OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

Captainhemo

Prices are  $650 / pair duals, $850 / pair triples, boxes and shipping materials were much more costly than expected.  These things are going to be heavy (approx 75lbs x 2 for duals, 95 lbs x 2 triples.)

As seen later in this thread, there are options for inlaid grill frames for duals @ $60 /pr, triples  @ $75/pr.
Also shown later in thread are some amp boxes that will fit the A370PEQ and HX800 amps. These boxes are 45'd in the corners and  each corner has a #20 biscuit. Assembly is simple.  $60 /pr with  a flat pack  or $70 /pr alone (helps cover a box and packing).

All pricing is in $US.

The duals measure  16" w x 14" d x 30" h. 
The triples measure 16' w x 14" d x 44" h. 
Bases/ tops are 19" x 17", a smaller  overhanging top is also available.
The overhanging tops are much simpler for people to  prep (glue them up, give a light sanding, prime, and paint,), no seams to deal with.

The cabinets use both dadoes and  dowels to  make asembly very easy. Both the baffle and braces will fit into dados..
Each side panel  will have a pair of dowels in each end that will mate witht he top plate and  base also aiding alignment.
Here is an assembly video that Peter Rawlings did for us :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBmmJzS_iU&feature=youtu.be

Contact us if you  are wanting something specific

Cabinets:
1.5" MDF  side panels, tops, bases
1" MDF baffles & brases
Combination of dados / dowels for  side panel/baffle/base/top alignment. easy toassemble :beer:
Driver mounting screw holes pre drilled
Round-over on rear side of driver cutouts
CNC cut

jay

« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2022, 05:23 pm by Captainhemo »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2015, 01:48 pm »
  Cool. What State are you in  ?

charles

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2015, 04:06 pm »
  Cool. What State are you in  ?

charles

Look "up and to the left"  (BC)   :lol:
Mostly shipping out of WA to help keep pricing down. These are heavy and  there are 2 boxes per shipment.

jay
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2016, 05:39 am by Captainhemo »

bdp24

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2015, 11:10 pm »
Fantastic Jay! I know that one point of a flat pack is to be able to offer it at the lowest price possible by making a run of identical ones, keeping the number of table saw set-ups and cuts as low as possible. But since you just mentioned the frame may be offered with the choice of either an overhanging or flush top, let me ask you the following:

1- Would you consider making the same choice for the bottom, i.e. flush with the sides?

2- All that would be necessary for an inset front grill to be possible is for the horizontal middle brace to stop short of the front edge of the side panels by, say, an inch. Would you consider making a set of frames with the front brace one inch shallower? If not, it would be easy for the buyer to cut (or have cut) an inch off each brace. Then, little blocks could be glued into the four inner corners of the H-frame onto which the grill frames could be secured, for a clean finished look to the H-frame.

3- If the answer to question 2 is yes, would you consider making the grill frames themselves? Just a simple 3/4" MDF frame (picture frame style) with perhaps a strip across the middle (running horizontally, left to right) to prevent the long sides of the grill frame from bowing inward when the grill cloth is stretched tight across it. If not, it wouldn't be too difficult to put a set together by anyone desiring them, from strips of MDF.

4- Will you be offering a simple MDF box for the Rythmik plate amp?

Whether the answer to these questions is yes or no, the H-frame is very welcomed. Thanks for offering them!---Eric.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2015, 11:53 pm »
Fantastic Jay! I know that one point of a flat pack is to be able to offer it at the lowest price possible by making a run of identical ones, keeping the number of table saw set-ups and cuts as low as possible. But since you just mentioned the frame may be offered with the choice of either an overhanging or flush top, let me ask you the following:

1- Would you consider making the same choice for the bottom, i.e. flush with the sides?
Yup, no issue with that. I've actually made the base and top  panel interchangeable to simply

2- All that would be necessary for an inset front grill to be possible is for the horizontal middle brace to stop short of the front edge of the side panels by, say, an inch. Would you consider making a set of frames with the front brace one inch shallower? If not, it would be easy for the buyer to cut (or have cut) an inch off each brace. Then, little blocks could be glued into the four inner corners of the H-frame onto which the grill frames could be secured, for a clean finished look to the H-frame.

