ICEBlock relaunched with Dodd Audio Tube Buffer

shep

Re: ICEBlock relaunched with Dodd Audio Tube Buffer
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2010, 10:50 am »
I have had various Tripath-based amps (from Michel Mardis) and presently use an Ice amp so I have been following all this with great interest. But I have to say I have reservations about how you are going about this. It appears you are trying to do too many things at once and are in danger of getting a bit lost. Why not just concentrate on getting the Virtue line established and on the market; get a good reputation, a solid market base? I wonder if you are not shooting yourself in the foot adding the Ice amps to the mix. Unless you have committed yourself to this approach, would it not be better to take a step back? It's going to be very hard to acheive the same level as has already been acheived by Bel Canto and Wyred, whereas the Tripath technology can be explored further and costs less to acheive comparable sound excellence. It's no reflexion on Gary Dodd's work, which is known to be excellent, but I do think you're introducing too many variables. There are simpler approaches. As for the upside down cup, I'm pretty sure that's for resonance control, although it could also mean 'I give up"!

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2010, 05:46 pm »
That was a stand-in for a 3rd transformer cover they didn't have at the time.  I was thinking that a new transformer cover - something chromed and wave-shaped behind all of the tubes... would be cool and would amplify/focus light from the tubes.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm »
Hey Shep,
You make good points and in truth, the decision to do an ICEPower amp was made 3 years ago when I had no focus and was struggling with the Virtue ONE.  By partnering with Gary to make the ICE amp exceptional, we avoided a distracting and potentially fruitless development effort. There's no doubt that we could not have done a better job than Gary!  In truth, I have not yet found a higher-value way to deliver watts than ICE (with the integrated PSU) and I'm fairly comfortable that no matter what we do with Tripath moving forward, there will remain a high-power tube/ice amp in the portfolio for our customers who need big iron.  Based on Gary's contribution, this product will become a signature and core product.
Seth

shep

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:12 pm »
Fair enough. You are after all the chief bottle washer! As an aside, I was sorry to hear that M. left. He is very talented and introduced me both to Tripath and Ice.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:19 pm »
Me too!  Michael's a great guy with a great ear, lots of Tripath and ICE experience, and an easy-going attitude.  Most important, he knew how to take care of customers.  Our differences netted out to personal style and timing.  I'd rather leave it at that.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:44 pm »
  The best of luck with your new idea. On paper it looks great. Has my interest and I'm a SET man. Would love to demo one at our club meeting.

charles