*** PLOT TWIST*** New TV Recommendations?

Todd Willhoit

*** PLOT TWIST*** New TV Recommendations?
« on: 19 Nov 2016, 05:44 am »
We have a Samsung PN51F8500, the last of the plasmas, that died after less than two years of service.  The power supply failed and new spare parts are not available. 

I've become a fan of Samsung TVs, and am looking for ideas in a similar 50-55" size and feature set.  With Black Friday coming around, I figure the collective wisdom here has an eye on good products at good prices.

Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2016, 11:09 pm by Todd Willhoit »

boe

Re: New TV Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2016, 03:24 pm »
I think for the best motion, bright screen and upscaling I'd go Sony.    For the deepest blacks I'd go LG OLED.    Samsung plasmas were good but I'm less impressed with their current LCDs.   Maybe next year at CES they'll change things.

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2016, 03:38 pm »
I'm a big fan of Toshiba.  On my second one now for five years and it has never failed me. 

http://tvna.compal-toshiba.com/us/en/

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2016, 03:54 pm »
I have a 55" SUHD Samsung in the living room. Once I set it to upscale everything the Directv took on another life. I also bought a Samsung Ultra HD Bluray player to try out and will move that to the basement rec room with the 75" Sony 940D sitting in the garage. I'm making a stand for the gear today. The player and the new Ultra Blurays rival the OLEDs. The movies are still $25 each and limited right now.

Sony's new X series equals OLEDs but they are so new the price is higher for a 65 inch than the 940D at 75, about $1500 more in fact. Totally equal to the OLEDs in depth of color and contrast. I could not justify more dough for smaller screen size so I grabbed the Sony. Best Buy is having some good deals right now.

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2016, 04:10 pm »
We have a Samsung PN51F8500, the last of the plasmas, that died after less than two years of service.  The power supply failed and new spare parts are not available. 

Any chance its still under warranty? If so, Samsung should work with you for a new Samsung

youravhandyman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2016, 06:53 pm »
You said new spare parts were not available?  I did a quick google search and found 5 reputable and about 10 shady sources for the power supply on your PN51F8500.  Sounds more like a repair center that didn't want to bother.  But it also seems you are not alone with this power supply problem.

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2016, 06:56 pm »
Same here also looking. Kinda want 50 inch govr or take. My hitachi died after 10 heavy use years. Its all i can do to not hit crsigs list.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2016, 01:01 am »
I just bought a 65 inch 4K Sony. It was the best looking tv at Best Buy.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2016, 03:46 am »
I am just shy of two years.  The warranty is one year.

The Samsung certified repair center has not been able to source the part.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2016, 03:55 am »
...found 5 reputable ... sources...

Which five would you recommend?

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:18 am »
I just bought a 65 inch 4K Sony. It was the best looking tv at Best Buy.

I'm picking up the XBR-65X tomorrow from BB. According to the Sony rep last week, the price drops another $200 tomorrow. Screamin' deal at $1399 for a good looking 4k.

My 7 year old 65" Samsung plasma is just about shot. We've got the dreaded pick band starting.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2016, 11:42 am »
I am just shy of two years.  The warranty is one year.

The Samsung certified repair center has not been able to source the part.

If you paid by high end credit card such as a Signature Visa card or Platinum Master Card you might have an extra year warranty through the credit card company so you might get a new TV for free!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm »
I'm picking up the XBR-65X tomorrow from BB. According to the Sony rep last week, the price drops another $200 tomorrow. Screamin' deal at $1399 for a good looking 4k.

My 7 year old 65" Samsung plasma is just about shot. We've got the dreaded pick band starting.

Is this the model?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801900.p?skuId=4801900

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:08 pm »
Is this the model?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4801900.p?skuId=4801900

Hey George,

Yep, that's it. I doesn't quite have the picture quality of the XBR65X930D (at $2k) but when you compare them side by side it's pretty darned good. Good enough that once we're got it installed, I won't remember the differences.

gregcss

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2016, 02:23 pm »
I've been eye balling the Vizio P65-c1 (HDR, DV, etc) this year. Have not purchased yet. All models except for 55" use VA panel, the 55" uses IPS. Have a look at the threads on AVS.

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2016, 08:00 pm »
Hey George,

Yep, that's it. I doesn't quite have the picture quality of the XBR65X930D (at $2k) but when you compare them side by side it's pretty darned good. Good enough that once we're got it installed, I won't remember the differences.

Check that....

So, my wife and I met at BB to grab the XR850 and guess what she did? Upgraded us to the 930  :thumb:

....I knew there was a reason I married her some 35 odd years ago  :green:

Burson

• Restricted
  • Burson Audio Staff
    • Official website
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2016, 08:50 pm »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2016, 08:52 pm »
Check that....

So, my wife and I met at BB to grab the XR850 and guess what she did? Upgraded us to the 930  :thumb:

....I knew there was a reason I married her some 35 odd years ago  :green:

Nice!!

George

Don_S

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2016, 09:08 pm »
If you paid by high end credit card such as a Signature Visa card or Platinum Master Card you might have an extra year warranty through the credit card company so you might get a new TV for free!

Doublej,  Those were my immediate thoughts as well.  My Chase Visa cards add an extra year to the manufacturer's warranty with a limit of 3 years total.

I had picked out a Samsung 49" but now have reservations about the company after their phone fires and exploding washers.  I am more wary now that I see they don't have parts for something less than two years old.  They are not taking care of their customers.  I also believe that if they have a known problem part they should extend coverage for that part.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 23 Nov 2016, 02:43 am »
At today's prices & tech I wonder if there are really any truly bad deals on Tvs anymore?  With the exception of maybe bargain basement Chinese brands, they all seem to be pretty darn good. I still favor OLED LGs at the high end, but at the $1-2k popular prices they all seem to be pretty good.

Guess I'll get my videophile card burned......