H! I'm new here. Looking for info and advice in choosing my next speakers.

red4765

Hi just call me Red. I have been reading posts on AudioCircle for few months now, but on Audiogon and Whatsbest may be 6-18 months. I'm 50 yrs old, and I have been playing around hifi on and off since I was 16. Usually it was 2-3 years of buying and listening then off for 5-6 years and back again. Everytime coming back to this hobby, I spent more and more lol.
Started off my hifi journey in the 80s when I went to a boarding school in England.
England 1980s : NAD, Rega, B&W, Mission, Audiolab, Celestion, Tannoy, Kef, A&R, Dual, Thorens, Ortofon, Shure.
Late 80s : Micro Seiki, Krell, Gale, Nakamichi, McIntosh, Bose, JBL.
US College - Grad school in Asia early 90s : Denon, Sony, Adcom, Dahlquist, ADS, Polk, Audio Research, Mirage, Infinity etc.
In my teens, I got involved with a club and had some experience with PA system, Soundcraft, JBL, Crown, Marshall, Senheiser, Shure, Pearl, Korg, Roland, Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha etc.
I early retired in my 40s and played around with Sonus Faber, Focal, Audio Research, McIntosh, Chord, Tannoy.
Then I fullfilled my childhood interest in DJing by paying for private tutor, and got fun with EDM and throwing private parties with friends. I had my own PA system in house for a while with stuffs from, Pioneer, Turbosound, QSC.
Now I have a family, and back to listening to Jazz, Classical, Pop etc.
Just back to high end audio again last 2-3 years, but more into playing files from computer audio and streaming rather than cds or vinyls. Been using and playing around with Auralic, Aurrender, SoTM, Mutec, Grimms, Weiss, Sugden, Alluxity, Vitus, Audionet, Melco, Brinkmann, Cary, Magico, YG, Ayon, Focal, JBL Synthesis, Siltech, Synergistic Research, MIT, Tellurium Q, JCat etc.
Anyways, I hope to get some more info and feedbacks to help me decide on what to buy next on this forum.
Looking forward to getting to know some of you here and share experience.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Welcome Red :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hi, Red. Welcome to AC.

Questions for you:

What's your budget for new/used speakers?
What gear do you have to power them?
What are your listening room dimensions?
Do you have a preference for high sensitivity, low sensitivity, open baffle, floor standing, stand-mounted, small monitors paired to subs, etc.?
How loud you you typically listen?

That's probably a decent start.

Michael

Phil A

Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Greetings & Welcome to AC Red   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Welcome!

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, it's the consummate audiophile primer to explain how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room and points out that all residentially sized rooms have huge bass peaks/dips.  His advice is the use of multiple well placed subwoofers. 

Along those lines recommend looking into Duke LeJeune's Audio Kinesis offerings (AudioKinesis.com or jamesromeyn.com).  Duke is knowledgable, a student of Toole, Geddes, and other acousticians.  His speakers are capable of high power with low thermal compression and uses controlled directivity design.  He sells an award winning "swarm" of 4 subwoofers.  Not cheap, but very high performing, based on the latest thinking. 

toocool4

Welcome to AudioCircle red4765.

With regards to getting new speakers, you have gone through a lot of gear and therefore i am sure you already know the answer into looking for new speakers? My advice is go and listen preferably at home with the rest of your system in your room, only you know what you like.

Happy hunting

red4765

Wow, thank you to all for the warm welcome.
I am here particularly to get more info on the GR Reseach kits.
They just sound like real gems for the price.
It is good to know you all   :)

red4765

Hi, Red. Welcome to AC.

Questions for you:

What's your budget for new/used speakers?
What gear do you have to power them?
What are your listening room dimensions?
Do you have a preference for high sensitivity, low sensitivity, open baffle, floor standing, stand-mounted, small monitors paired to subs, etc.?
How loud you you typically listen?

That's probably a decent start.

Michael

Hi Michael,

My budget is from $3-20k. But I really want to find high value, great performance/price speakers this time.
I have a Vitus integrated amplifier, but looking for a good Tube amplifier as well, so I can have 2 type of sounds.
My room is quite large since it is my living room, but I only use part of it as listening area (21x30x9).
I think I want to try high sensitive, full range ob design, with large scale, good top to bottom output.
I listen to many genre of music, and yes sometimes I turn it on over 100db lol, but not often. Usually just 70-80db.
Any suggestions is very much welcome Michael.

Red

red4765

Welcome!

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, it's the consummate audiophile primer to explain how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room and points out that all residentially sized rooms have huge bass peaks/dips.  His advice is the use of multiple well placed subwoofers. 

Along those lines recommend looking into Duke LeJeune's Audio Kinesis offerings (AudioKinesis.com or jamesromeyn.com).  Duke is knowledgable, a student of Toole, Geddes, and other acousticians.  His speakers are capable of high power with low thermal compression and uses controlled directivity design.  He sells an award winning "swarm" of 4 subwoofers.  Not cheap, but very high performing, based on the latest thinking.

Many thanks JLM. I sure will take a lok at Audio Kinesis.
You are right about how room acoustic impact sound quality of a system or speakers.
I just had a professinal sound engineer measured my room.
The reflection is a tad over optimum level but should be ok.
I got a small peak at 80Hz, and a few db drop at 58db.
The engineer told be to get a few subs and some acoustic treatment for this.
 :D

Doublej

For your computer setup, high value, great performance might be JBL L705P or JBL 305P MkII.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
For your computer setup, high value, great performance might be JBL L705P or JBL 305P MkII.

+1

Have heard original 305, 305 Mk2, and owned 708P.  The 305 did nothing wrong - I liked them a lot especially for the price, but the Mk2 was much better - way more musical.  The 708P was a sizable step up and should be for the huge price jump.  They all exhibit the same house sound. 

A reportedly better option would be the Kali LP-6 ($298/pair), LP-8 ($498/pair), or IN-8 ($798/pair).  Kali is made up of former JBL engineers who left when Samsung bought Harmon International (who owned JBL, Revel, etc.).  These active monitors accept RCA (single ended) as well as TRS and XLR (balanced inputs).  They boast low distortion woofers, controlled directivity design, and in the case of the IN-8 a coincidental midrange/tweeter.

mikeeastman

For the requirements you stated and price range the GR Research Super 7s will diffidently meet your needs. I have a pair and they let every change you make in your system come though, good or bad. With the right gear they have it all in my opinion. Check and see if anyone in your area has a pair to audition, even some of his other models with the same drives with some servo subs will give you a good idea how they will sound.

spains69

hello
theres always the tried and proven Klipsch LaScalas,
they can definately jam.
Another hi value suggestion is Tekton Pendragon