OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

Captainhemo

Re: H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2016, 06:51 am »
What about a single OB sub frame?  I already have duals but have considered adding another pair to the mix.  Plus they would be easier to deal with than the triple frames.

corndog
I hadn't  really considered it as when I looked at doing that to mine a while back, I  just didn't feel it would look that good. You'd end up with a pretty  thick  area between the  2nd and 3rd drivers. 

The grill implementation looks really good!
Thanks John

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2016, 03:03 pm »
corndog
I hadn't  really considered it as when I looked at doing that to mine a while back, I  just didn't feel it would look that good. You'd end up with a pretty  thick  area between the  2nd and 3rd drivers. 
jay

Looks don't matter that much to me.  Since my long term goal is to get a pair of MMGs I was thinking a single sub under the MMG would be kinda cool.  I put too much work into my duals to start over.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:02 pm »
Looks don't matter that much to me.  Since my long term goal is to get a pair of MMGs I was thinking a single sub under the MMG would be kinda cool.  I put too much work into my duals to start over.

I have a pair of the MMG's over here right now. I am going to give them a good examination and figure out what I can do with them. I think there is a lot that can be done with them.

jparkhur

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:25 pm »
I have a pair of the MMG's over here right now. I am going to give them a good examination and figure out what I can do with them. I think there is a lot that can be done with them.

I would like to know how much power they need Danny when you are done

Captainhemo

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2016, 04:48 pm »

I'll shoot yo ua pm  CD

jay

orientalexpress

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2016, 06:39 pm »
i would like a pair to fit quad 57 on top would be nice  :thumb:,i understand if it too much trouble. :D

bdp24

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2016, 08:14 pm »
i would like a pair to fit quad 57 on top would be nice  :thumb:,i understand if it too much trouble. :D

The 2-12 H-frame can be laid down and used on it's side, serving double duty as a stand for the Quad 57. The dimensions of the frame so positioned are perfect for the job---16" high (the side-to-side width of the frame becoming the height) and 30" long (the top-to-bottom height becoming the length). And, the GR Research OB/Dipole Sub is THE sub for the 57! Just isolate the two from each other to prevent the frame vibrations from reaching the 57.

jseipp

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jan 2016, 11:28 pm »
I've been communicating with Jay (aka Captainhemo) for the past few days about the design for a pair of triple H-frames, and I want to let everyone know that you won't find anyone more willing and gracious in working with you to create exactly the finished results that you desire.

If anyone reading this is even slightly considering moving into the world of servo-controlled, open-baffle bass, then I highly recommend that you send a message to Jay and find out for yourself that a collaboration of some really great designers and great guys has come together to make these available.  I have been running dual ob servos with Danny's Wedgies and I can say that there is no going back for me.  What Jay is offering is the opportunity to get that sound in a top-grade cabinet that is customized to your tastes.  He will share all his experience with finishing and setting up the final product.  Jay is also downright passionate about getting things just right, and loves to communicate about his and others' musical creations.

I haven't seen the cabinets that are being cut for me yet, but I can picture them perfectly next to the NX-s that I intend to pair with them.  That combination is something I can't imagine affording from a "major manufacturer," and Jay has made me feel a part of the process from the beginning, a collaborator on a project well beyond my skills.  That alone turns the purchase into an experience, in the best possible sense.

I feel remiss in waiting this long to speak up on the board about my experience thus far.  I would just like folks here at AC, many of whom I've learned a great deal from and have had a great time getting to know, to recognize the opportunity and to consider incorporating a pair of these beautiful monsters into their systems.  I will of course share impressions and pictures when they arrive.  Jay is going the extra mile in trying to help me work out a way to get them here without requiring UPS.  That's just one more thing that he has done that makes me want to speak up and hopefully encourage others here to share in this offer.

Grateful as always for the great folks here at AC --

John

bdp24

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2016, 01:21 am »
Great post John! I can second your testimonial, as I have been doing the same with Jay on a pair of the double-12 H-frames. He is going way beyond what could be reasonably expected, and is accommodating my specific requests, the flush-mounted "inset" grill frame being just one. I already have a set of W-frames (bought as flat packs from the out-of-business Elemental Designs), but Jays frames are really well designed, and CNC cut, offered at a very reasonable price. Bravo!

