Something that I did this weekend that wasn't audio related

Danny Richie

Well, it was a busy weekend for me that started out with a soccer tournament on Saturday and a first game that was played short handing by two players (not exactly ideal for an indoor game). At least we won that opening indoor game, but man after two indoor games was I bet. So is was not exactly an ideal way to prepare for a state level track meet the next day.

This was my first time to compete in one of these track meets. The Senior Games is where the the best athletes from each state compete, and in even numbered years they compete for a chance to go to nations. And some of the greatest sprinters in the world show up for some of these as part of their training. Many of them compete world wide in the Masters Track and Field events. Two of them showed up for this event, and I got to run with both of them. Both of these guys were one age group ahead of me. I'll be in their age group in year and three months. The first was Francois Boda. He is a two-time world champion and a two-time world record holder. He is the current 50 meter record holder in my age group for the Senior games. He has the 1st and 4th fastest times recorded in the 50 meter. He is also a member of the USA national team that competes world wide.

https://www.okl.coop/sections/oklahoma-stories/made-to-move/

The second was Don McGee. Don is the current world champion and national champion and has wins in multiple events all over the world.

https://masterstrack.blog/…/gofundme-raising-tens-of-thous…/

My age group was combined with theirs for the 100 meter race. It was my first. I didn't feel great about it. I really don't have any good technic coming out of the blocks and have not practiced coming out of them since I bought a set back in February. Those world champions fly off the line. So I was behind them immediately. And about half way out I was trying too hard and got out of form and just hit a wall. So I didn't really feel good about the run. They won, 1 and 2, and I was 3 tenths behind them in third. I did easily take 1st in my age group though. So I won the event for the 50 to 54 year age group.

Afterward Don McGee encouraged me and gave me tips to help me. And he said I did great for my first time out.

Francios Boda then ran the 200 meter and won easily. Don held back on the 200 and opted to just run the 50. I was in the 50 next as well. And Don give me some more tips and was happy to let me line up next him. Again he crushed me off the line, but mid way out I started to reel him in a little. He was not 100% (and told me so earlier) and as the end of the race approached he eased back just a little and I almost passed him at the finish. It was a photo finish. He ran a 6.69 to my 6.70. Man if I can just learn to come out of the blocks like him... But I did easily win my age group and took home two 1st place medals.

My 6.70 tied me with Rohan Stuart for the sixth fastest Senior games times in the 50 meter for my age group.

RANK NAME STATE TIME YEAR RECORD
Men 50 - 54 50 meter dash
1 Francois Boda OK 6.49 2015
2 Manny Garcia NH 6.58 2017
3 Ken Thomas OH 6.63 2015
4 Francois Boda OK 6.67 2015
5 James Brague PA 6.69 2017
6 Rohan Stuart GA 6.70 2015
7 James Brague PA 6.71 2015
7 William Kinahan CT 6.71 2017
9 William Kinahan CT 6.751 2017
10 Manny Garcia NH 6.754 2017

Don McGee really encouraged me to stick with this. Maybe I will.

And here is the 100 meter. My first ever event race. And I wasn't too pleased with it. I knew I could do better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As05bAYItuI&feature=youtu.be

My 50 meter race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1mYO1xIwc

I didn't do to badly in that one.

Here is a finish line shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM8sFPbrImI&feature=youtu.be

I'll take me and the world champion in a photo finish.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Something that I did this weekend that wasn't audio related
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2019, 11:07 pm »
Wow. IMPRESSIVE !!!  :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2019, 11:31 pm »
Well done Danny!

:banana piano: :dance:

mkane

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2019, 12:49 am »
excellent

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:42 am »
I've got to say, that's really impressive.  Are you training? Maxing your diet?  I bet you can squeeze a quite a bit more out of those legs. 
Great job.  And yes, you should pursue it since you clearly have natural talent. 

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2019, 07:23 am »
Geeez Danny thats amazing! Ive done some senior level bodybuilding competition and it certainly opened up a much improved level of competition for me. For you as a compete as a novice at state level is totally awesome.   :thumb:

Congrats and keep it up!   :popcorn:

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2019, 07:23 am »
repost (delete)

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2019, 12:02 pm »
Wow!  Awesome Danny.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:17 pm »
I've got to say, that's really impressive.  Are you training? Maxing your diet?  I bet you can squeeze a quite a bit more out of those legs. 
Great job.  And yes, you should pursue it since you clearly have natural talent.

I didn't really train for it at all. I just did what I normally do. I play soccer some with the college kids and hit the gym for a little while in the mornings.

This year I did majorly cut white bread and sweet tea. The sweet tea cut was tough. I love sweet tea. And that did trim me back a little.

And Don McGee said I could easily knock off a lot of time by learning proper technic and form. If so then I should be able to compete with the top sprinters.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:26 pm »
Heh, the only thing faster than Danny Richie is his open baffle subs!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:33 pm »
Well, that's kinda--- stunning.   Rene'e and have been lifting with a trainer for the past couple of years, starting with getting ready to go up Kilimanjaro.  It's made a huge difference in our strength and stamina.  If you wanted to put three hours a week ( or more) into weight training, there's no telling what you could do. 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2019, 04:01 pm »
Danny, are you saying you don't live and breathe audio 24-7?

Seriously, that's way cool. I wish I were so geared, I have an older sister who does triathlons...she loves it. Me, not so much...

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2019, 04:03 pm »
Nicely done there chief   :thumb: :thumb:
Not to mention the lack of starting block experience, I   highly doubt  any of your  competitors played a couple indoor soccor games  the previous day !!!

Keep going at it  man

jay

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2019, 06:32 pm »
WOW! As a former college track and cross-country guy (who can't run anymore at age 73 because of too many miles on my knees) I am impressed, to say the least.

Congrats on staying active and having fun!

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2019, 08:12 pm »
Well, that's kinda--- stunning.   Rene'e and have been lifting with a trainer for the past couple of years, starting with getting ready to go up Kilimanjaro.  It's made a huge difference in our strength and stamina.  If you wanted to put three hours a week ( or more) into weight training, there's no telling what you could do.

Oh, I spend three or four hours a week in the gym every week easy. And all of the soccer really keeps me young and in shape. I just shouldn't play all of that soccer the day before.

Last year at the MSU soccer fields some foot racing went down. I put it on them pretty good. And a month ago one of the black kids from Nigeria called me out for a rematch. He was pretty vocal about it and did so in front of everyone. I asked him if he was sure he wanted some more of me, and told him I was in better shape now than when I embarrassed him last year. But he wanted some more. I also just happened to have my track shoes in my bag. I pulled them out and sat them on the ground in front of me and said, are you sure? And all the other kids o'ed and ah'ed and said, man, he's got track shoes.  :lol:

Then a couple more of them said they wanted in. One was a young 6'1" black kid (I am not sure what country he was from), and an 18 year old black kid from Keller that ran a 4.65 forty yard dash in high school. And he was only 18. But he thought he would run faster if he kicked off the heavy clits and ran in his socks (big mistake).

With track shoes on and coming out of a three point stance I killed those kids off the line about like those world class sprinters killed me.  They left from a standing start. I left them hard at the start and it was all over.

And they always have their cameras out filming everything. So I got a copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLxzIKErbAk

And the finish in slow motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbv5mPQdJY

The one with the mouth (Price) came in last.  :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2019, 08:34 pm »
Cool Danny. Sports keep the body and MIND strong. Never ever stop. When you get to be 68 like me God willing you can still kick some butt like I do on the Paddle Ball courts.
No Nerdy Audiophiles apply.  :roll: :thumb:

charles

Plund

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2019, 12:23 pm »
Running a 6.7 second, 50 meter time...very impressive!  I think what I love about track is how the numbers speak for themselves.   It doesn't really matter if it's in Texas or Tasmania... this year or 50 years ago...  a time, or a distance or height speaks for itself.  In the attached video, I am only wondering if you photo-shopped your image onto Usain Bolt's body!  Deep-fake?  LOL.

Skiman

« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2019, 08:01 pm »
You should have made them put some money down. Remember Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump? :lol:

I set my high school record in the shuttle, which is running back and forth across the width of the basketball court without a backstop, picking up a shoe twice. Unfortunately, it didn't translate to track.

Very impressive!!

orientalexpress

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2019, 08:18 pm »
Wow ,Running a 6.7 second, 50 meter time,i be lucky finish under 10 second.That impressive time for any age.

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2019, 09:07 pm »
You should have made them put some money down. Remember Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump? :lol:

The college kids have no money. I have to make them run for "you Daddy's".