OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #60 on: 21 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm »
Jay,
Do all three 8" drivers face forward? 

If the middle 8" is reversed, does it have holes in the baffle to feed the wiring through?

Captainhemo

« Reply #61 on: 21 Mar 2016, 11:14 pm »
Jay,
Do all three 8" drivers face forward? 

If the middle 8" is reversed, does it have holes in the baffle to feed the wiring through?

Rich
These are triple 12's, haven't done any 8's yet.  The center woofer is reversed and yes, there is a hole for wiring pass through, it's  in the  top  left corner  of the center woofer  "chamber",  just can't see it   at that angle I guess

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #62 on: 22 Mar 2016, 12:11 am »
Got it.   :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #63 on: 6 Apr 2016, 03:00 am »
not really an update but kind of comical....... I've posted a pic or two of  our dog in the past  who like to "supervise" in the  shop...  guess she was in there again today while I was    working and  then showed up at the back door  needing to be  cleaned up  :o  (no, she is not locked in the garage while I'm working, the backdoor is open and she comes and goes as she pleases)

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #64 on: 6 Apr 2016, 05:59 am »
Jay,

I'm pretty sure she is just making sure you are doing good work :lol: Looks like she really gets into her job :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #65 on: 6 Apr 2016, 12:28 pm »
Jay,
your friendly looking dog is making sure nobody distract you
while you are making some wood art works.

Guy 13

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #66 on: 7 Apr 2016, 06:02 pm »
Hey folks!

Wanted to give a shout out to Jay, Don and Danny. For those who dont know me, I am the owner and operator of www.newrecordday.com. I have knocked out a number of reviews and wanted to accept the challenge of jumping into DIY. I purchased the H-Frame Packs along with the goodies from Danny and will eventually knock out a video review chatting about my impressions. Anyway - for now, I gotta say the work being done by Jay and company is second to none. If anyone is questioning the quality, workmanship, active communication or anything else - DONT! These guys are doing a fantastic job!

Ill shutup now and let the images speak for themselves.

PS: Jay noticed I am missing the veneer trim on the center support piece so ill make sure I fix that...

Who doesnt like CNC'ed MDF?!

Dry fit looks great! Like a nice puzzle!

First veneer piece went down like a champ! Knotty Hickory!

Veneer knocked out on the first sub!

Choosing a color for the baffle was tough but I decided white looked nice! This is just flat Rustoleum enamel with a roller.

Yup, that worked!

What we need now is to make that wood POP!

And now for the second sub... 

Thanks!

Tools used:

Veneer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121774686397?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Router:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-1-4-HP-Compact-Router-RT0701C/204247210?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools%7c&gclid=CJy0_4mN_csCFYeUfgodNukADw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Router bit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1-2-in-3-Flute-Flush-Trim-Bit-DR44100/202585369

Wood Glue:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-128-fl-oz-Original-Wood-Glue-5066/100184746

Feel free to ask any questions! I am happy to help... 

With the Veneer, I simply used wood glue on the back of the Veneer and on the substrate (mdf). Let it dry...  get an iron and crank the heat. Get a paper bag to protect the veneer, press firmly and off you go...  just keep moving from one side to the other to avoid bubbles etc.

jseipp

« Reply #67 on: 7 Apr 2016, 06:24 pm »
Looks great!!  :thumb:

I just heard from Jay that you were doing a pair; I was excited to see how you would choose to finish them.  I have a set on the way.... 

I've been running the duals in my own cabinets for awhile -- I look forward to your review, introducing them to folks who don't yet know about the wonders of open-baffle, servo-controlled bass. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #68 on: 7 Apr 2016, 08:36 pm »
They are looking great Ron  :thumb:

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:19 pm »
+1  Looking good Ron.

Speaking from recent experience (er, screw up), the wiring diagram is very helpful  :duh:

Mike

Guy 13

« Reply #70 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:36 pm »
Ron, those are really nice looking.
I would have made then a little darker,
but that's me...
May I ask why you painted the inside white ????

Guy 13

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #71 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:39 pm »
Those look great!  I really like the white baffles.  :thumb:

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #72 on: 7 Apr 2016, 09:54 pm »
Ron, those are really nice looking.
I would have made then a little darker,
but that's me...
May I ask why you painted the inside white ????

Guy 13

Thanks Guy,

I went with the white baffle because I like the look and I dont see it all that often.

Everyone else: Thanks for comments! I will be doing matching NX-Oticas as well.

ebag4

« Reply #73 on: 8 Apr 2016, 12:49 am »
Great job Ron, those look fantastic.  You aren't kidding regarding Jay and Don's work, outstanding!

I too felt that there weren't enough white baffles when I built these:

Enjoy the bass, I know you will!  :thumb:

Best,
Ed

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #74 on: 8 Apr 2016, 12:57 am »
Ron, I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the photos, but it looks like you've still got some exposed MDF on the side panels and center braces.  If those areas are still unfinished, you probably want to do something there to seal up the MDF for moisture prevention.

I also have really enjoyed lighter colors on speakers.  The X-LS I've got right now are the original 'white shadow maple' from AV123, and the super-v cabinets I had (before they died) were clear birch ply.  Very hip look with midcentury modern still trending as a look people are after.  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #75 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:01 am »
Jonathon,
What happened to the Super-V's?

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #76 on: 8 Apr 2016, 01:13 am »
Ron, I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the photos, but it looks like you've still got some exposed MDF on the side panels and center braces.  If those areas are still unfinished, you probably want to do something there to seal up the MDF for moisture prevention.

I also have really enjoyed lighter colors on speakers.  The X-LS I've got right now are the original 'white shadow maple' from AV123, and the super-v cabinets I had (before they died) were clear birch ply.  Very hip look with midcentury modern still trending as a look people are after.  :thumb:

Not quite done...

No-res will line the exposed side panels

bdp24

« Reply #77 on: 8 Apr 2016, 05:10 am »
I'm going to do my baffles black because I'll be using grills, and the baffles showing through the cloth is not something I'll want to see (too cluttered looking---less is more). I'll also be putting a black felt cover on the backside of the woofer that faces the listener, so you won't see the driver either. I also don't want to see the front of the brace running across the width of the frame behind the grill cloth, breaking the rectangular frame into two square boxes and spoiling the elegant proportions of the frame, so it too will be painted. Black is beautiful, baby! But that's one of the great things about DIY---make yours how YOU want them.

Ron

« Reply #78 on: 8 Apr 2016, 11:48 am »
   Your speakers look great Ron!  I really like the knotty hickory veneer that you used. The white baffles are nice contrast. You are right Ed.  Jay and Don's work is outstanding. Also, they are both very honest and straight forward in their business dealings with other people. I've been corresponding and working with Jay for a number of years on different speaker building project. Jay is a great guy and very passionate about speaker building and electronics.  It has been a real pleasure knowing and working with Jay.

Thanks Ron for posting the nice pictures of your assembled H-Frame Flat Packs. Looking forward to seeing and reading your review.

Ron J

Captainhemo

« Reply #79 on: 8 Apr 2016, 02:25 pm »
Really appreciate all the feedback guy, love seeing the  end results of these  cabinets  too , keep the pics coming  guys :beer:

jay