My recent audio experience with a Direct Heated Triode DAC

Rx8man

Re: My recent audio experience with a Direct Heated Triode DAC
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2015, 08:34 pm »
Sfox, from the designers: "Usually people use 6080 tube for regulator, but we decided to make it special and wanted to hear how a DHT would sound and it turned out better sounding than we thought in our design"

"The 101D, 6C45PI and OA2 also met our design criteria. Tube regulation combined with choke filtering made the noise level nearly non-existent, quieter than a transistor design"

Rajacat, from the designers: "IMHO, tubes always sound more musical, with added dimension and even more dynamic if applied in a good design with careful tube selection"

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2015, 11:25 pm by Rx8man »

jbtrio

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2015, 10:45 pm »
Pete & Karl came over my home yesterday with their DHT DAC. We first played vinyl just to get a feel for the system.

Then we played their DHT DAC immediately I was impressed with the sound. It sounded very natural with beautiful tone and timbre. It had that analog flow and was very open. It had very good extension, dynamics, very quiet with a wide and deep soundstage.

I have a Marantz sa-7s1 with RAM mods, which have Audio Consult silver output trannies and an ultra clock with power supply and other goodies. I really enjoyed the sound all these years but, the DHT DAC plays at a higher level it is immensely musical  and natural. It just has an ease that makes you want to hear more music.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement! Great job, Guys!

Joe

joeling39

« Reply #22 on: 23 Nov 2015, 01:08 am »
Hi,

I am a little intrigued. A couple of questions :

1) Besides 16/44, what other schemes can it do ?

2) Does it come in 230V configuration ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling

sfox7076

« Reply #23 on: 23 Nov 2015, 04:32 am »
I do like tube rectification and regulation. A 101D as a regulator is pretty big overkill.  Regardless, I think I have 10-12 ST shaped 101Ds that collect dust. I use the 6c45 in my phono stage.  So I have almost all the tubes they used.  But unlikely to leave the Lampi.

230v shouldn't be hard to implement with these tubes.

joeling39

« Reply #24 on: 23 Nov 2015, 02:23 pm »
Sorry I meant configured for countries with 230V mains

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 23 Nov 2015, 03:10 pm »
Pete & Karl came over my home yesterday with their DHT DAC. We first played vinyl just to get a feel for the system.

Then we played their DHT DAC immediately I was impressed with the sound. It sounded very natural with beautiful tone and timbre. It had that analog flow and was very open. It had very good extension, dynamics, very quiet with a wide and deep soundstage.

I have a Marantz sa-7s1 with RAM mods, which have Audio Consult silver output trannies and an ultra clock with power supply and other goodies. I really enjoyed the sound all these years but, the DHT DAC plays at a higher level it is immensely musical  and natural. It just has an ease that makes you want to hear more music.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement! Great job, Guys!

Joe

If Joe was impressed I want to hear it.  Joe really has a great ear.  A vinyl guy at heart as well as Joe makes me very interested.

charles

Rx8man

« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:53 pm »
Joeling, Dac can do 24/192 and 115 or 230 V or dual voltage.

sfox7076

« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:10 pm »
I would want a DSD engine to consider this DAC.  DSD is less used, but it is my preferred output choice.

Bugle Boy

« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:02 am »
I listened to the DHT DAC last week and I was very impressed. All I kept thinking is how much it sounded like vinyl, only better without the ticks or pops! It produced a large full wide and deep soundstage, very smooth and natural sounding. Not a hint of solid state harshness anywhere. I want one! :thumb:http:

//www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/smiley_thumb.gif

ACHiPo

« Reply #29 on: 25 Nov 2015, 06:56 am »
I would want a DSD engine to consider this DAC.  DSD is less used, but it is my preferred output choice.
Agreed.  Without DSD it's a non-starter for me.

Rx8man

« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2015, 01:59 pm »
I wouldn't let this DSD thing be a deal breaker, because it won't matter much when you hear how it really sounds.

sfox7076

« Reply #31 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:08 pm »
That is where we disagree.  I have a DHT Dac now.  It sounds awesome.  Non-Dsd means it is missing a feature that I have and would desire in anything else I bought.  A switch and circuit mods with something like this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/280763-direct-drive-dsd.html would get it done.  But, well, that is for the maker, not the consumer.  Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of DHT DACs, but at $5k or $8k, it needs to do all I want it to.

Rx8man

« Reply #32 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:15 pm »
I'll see what Pete and Karl can come up with, maybe they can implement it for certain requirements, thanks for link.

sfox7076

« Reply #33 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:30 pm »
And don't get me wrong.  I am all for competition.  That's what makes this hobby awesome and infuriating all in one.  Always being left wanting more... 

Rx8man

« Reply #34 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:47 pm »
I absolutely agree, plus it's easy to get use to your best sound, then wonder if there might be another better around the corner.

BTW: I received an email from Pete saying they can install DSD in Post Production Models.

« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2015, 02:30 am by Rx8man »

Geardaddy

« Reply #35 on: 4 Dec 2015, 07:59 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2015, 11:51 am by Geardaddy »

Rx8man

« Reply #36 on: 4 Dec 2015, 11:25 pm »
DHT Dac Under Dude Preamp

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2015, 05:59 pm by Rx8man »

Geardaddy

« Reply #37 on: 13 Dec 2015, 02:31 am »
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2015, 06:55 am by Geardaddy »

sfox7076

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jan 2016, 10:04 pm »
Update?

Rx8man

« Reply #39 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:59 am »
Pete called to inform me that he and Karl have been extremely busy with their regular jobs and family matters.

They are working feverishly to try and finish cosmetic touches and parts ordering for individual customer needs/requirements.

He reassured me they will finish the website with nice photo uploads and descriptions, so please hang in there a while longer, it will be worth the wait. :D