OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

Jonathon Janusz

Re: OB H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #80 on: 9 Apr 2016, 04:38 am »
Rich, in my prior apartment (which had an amazing room for sound and was otherwise great until the current owner bought the building) the ceiling caved in on top of my system.  This destroyed a pair of coaxes, and broke (yes, as in snapped the upper baffle in two and split the lower one a good ways down) one of the cabinets while taking significant chunks out of the other. 

I salvaged the tweeters that somehow survived and sent them to Dave (P.I.) for a little experiment; I was curious if cryo treating the tweeters would improve the sound significantly.  Dave happened to have a pair of super-v of his own, a cryo bucket, and some time to kill. :D  So, I figured since the speakers were a loss anyway, if the tweeters died in the cryo tank it was nonetheless for a good cause. 

I tossed the rest of the broken carcass into the dumpster.  I swear for some reason, no matter how great the super-v is, that speaker is my personal DIY kryptonite.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #81 on: 9 Apr 2016, 10:47 am »
Bummer!  Ugh!!!

Captainhemo

« Reply #82 on: 16 Apr 2016, 08:52 pm »
Been working on some sub cabinets to better match the NX-Ottica/NX-Treme  cabinets. They turned  out to be a bit more trouble than I had originally thought but they turned out pretty cool  8)
If we do another run (assuming insterest) at some point, there will be  a few tweaks to the programming to  prevent a few issues and eliminate some  work on my end. 

All have the inliad front/rear grill frames and are sloped at 3 degrees to match the  NX series. I only used a 1" top plate to create  an even 1"   exposed panel on the sides/top when the grills are installed.

Here's a pair with 90 degree edges

Another pair with  all vertical edges rounded with a .5"  radius. Top of the base is also rounded to match the  NX's

jay

bdp24

« Reply #83 on: 16 Apr 2016, 11:58 pm »
I gotta say Jay, making the top 1" so that it matches the sides when the grill frame is in place is just fantastic. Aesthetics separate the men from the boys, and you da man!

Rivalaudio

« Reply #84 on: 18 Apr 2016, 02:43 pm »
removed

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #85 on: 18 Apr 2016, 02:48 pm »
I gotta say Jay, making the top 1" so that it matches the sides when the grill frame is in place is just fantastic. Aesthetics separate the men from the boys, and you da man!

Agreed!

Jay,

Looks freaking amazing bro!

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #86 on: 27 Apr 2016, 03:50 pm »
Well guys,

The subs are playing and life is good!

Review to follow when I catch up!

-ill let the cat out of the bag now...  they are bonkers.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #87 on: 27 Apr 2016, 04:16 pm »
The 2x12's look great!

The H-Frame servo subs sound great here!  Never going back to box subs again.

Captainhemo

« Reply #88 on: 27 Apr 2016, 04:29 pm »
The 2x12's look great!

The H-Frame servo subs sound great here!  Never going back to box subs again.

+1 on all that    :thumb:

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 27 Apr 2016, 08:40 pm »
Well guys,

The subs are playing and life is good!

Review to follow when I catch up!

-ill let the cat out of the bag now...  they are bonkers.

Ron,

+2  :green: I figured you'd like them.  :thumb:

Looking forward to your review.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #90 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:01 pm »

I'll try and grab a couple more when the sun  starts poking through the back door  later this afternoon.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:19 pm »
Jay,

Very nice. What color is that? At first it looked black but the closeups look more brown.

Mike

jseipp

« Reply #92 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:22 pm »
Those look great, Jay!!  Keep on doing your part to populate the audio world with the best bass to be had....

Captainhemo

« Reply #93 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:23 pm »
Jay,

Very nice. What color is that? At first it looked black but the closeups look more brown.

Mike

Thanks Mike, 
They are actually  Midnight Purple,  it is the deepsest , darkest purple.... looks  piano black  until light it, then the rich purple comes out, really cool

Thanks John  :)
jay

bdp24

« Reply #94 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:42 am »
Wow, that is as wet looking as any paint I've ever seen!

Guy 13

« Reply #95 on: 6 Jun 2016, 03:15 am »
Really, really nice.  :thumb:
Nice job Jay.

Guy 13

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #96 on: 6 Jun 2016, 05:46 am »
Love that color Jay, I too think that is the wettest  looking paint I have ever seen :thumb:

Great work Jay!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #97 on: 6 Jun 2016, 07:29 am »
Darn it, Jay!

Stop it already. You know darned well I'm going to be in your area in August, and you know darned well I'm interested in OB subs, and you know darned well I have a weakness for really good deals in audio - especially when it is very well made by people I know and trust. I fear something horrible might happen to my bank account before too much longer.

Did I mention to you that it turns out I don't have to get a root canal? I saved $1100! Uh oh. Now what am I going to do with that EXTRA cash? Melody may never forgive you, you know?

Someone out there....please help me. Don't let me do this.  :peek:

Perhaps, I'll sleep it off. Yeah. I'll just forget about this thread and its pretty pictures. G'night!

Guy 13

« Reply #98 on: 6 Jun 2016, 07:43 am »
Darn it, Jay!

Stop it already. You know darned well I'm going to be in your area in August, and you know darned well I'm interested in OB subs, and you know darned well I have a weakness for really good deals in audio - especially when it is very well made by people I know and trust. I fear something horrible might happen to my bank account before too much longer.

Did I mention to you that it turns out I don't have to get a root canal? I saved $1100! Uh oh. Now what am I going to do with that EXTRA cash? Melody may never forgive you, you know?

Someone out there....please help me. Don't let me do this.  :peek:

Perhaps, I'll sleep it off. Yeah. I'll just forget about this thread and its pretty pictures. G'night!

Why do you need a pair of OB sub-woofers ? ? ?
Your wife will take them for her Karaoke singing !  :lol:
I am sure that's not what you want !  :(

Guy 13

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #99 on: 6 Jun 2016, 10:50 am »
Jay,
Cool!  And you can stack them if needed!  :)