Help finding a used 3 ch amp in short time?

jriggy

Help finding a used 3 ch amp in short time?
« on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:07 pm »
I was hopping someone more knolegable than myself can help me land a good deal on a cheap 3 channel amp for my small HT set up... My big old Citation took a crap and I need movies for the holidays...

I do not want to spend alot. $400 at the very most. Would love even lower, as I am getting ready for a new pre in the 2ch set up.

My system is:
Stock Oppo BDP 83SE,
Cary Cinema 11 pre,
*amp*,
Mirage OM6 for mains,
Mirage OM-C2 center ch.

Yes, this is just a 3 ch system put together with old gear I have been saving just for this lil TV room, and of course, the amp goes out 3 months into setting the room up.

Any sugestions from the few 3 ch amps up on Audiogon that go with my Mirage OM speakers???

Please help!!!
 A good recomendation on something used will make my holiday time off, that is comming quickly, mor enjoyable!  :D

Thanks so much

srb

Re: Help finding a used 3 ch amp in short time?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:24 pm »
For $400 max, right now, I would be looking at this Audiogon amp:

B&K ST-1430 3-channel - $295 + shipping

Steve

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:43 pm »
A little over but it is brand new http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

Used market is good for them too...

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY

srb

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2010, 03:54 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-AMPLIFIER-1504-4-channel-/260703999708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb32b56dc

With a $200 starting bid, $100 shipping and 5-1/2 days left, I would probably pass that one up, but you could monitor the auction's progress.

Steve

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:10 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies so far!

I am interested in that B&K. There is a Series 2 of the same amp forsale there as well... I assume this one would be a good match for a 6ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum load?

The Emotiva is probably a great amp for this application as well but it is a little big. It would fit the space, but at this point, I would like to shrink the size a touch for usability in my space.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:17 pm »
I am interested in that B&K. There is a Series 2 of the same amp for sale there as well... I assume this one would be a good match for a 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum load?

Yes, the B&K can drive 4 ohm loads with no problem and the power rating is just fine for your 91dB speakers.  I would have some reservation using most amplifiers in a bridged configuration with your speakers.

Steve

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
Thanks so much Steve.

The seller for this amp has a couple recent negatives and neutrals... I think I may go for the Series 2 by another seller... Maybe... If there are  not any other suggestions....

bummrush

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:28 pm »
Look at the Atoll 3ch on Agon.  Good amp. Good price

srb

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2010, 04:36 pm »
Look at the Atoll 3ch on Agon.  Good amp. Good price

I'm sure the Atoll is a nice amplifier.  But if jriggy wants to more than double his budget from <$400 to $900, we can come up with a big list of candidates.

Steve

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2010, 09:17 pm »
I might be interested in spending more...
 I just don't know if I have to for this system. Its only a 11 or 12 x 13 room with the system on the long wall.  Cozy lil set up for TV, movies and every once in a while, music.
The Mirage are warm and mellow sounding but still with good detail. great for this smaller environment. Im just thinking they really do not need anything to special to sound that much better.
The Oppo SE's chip and the Cary's Analog pass-through do a pretty good job for what I am doing here...
I would consider other candidates at a larger price point if you guys really though so but would Much rather continue the funds going to the big 2 ch system right around the corner in the other room  :thumb:

Hmmmm....

J Payton

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2010, 12:48 am »
I have a Acurus 5 x 125 amp (same company that made Aragon) that I bought as a demo that I used for about a year then started the upgrade thing. It has been in storage for the last 4 years. I'd let it go $375 plus shipping.

You could bi-amp you mains and use the 5th channel for your center.

I'm traveling but if there is any interest I could send some pictures when I get back home tomorrow.

Joel

jriggy

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2010, 01:10 am »
Sure. PM me some pics if you get the chance.

J Payton

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2010, 02:09 am »
I'll send you some pictures tomorrow.

Send me your e-mail address in a personal message and I'll send the pics there and not tie up this thread anymore.

Joel

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:12 am »
The 5 Channel Emotiva is $429 with free shipping.  That would get you by fine if 125 watts will do it.

srb

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:46 am »
The Emotiva is probably a great amp for this application as well but it is a little big. It would fit the space, but at this point, I would like to shrink the size a touch for usability in my space.

Yep, the Emotiva UPA-5 and UPA-7 share the same 7.75" chassis height of the XPA 1, 2, 3 and 5 channel series.  Good values for new amplifiers, though.

Steve

J Payton

« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2010, 05:52 pm »
Jriggy you have personal mail

Joel

ChrisM

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:16 pm »
Having just picked up the UPA-5, i can say it's a serious steal, sounds way better then i thought it would. Very happy with this purchase :thumb:

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:35 pm »
Have you considered a used AVR with multi-analog in?

Frees up your Cary Cinema for other duties or a sale.

My Oppo BDP-83SE was set up this way.

Performance was excellent.