3- If the answer to question 2 is yes, would you consider making the grill frames themselves? Just a simple 3/4" MDF frame (picture frame style) with perhaps a strip across the middle (running horizontally, left to right) to prevent the long sides of the grill frame from bowing inward when the grill cloth is stretched tight across it. If not, it wouldn't be too difficult to put a set together by anyone desiring them, from strips of MDF.
I'll try and answer the above 2 together and address  a bit of what you said  before question 1. These are not going to be hand cut on a table saw. They are going to be CNC routerd so alterations  require changes to the program (or adding optional  operations) requiring additional programming hence the desire to keep things simple but extremely accuate. Making the shorter brace to facilitate an inset  grill is not a big deal but that would in turn leave a bit  ( an inch) of the  horizontal dado(s) exposed. What  could probably be done is to  cut out a 1" notch from the outer edge of the braces leaving a "filler" on either edge for the dado making room  for the inset grill frame. Doing this wouild not be perfect...  the  inside  would not have a perfect 90, it would have a  samll radius  correspondig to the  radius of the cutting bit.  The end  user could easily chisel this out   without much trouble if he wanted a perfect 90 there.  Having an optional brace like this wouild not be too much trouble. 
I'm a bit hesitant to start trying to ship grill frames, pretty fragile

4- Will you be offering a simple MDF box for the Rythmik plate amp?

Thought of this a while back but then it kind of got forgotten..  I'll find out about this.

Whether the answer to these questions is yes or no, the H-frame is very welcomed. Thanks for offering them!---Eric.
[/quote]

No worries, hoping to do an initial run of a couple pairs of duals and a pair of triples fairly soon....  of course we are right in the middle of the  "silly season"  so things like this tend not to be the priority

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2015, 12:16 am »
The "silly season" you got that right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to pricing and figuring out how I'm going to meet you on this side of the boarder for lunch :D

I need a dual or triple for my house now that I took my Super V's away to next door. I'm sure a lot of people are really happy you are taking the reins on this one. We need someone making these for the people that can't do it and the people that don't have time to do it.

Thanks Jay!

Greg

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2015, 01:05 am »
The "silly season" you got that right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to pricing and figuring out how I'm going to meet you on this side of the boarder for lunch :D

I need a dual or triple for my house now that I took my Super V's away to next door. I'm sure a lot of people are really happy you are taking the reins on this one. We need someone making these for the people that can't do it and the people that don't have time to do it.

Thanks Jay!

Greg

Hey Greg , been meaning to shoot you a message and say hi, just been  busy.
I'm sure we can figure something out  to get you a pack  ,  Don (my patner in this ) , makes a fair numberof trips down to WA and other  nearby states.  There is always Vancouver too,  it's about 4 hrs for us to  get there, about 2 from your area.   
It'll work out when you're ready

If you have the space, go with the triples
Will chat soon

jay

bdp24

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:16 am »
Yup, no issue with that. I've actually made the base and top  panel interchangeable to simply
I'll try and answer the above 2 together and address  a bit of what you said  before question 1. These are not going to be hand cut on a table saw. They are going to be CNC routerd so alterations  require changes to the program (or adding optional  operations) requiring additional programming hence the desire to keep things simple but extremely accuate. Making the shorter brace to facilitate an inset  grill is not a big deal but that would in turn leave a bit  ( an inch) of the  horizontal dado(s) exposed. What  could probably be done is to  cut out a 1" notch from the outer edge of the braces leaving a "filler" on either edge for the dado making room  for the inset grill frame. Doing this wouild not be perfect...  the  inside  would not have a perfect 90, it would have a  samll radius  correspondig to the  radius of the cutting bit.  The end  user could easily chisel this out   without much trouble if he wanted a perfect 90 there.  Having an optional brace like this wouild not be too much trouble. 
I'm a bit hesitant to start trying to ship grill frames, pretty fragile

Thought of this a while back but then it kind of got forgotten..  I'll find out about this.

No worries, hoping to do an initial run of a couple pairs of duals and a pair of triples fairly soon....  of course we are right in the middle of the  "silly season"  so things like this tend not to be the priority

jay

Jay, your response thankfully made me realize: With a grill frame fully inset into the H-frame, the entire length of the front edge of the two sides of the H-frame will then be visible, including the ends of the dado appearing at those front edges. I failed to realize and envision that. Duh! Yes, making the brace shallower will allow a grill frame to be inset, but that exposed dado would look like Hell! I guess the dado could be cut to end just shy of the front edge of the side, but cutting the dado thusly on a CNC machine may be cost prohibitive. Whatta ya think? Alternatively, I suppose a piece of MDF could be glued into the end of the dado to conceal it, but that would require then applying putty to conceal the resulting seam, leaving possible the seam becoming visible over time. Drat! Or, the top and bottom panels could be made to overhang the side panels by an inch, with the grill frame being inset behind the front edge of the top and bottom panels, but covering the front edges of the two side panels. I'll have to think about this!

