! :lol:

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:09 pm »
And if the vendor doesn't like the manufacturers rules....find another.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. Insults via PM now MedJim? Sheesh :duh: Don't take this all too seriously man!! :lol:

AJ - Medium Jim is sending you insulting and threatening PM's as well?   Here I thought I was special, because he sent me some yesterday.  I feel cheated!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #64 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:12 pm »
AJ - Medium Jim is sending you insulting and threatening PM's as well?   Here I thought I was special, because he sent me some yesterday.  I feel cheated!

Your not alone, insults to me as well.

charles

bummrush

« Reply #65 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:22 pm »
Ice amps have been repackaged for years you think it's not going to happen here?

jackman

« Reply #66 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:25 pm »
  Your not alone, insults to me as well.

charles

In public, he is all "peace and love" John Lennon quotes but in private it's a different song altogether.   It saddens me that you are also getting the same treatment.   :thumb:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #67 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:37 pm »
Group hug. :green:
Now repeat after me, it's audio, just audio!! :thumb:

Hey Charles, CapFest??

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #68 on: 22 Apr 2013, 02:42 pm »
Ice amps have been repackaged for years you think it's not going to happen here?

Not sure if a module can be considered "repackaging", as it's well, sold as a module. Much like a speaker driver. Many Brands use the same driver. Don't consider that repackage, IMHO.

sonicboom

« Reply #69 on: 22 Apr 2013, 03:08 pm »
AJ sorry, but that is not a good analogy at all.  As a speaker designer, you, better that any one else knows that incorporating a driver into a system with a crossover and a cabinet is not a simple task.  That's were the art and science lie.  Would you drop a driver into an arbitrary cab and use a generic textbook crossover? If only it were that simple we would all be star designers!  Putting an amp module into a metal box with some wire and connectors is really not that difficult, even if you go all out with machined metal cases and expensive wire.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2013, 04:40 pm by sonicboom »

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #70 on: 22 Apr 2013, 04:00 pm »
AJ sorry, but that is not a good analogy at all.  As a speaker designer, you, better that any one else knows that incorporating a driver into a system with a crossover and a cabinet is not a simple task.  That's were the art and science lie.  Would you drop a driver into an arbitrary cab and use a generic textbook crossover? If only it where that simple we would all be star designers!  Putting an amp module into a metal box with some wire and connectors is really not that difficult, even if you go all out with machined metal cases and expensive wire.

Umm, ok, let me try again. "Repackaging", as I interpret it, would be me slapping my badge on an entire speaker system, not a driver. Or a Cadillac badge on a Cavalier and call it a Cimarron (aka "Rebranding").
The Ice and Hypex are modules. What entire amps are they making, to be "repackaged"? If simply using their modules are "repackaging", how is that different from using the same driver and calling it 'repackaging"?

cheers,

AJ

sonicboom

« Reply #71 on: 22 Apr 2013, 04:33 pm »
Umm, ok, let me try again. "Repackaging", as I interpret it, would be me slapping my badge on an entire speaker system, not a driver. Or a Cadillac badge on a Cavalier and call it a Cimarron (aka "Rebranding").
The Ice and Hypex are modules. What entire amps are they making, to be "repackaged"? If simply using their modules are "repackaging", how is that different from using the same driver and calling it 'repackaging"?

cheers,

AJ

Okay, I see what you're saying but IMO it's semantics.  Maybe the better descriptive word would be "packaging" as opposed to "repackaging".  Because at the end, that's all these companies do.  There's really no intellectual property put into the amplifier (as a circuit design) by the "packaging" company, aside from the selection of the enclosure and the wiring inside, which is really a trivial task.

neekomax

« Reply #72 on: 22 Apr 2013, 04:53 pm »
AJ sorry, but that is not a good analogy at all.  As a speaker designer, you, better that any one else knows that incorporating a driver into a system with a crossover and a cabinet is not a simple task.  That's were the art and science lie.  Would you drop a driver into an arbitrary cab and use a generic textbook crossover? If only it where that simple we would all be star designers!  Putting an amp module into a metal box with some wire and connectors is really not that difficult, even if you go all out with machined metal cases and expensive wire.

cheers,

AJ

You're both right, in the sense that the product's value to the consumer rests in the value of whatever design innovation the banding company presumably brings to the final assembled product, as well as its implementation of  components readily available the consumer. So a consumer's decision, especialliy n the Hypex case, is can I reasonably make this for myself way cheaper, and have the same or better features that I need?. If one judges the hassle it is to actually make an amp worth a certain premium paid to another guy, why not? If that calculation falls to the side of DIY for too many of its potential customers, bye bye re-branding manufacturer.

neekomax

« Reply #73 on: 22 Apr 2013, 05:32 pm »
... so, erm, how 'bout those Mola Mola amps?  :wink:

Is it just me, were those guys havin' a laugh when they came up with the name "Hypex?"

Rclark

« Reply #74 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:03 pm »
... so, erm, how 'bout those Mola Mola amps?  :wink:

Is it just me, were those guys havin' a laugh when they came up with the name "Hypex?"

A) No. Hypex is very respected as the forefront of class d ever since they introduced the UCD.

B) Bruno is a demigod.

C) We have the NC400. World class power for $2k. So we as consumers have nothing to be pissed about.

D) Even the NC1200 is a value. I think people are losing sight of the fact that this $9000 set of monoblocks was just compared to and considered to be in the range of $50,000 Soluution (?) amps.

That's not impressive?? Sheesh!

E) A lot of people railing against these amps have no experience with them, or a deep seated bias, even irrational hatred towards class d, switching supplies and their advancement.

I LOVE Hypex. One very happy customer here.

neekomax

« Reply #75 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:09 pm »
A) No. Hypex is very respected as the forefront of class d ever since they introduced the UCD.

B) Bruno is a demigod.

C) We have the NC400. World class power for $2k. So we as consumers have nothing to be pissed about.

D) Even the NC1200 is a value. I think people are losing sight of the fact that this $9000 set of monoblocks was just compared to and considered to be in the range of $50,000 Soluution (?) amps.

E) A lot of people railing against these amps have no experience with them, or a deep seated bias, even irrational hatred towards class d, switching supplies and their advancement.

I hear you, no doubt people are really digging those amps.

Just think it's kind of funny, given the nature of the big AC threads right now.

Rclark

« Reply #76 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:10 pm »
I think people are barking up at the right trees, just not this particular one. Hypex is out to save the world, not rip us off.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #77 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:47 pm »
C) We have the NC400. World class power for $2k.
D) Even the NC1200 is a value. (@ >$9k)
According to who? I don't recall when this consensus was attained. Care to shed some light?

I think people are losing sight of the fact that this $9000 set of monoblocks was just compared to and considered to be in the range of $50,000 Soluution (?) amps.

No. Not to me.
Why do you find this purely subjective opinion by someone else to be of such value that you repeatedly tout it? Is it confirmation comfort?
Even if true, that it got close, that still only makes it MidFi compared to the $300k Wavacs.
Because I said so.

E) A lot of people railing against these amps have no experience with them
Oh, that is important? Please do tell us your experience with the $55k amps they are being compared to. TIA.

I would never have guessed... :wink:

cheers,

AJ

Rclark

« Reply #78 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:49 pm »
nope

sonicboom

« Reply #79 on: 22 Apr 2013, 08:14 pm »

Even if true, that it got close, that still only makes it MidFi compared to the $300k Wavacs.
Because I said so.

Good one! Had a good laugh... thanks for that :icon_lol: