Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #300 on: 26 Dec 2021, 02:48 pm »
If you get a front baffle, the kit comes with cabinet plans. If you get the flatpack, it's pretty self explanatory, and it's best to do a couple dry runs for assembling the flatpack. Peter also has a great assembly video on his YouTube channel for how it should fit together.

And if you ever get stuck, you're always free to ask questions and get confirmation/clarification if you get stuck on something.  :thumb:

jlucas

« Reply #301 on: 26 Dec 2021, 05:50 pm »
Well, additional fiber fill wasn’t mention in anything I received, so if that is needed I need details.

While we are answering questions…. :)
Does the tweeter orientation matter? (I would have mounted 180deg from what is shown here)

Any tip for soldering to foil inductors?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #302 on: 26 Dec 2021, 06:55 pm »
Additional filler is recommended, but not necessary.
Fiberglass or rockwool are generally recommended, but even loosely placed polyfill over the crossover and against the back of the speaker are ghe best place in terms of the NX-Studio.

Tweeter orientation doesn't matter, but it easier to install the driver with the tabs at the top.

As for foil inductors here is a helpful post:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177128.msg1864778#msg1864778

indiehouse

« Reply #303 on: 30 Dec 2021, 07:19 pm »
Hi nadirmg. The instructions come with the parts kit when you buy it. I don't know for sure but they may be on Danny's web site. Good luck and have fun! Wonderful loudspeakers!

@Sonicjoy or anyone else that could help, I am finally ready to start building! I have the Flatpack here and all the parts from Danny. I really love how Sonicjoy's speakers turned out, and would like to build mine the same. I am looking to order some paperbacked cherry veneer. I found a place called veneersupplies, but let me know if anyone has a better or more affordable place to order.

My question for now is, what adhesive did you use to glue the veneer to MDF? Joe at Veneersupplies suggests contact cement, and he sells a version, but it's almost $30 for a quart.

Any advice here?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #304 on: 30 Dec 2021, 10:11 pm »
@Sonicjoy or anyone else that could help, I am finally ready to start building! I have the Flatpack here and all the parts from Danny. I really love how Sonicjoy's speakers turned out, and would like to build mine the same. I am looking to order some paperbacked cherry veneer. I found a place called veneersupplies, but let me know if anyone has a better or more affordable place to order.

My question for now is, what adhesive did you use to glue the veneer to MDF? Joe at Veneersupplies suggests contact cement, and he sells a version, but it's almost $30 for a quart.

Any advice here?

I think Joe's pricing and selection is as good as any, plus you're supporting small business, which I favor. Unless you've worked with contact glue and are confident in your abilities, Heat Lock is more forgiving if you've never veneered before. I suspect the contact glue he sells is somewhat like one I used forever, 3M 30NF. Great glue, but not cheap. Don't assume it's the same as something from Big Box like Weldwood.
If you haven't seen it, I did a video on veneering with Heatlock.

indiehouse

« Reply #305 on: 30 Dec 2021, 10:23 pm »
I think Joe's pricing and selection is as good as any, plus you're supporting small business, which I favor. Unless you've worked with contact glue and are confident in your abilities, Heat Lock is more forgiving if you've never veneered before. I suspect the contact glue he sells is somewhat like one I used forever, 3M 30NF. Great glue, but not cheap. Don't assume it's the same as something from Big Box like Weldwood.
If you haven't seen it, I did a video on veneering with Heatlock.

How much will I need? Looks like Joe is discontinuing this due to price increases. A pint ($18) or a gallon ($43) are my only two choices. For the contact cement, he has a quart for $28. I just have no idea how much I’ll need.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #306 on: 30 Dec 2021, 10:40 pm »
That's first I've heard of discontinuation of Heatlock. In all honesty, I think he's misjudged the market.

I suspect you could get by with a pint of Heatlock. A quart of either would be plenty.

timc90

« Reply #307 on: 11 Feb 2024, 01:03 pm »
Hi folks! I made some more progress on the NX Studio's this weekend. These are coming along nicely and I am having fun building them.

Both sides are now installed.

I have decided on the color scheme. The side panels are going to be clear finished cherry and the front and top will be black.
That was my original idea and I decided to stick with that.
I cut a saw kerf with a thin kerf blade on the table saw between the baffle and the side panels for an nice clean dividing line between the colors. It's about 1/16 inch deep.

I installed brass threaded inserts in the bottom for attaching the stands. I left a lip around the bottom edge to hide the mounting plate of the stand.

The 7/16 inch holes for the tube connectors.

After the first coat of finish. Boy that really brings out the grain of the cherry.

This is after three coats. I'm not sure how many coats I will put on. Just have to see how it looks. Probably at least five or six.

I also used a sealer on all MDF surfaces inside and out.

Next will be the black paint. (The back and bottom will also be black.) Then adding the Norez and installing the grill cloth and grill mounts.
At that point I will be ready to build the cross overs and then final assembly. Getting there.

Hello @sonicjoy! Thank you so much for this amazing thread. I just placed my order for an NX-Studio kit and flat pack. But before I build it, I'm going to build a much cheaper kit from Parts Express to get a little bit of practice.

What sealer did you use on the MDF surfaces? I've tried a Krylon clear polyurethane spray can, https://www.krylon.com/en/products/specialty/clear-polyurethane-coating?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r, but it doesn't seem to be very effective on the edges (photo below) :(

Also, am curious, why do you seal all MDF surfaces inside and out?