Your decision to not make and ship grill frames in completely understandable---made of MDF, they are certainly easily broken into pieces. Luckily, they would be fairly easily made by anyone wanting them.

Yeah, after the New Year will be the time to start making and selling the H-frames. No hurry!

Thanks again---Eric.

bdp24

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:23 am »
Hey Greg , been meaning to shoot you a message and say hi, just been  busy.
I'm sure we can figure something out  to get you a pack  ,  Don (my patner in this ) , makes a fair numberof trips down to WA and other  nearby states.  There is always Vancouver too,  it's about 4 hrs for us to  get there, about 2 from your area.   
It'll work out when you're ready

If you have the space, go with the triples
Will chat soon

jay

This is great news for me too. I'm moving to Vancouver Washington around the end of December or early January, so may be able to avoid needing you to ship me a pair, which won't be cheap. Talk to you later Jay---Eric.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:36 am »
This is great news for me too. I'm moving to Vancouver Washington around the end of December or early January, so may be able to avoid needing you to ship me a pair, which won't be cheap. Talk to you later Jay---Eric.

We'll work something out Eric :beer:
Talk soon

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm »
See post  #1 for pricing

jay
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2018, 06:37 pm by Captainhemo »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2016, 02:24 pm »
Jay,
Are you going to offer flat pack cases for the servo amps? 

The HX300 for the 8" servos and the A370PEQ for the 12" servos are different size faceplates, so that is an issue.

I know I need a pair of each type for the subs here.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2016, 04:43 pm »
Jay,
Are you going to offer flat pack cases for the servo amps? 

The HX300 for the 8" servos and the A370PEQ for the 12" servos are different size faceplates, so that is an issue.

I know I need a pair of each type for the subs here.

Rich,  hate to admit it but  that is something  I've overlooked  :oops:
When I did mine,  I just made an open box (5" tall) which the amp  drps into and becomes the  top plate. I left the  bottom side open for ventalation.
We could probably  do up a simple 4 sided box  with biscuits in the corners to include with the kits
I can look into this a bit and se if i can  get somethig  going.

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2016, 05:35 pm »
Jay,
The ideas sound interesting.  I posted a picture of the old amp cabinet for the A370 that I have.  The one for the HX300 is the simple box you mentioned.  More ventilation is good. 

Looking forward to what you come up with.

fliv

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2016, 06:37 pm »
Jay,

I'm in for a pair of the doubles. I really like the look of the overhang on the top and bottom.
The amp boxes will also be a plus!!!!!

fliv

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2016, 07:40 pm »
Jay,

I'm in for a pair of the doubles. I really like the look of the overhang on the top and bottom.
The amp boxes will also be a plus!!!!!

fliv

Got it
Another  good thing about the overhanging  tops is you don't have to  deal with a seam in your prep :)
That's the first  3 pairs spoken for ... hopig they are going o be cut  this afternoon or  tomorrow

Shoot me a PM when yo uhave , I'll have a couple other ?'s for you

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2016, 08:06 pm »
Another option we are working on for  these  packs is the flush mount grills (thanks Eric)

These would be .5" .75" grill frames with a cross brace  in the cneter that alignes with the center brace of the cabinet.
You could either use a small piece of velcro in each corner or a N52 magnet.

Probably looking at a $50/pr (#980 for all 4 sides) upgrade to do this ( a bit of time and material)

jay
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2016, 03:29 am by Captainhemo »

bdp24

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2016, 10:26 pm »
Another option we are working on for  these  packs is the flush mount grills (thanks Eric)

These would be .5" grill frames with a cross brace  in the cneter that alignes with the center brace of the cabinet.
You could either use a small piece of velcro in each corner or a N52 magnet.

Probably looking at a $50 upgrade to do this ( a bit of time and material)

jay

Awesome! Exactly what I was thinking of Jay.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm »
What about a single OB sub frame?  I already have duals but have considered adding another pair to the mix.  Plus they would be easier to deal with than the triple frames.

jseipp

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2016, 12:19 am »
The grill implementation looks really good!