NX-Otica, NX-Studio and Double Trouble - It's Build Time

rinzzlr

Re: NX-Otica, NX-Studio and Double Trouble - It's Build Time
« Reply #80 on: 30 Dec 2023, 04:18 pm »
You aren't going to see a lot of differences in No Rez from a room response decay. Just a slight change in volume from one to the other will override everything.

A room decay rate shows how long it takes for a signal to stop after reflecting around in the room.

The No Rez will tighten up the cabinet wall resonances. So that the coloration that the cabinet contributed is reduced or eliminated. Out of band harmonics from the cabinet resonances are reduced or eliminated as well.

So a cleaner and more musical presentation is the result.
This is precisely what I observed with my ears after the No Rez. It sounds cleaner. @Danny would the SPL graph from REW be the most impacted by the addition of No Rez, or some other graph the tool offers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #81 on: 30 Dec 2023, 10:33 pm »
This is precisely what I observed with my ears after the No Rez. It sounds cleaner. @Danny would the SPL graph from REW be the most impacted by the addition of No Rez, or some other graph the tool offers?

The best way to impact a REW measurement is with the addition of room treatment.

To see what No Rez is doing it is best to measure panel resonances with an accelerometer.

timc90

« Reply #82 on: 12 Feb 2024, 03:30 pm »
They were assembled unpainted, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded then painted whole.

This is such a gorgeous build! Thank you for posting about it. I hope my build will turn out okay.

I was hoping to understand more from you regarding the finishing. How was a gloss finish achieved on the inward facing surfaces (the panels around the sub driver, the braces on the NX-Otica etc)? All the videos I've watched about sanding, buffing and polishing use random orbital sanders or circular pads which would not be able to access the corners where three surfaces meet (like where I've circled in one of your photos).

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #83 on: 12 Feb 2024, 03:48 pm »

I was hoping to understand more from you regarding the finishing. How was a gloss finish achieved on the inward facing surfaces (the panels around the sub driver, the braces on the NX-Otica etc)? All the videos I've watched about sanding, buffing and polishing use random orbital sanders or circular pads which would not be able to access the corners where three surfaces meet (like where I've circled in one of your photos).

In finishing projects like this, there are a few tricks to be done to insure quality gloss levels inside corners like this. First off, really knowing the materials and flash times between coats is an absolute must. We always joke there are many applicators in body shops, but very few painters. Secondly, for a body shop to be able to use slower reducers and hardeners when spraying is very helpful, but again a critical issue is they must know the product well to manipulate this. This tactic is fantastic to let everything really level out smooth, but can easily lead to disaster if complacent. Third, for the "in case $#!+" purposes there is always the ability to sand and polish by hand any debris and texture. I would recommend stocking up on ibuprofen if option 3 is used.

Most of the time the super glass smooth gloss finish is a "Good enough" scenario on the back corners. In those instances, sand and buff out what you can but the tight 3 wall corners might have a little orange peel in there.

timc90

« Reply #84 on: 13 Feb 2024, 03:33 am »
...First off, really knowing the materials and flash times between coats is an absolute must. We always joke there are many applicators in body shops, but very few painters. Secondly, for a body shop to be able to use slower reducers and hardeners when spraying is very helpful, but again a critical issue is they must know the product well to manipulate this. This tactic is fantastic to let everything really level out smooth, but can easily lead to disaster if complacent. Third, for the "in case $#!+" purposes there is always the ability to sand and polish by hand any debris and texture. I would recommend stocking up on ibuprofen if option 3 is used.

Most of the time the super glass smooth gloss finish is a "Good enough" scenario on the back corners. In those instances, sand and buff out what you can but the tight 3 wall corners might have a little orange peel in there.

Thank you so much @nlitworld for the guidance!

Unfortunately I am neither applicator nor painter. I don't even have a workshop and will be working on this project in my apartment/ out on the street  :( I have no compressor/ spray gun and hence will be relying solely on spray cans  :cry:

Looks like I'll be going with option 3 then? Or could I paint, polish and mask the individual panels then assemble and glue everything together?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #85 on: 13 Feb 2024, 05:13 am »
Thank you so much @nlitworld for the guidance!

Unfortunately I am neither applicator nor painter. I don't even have a workshop and will be working on this project in my apartment/ out on the street  :( I have no compressor/ spray gun and hence will be relying solely on spray cans  :cry:

Looks like I'll be going with option 3 then? Or could I paint, polish and mask the individual panels then assemble and glue everything together?

Send me a message when you're ready to start in on the project and I'll walk you through your options.

-Lloyd