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2016, 04:08 am »
thank you guys, appreciate the comments.
Picked up the first run of  pieces this afternoon.  The inlaid grill mods didn't make the  first cutting, we'll cut the  rabbets tomorrow and add roundovers to  the ones we need to. 

Here's a few pics  of one of John's triples:

Base with dowels, there are also a coule of screws that go through the base into the side panel (pre-drilled , dowels and screws will of course be supplied)

Drop the side panels over the dowels

Slide the baffle in (front / rear roundovers to come)

top with dowels ready to  cap the  frame

Slip braces into position

Wiring holes in braces and baffle

Pre-drilled screw holes

Like I said, rabbets will be added, grill frames were cut (most of them), I'll also add a  rdius to the rear of each driver hole just because it can't hurt :)

For anyone wanting the easiest, least amount of work, I do recommend you go with the over haninging  tops/bases.  No matter how precise the cuts, if you go with the fluosh pieces, you will have  a seam to deal with  and that means some minor filling and sanding after gluing and  clamping

With the 1"  baffles and braces, thiese things are  "beefy"  !!

jay

« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2016, 04:52 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2016, 04:58 am »
With the 1"  baffles and braces, thiese things are  "beefy"  !!

jay

I'll bet they are. The triple 8" H-Frames I built weigh in at almost 100lbs each.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jan 2016, 03:27 am »
Here are a pair of duals with the overhanging tops/bases. Think I mentioned it already, the  grill frame rabbets didn't make it into the  program for this run, I still need to  cut them. The grill frames worked out nicely and will   sit just   a bit  behind the   front edge of the   side panels.

You  can  use them as tables too ;0

Grill frames worked out well and are a perfect  match ...  there is approx  .125"   vetically and horizonatlly afte the  rabets ... a piece of velcro or an N52 magnet  in each corner will easily  hold these in place

and from the side

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2016, 03:53 am »
Jay, you are doing a fantastic job and making a lot of people happy!

You are bad thou :nono: I'm now rethinking what I want to do with my systems and how I can move gear around to accommodate some new subs.

Captainhemo

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2016, 04:12 am »
Thanks  Greg

I'll plant a seed.... NX - Tremes  with  triple servo subs on either side.....
jay

jseipp

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2016, 08:47 am »
I can attest... that's one powerful seed -- I'm on track for exactly that setup, and yeah, it's pretty exciting  :thumb:.

After becoming absolutely absorbed by the Wedgies, with Danny talking about the servos/NX-Tremes being a reference for a very long time, and with Jay doing a great job of turning these into some truly elegant designs, I'll change metaphors and say that the hook is set for me.... 

THROWBACK

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2016, 01:56 pm »
jay

Here's another seed. I heard a system--I believe it was at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, but it could have been at the Capital Audio Fest--that had two triple stacks per side. Whoooeee! You wouldn't think the extra 3 per side would make that much difference, but I thought they lent an air of authority and lower-frequency ease that was quite compelling. If I get really ambitious . . .

But then I'd have to get two more A370PEQ's, etc., etc., etc.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2016, 06:43 pm »
Thanks  Greg

jay

Well, I'm really enjoying my custom super V's Ruben built for me but they sounded better than anything I've had in my great room before. Now they are in my new room which is how I was planning on leaving things. If I move my Super V's back to the great room I do have room for that seed you just planted. You are making this very difficult for me Jay :duh:

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jan 2016, 12:04 am »
 Here are the rabbets cut fro the  frill frames

Then  the grill frames  fit nicxley

The rabbets are just under 1" wide, grill frames are  .75". After wrapping with cloth and using some velcor  to secure in place, they should  end up very close to flush.  About  1/16"  all around the frame

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #38 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:18 pm »

-jay

jseipp

« Reply #39 on: 1 Feb 2016, 09:47 pm »
Have it yoooour waaaaaay....  :D

They all look great -- I could find a spot for each set.