OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

Nick77

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs
« Reply #500 on: 8 Nov 2019, 03:03 pm »
I believe the diagram is different if both drivers are facing forward.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #501 on: 8 Nov 2019, 03:52 pm »
Jay posted a comprehensive set of wiring diagrams for the different possibilities of driver configuration. You can find those here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.msg1600884#msg1600884

The reason both sets of terminals are used is because one set is for the driver coil and the other set is for the servo control coil. You have to use both, they have to be properly connected together, and connected to the correct pair of wires on the amp.

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #502 on: 8 Nov 2019, 04:55 pm »
If you are using a HX800 amp the color codes are different for each channel, so get them wired correctly.  If not one half the sub is reversed polarity and cancels the output from the other side.  Took me a while to figure that out.

birkbott

« Reply #503 on: 8 Nov 2019, 09:06 pm »
Jay posted a comprehensive set of wiring diagrams for the different possibilities of driver configuration. You can find those here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.msg1600884#msg1600884

The reason both sets of terminals are used is because one set is for the driver coil and the other set is for the servo control coil. You have to use both, they have to be properly connected together, and connected to the correct pair of wires on the amp.

Mike

This is perfect, thank you!

birkbott

« Reply #504 on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:45 pm »
I have another noob question. I'm finding it difficult to locate 1" MDF in my area (northern NJ). Would it be feasible to glue two 1/2" sheets together for the main baffle? Or should I look for 1" plywood or some other material?

Danny Richie

« Reply #505 on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:49 pm »
I have another noob question. I'm finding it difficult to locate 1" MDF in my area (northern NJ). Would it be feasible to glue two 1/2" sheets together for the main baffle? Or should I look for 1" plywood or some other material?

Gluing up sheets of MDF is not a problem.

Captainhemo

« Reply #506 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:23 am »
If you are using a HX800 amp the color codes are different for each channel, so get them wired correctly.  If not one half the sub is reversed polarity and cancels the output from the other side.  Took me a while to figure that out.

A little late  to this but,    I also  posted  the  wiring color codes for the different amps in  that thread as well

There's schematics as well as  written  step by step    instructions  to wire these things up in different configs.. just pck the  right   setup  for your   build

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #507 on: 4 Dec 2019, 07:33 pm »
Satin white (20 degree sheen)   duals with  amp boxes/ grill frames.
Big .5"  radius on all outer edges and  a smaller,  .25"  radius on inner edge of grill recess and   on allouter  edges of amp boxes
3/8 x 3/8 N52  cylinder magnets were pre-installed from   rear of braces.
 We were going to wrap  the grills in  white  but the customer   is stillundecided on color  so   he'll be wrapping them himself.

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #508 on: 4 Dec 2019, 09:00 pm »
I don't imagine I get a vote, but the black drivers with some black no-see-um grill net would be really striking. But then I'm all about no-see-um grills since using it. Sheer and sexy, ya know!

Captainhemo

« Reply #509 on: 4 Dec 2019, 11:54 pm »
I don't imagine I get a vote, but the black drivers with some black no-see-um grill net would be really striking. But then I'm all about no-see-um grills since using it. Sheer and sexy, ya know!

Well,  I think you  just  volted    :lol:
Hopefully  when he gets them all fisnished up  and playing he'll   share  some pics  here or send me some to post

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #510 on: 5 Dec 2019, 12:10 am »
Jay,

What type of paint and topcoat did you use on those?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #511 on: 5 Dec 2019, 06:13 am »
It's Valspar Cloud White  and a   Valspar 20 degree Clear Lacquer on tp.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #512 on: 5 Dec 2019, 06:38 am »
Is that a latex paint?

Mike

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #513 on: 5 Dec 2019, 03:24 pm »
Is that a latex paint?

Mike

I doubt it under top coat, Mike, assuming solvent based lacquer. Most lacquer can be tinted enough to be opaque, which the method most often used by cabinet manufacturers for a "painted" finish. In the furniture and car finishing worlds, acrylics (latex is an acrylic resin) have almost no place where they perform well. Better on walls.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #514 on: 5 Dec 2019, 03:44 pm »
I doubt it under top coat, Mike, assuming solvent based lacquer. Most lacquer can be tinted enough to be opaque, which the method most often used by cabinet manufacturers for a "painted" finish. In the furniture and car finishing worlds, acrylics (latex is an acrylic resin) have almost no place where they perform well. Better on walls.

That’s what I thought but when I looked up Valspar Cloud White I only got results foe Lowes latex paint

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #515 on: 5 Dec 2019, 04:36 pm »
It's just a color name. Places that provide finishes to industry can tint to any color in my ginormous color fan sourced from a paint supplier with all the funny names.  They also run under the radar of the general population, being targeted mostly at industry for a variety of reasons. Nasty solvents being one of them.

And FWIW, although sheen is often expressed in "degrees", it's actually referring to a percentage. It's  the percentage of reflected light from a given surface measured with a Glossmeter. No kidding, there is such a tool! A glossy surface reflects a higher % than matte, for example. "Matte" or "dull" typically around 15-25% sheen although the "matte"  part is largely at the discretion of manufacturer. There is no real standard for terms like "gloss", "semi-gloss" "satin" etc.

Captainhemo

« Reply #516 on: 6 Dec 2019, 04:03 am »
Is that a latex paint?

Mike

No, it's lacquer

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #517 on: 6 Dec 2019, 04:13 am »
It's just a color name. Places that provide finishes to industry can tint to any color in my ginormous color fan sourced from a paint supplier with all the funny names.  They also run under the radar of the general population, being targeted mostly at industry for a variety of reasons. Nasty solvents being one of them.

And FWIW, although sheen is often expressed in "degrees", it's actually referring to a percentage. It's  the percentage of reflected light from a given surface measured with a Glossmeter. No kidding, there is such a tool! A glossy surface reflects a higher % than matte, for example. "Matte" or "dull" typically around 15-25% sheen although the "matte"  part is largely at the discretion of manufacturer. There is no real standard for terms like "gloss", "semi-gloss" "satin" etc.

Peter summed it right up  :)
This customer  wanted    a finish closer to dull as opposed to   gloos or even "satin" .  The  Valspar  20 degree ( ort so it is called) fit the bill  nicely...  it     gives  just  a  bit of   sheen  but  without  being overly  relfective.

jay

shumi

OB triple Hframes
« Reply #518 on: 25 Jan 2020, 12:28 pm »
jay,
can you please email me with the total cost for a dual triple H frames shipped to 23301? What is the total weight? How many boxes and dimensions?
Thanks very much

ketchup

« Reply #519 on: 26 Jan 2020, 04:44 am »
This may be a stupid question, but how do these amps get the input signal?  Do you need a preamp with two sets of outputs or can you use a splitter near the amps?