Different Mfg Signature Sounds

fishboat

Different Mfg Signature Sounds
« on: 4 Nov 2016, 10:01 pm »
I'm continuing my research on a gift home theater sounds system..reference this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146295.0 recent thread.

I'm attempting to visit local stores to hear a number of the sound bars and smaller 5.1 systems. So far it hasn't been easy even coming close to the make/models I'd like to hear. 

In 2 channel (music) audio, different manufactures have different signature sounds. I expect this is true in HT also. Years ago I had a couple different Klipsch models..very nice sound, great for acoustic music, but in the end, I found them fatiguing to listen to longer term. I've had Snell Type A3's and Vandersteens..I like their sound very much.  Thiel has always sounded 'dry' to me.  I know this is all very subjective and everyone hears/likes something different.

I have no experience with Polk, but I did hear a $350 Polk soundbar today..didn't sound bad.  Didn't care for JBL.  Klipsch Ref..? ($700) sounded clean, but probably not for me.

Anyhow..my question..does anyone have a feeling for home theater mfg signature sound?  I'm looking for a Snell/Vandersteen type of presentation.  Who sounds like them? From what I heard briefly today..Polk might be in that category.  Just because a system is loud and boomy, it doesn't make it good. I'd prefer better quality sound over simple loudness.  I sort of like the Sony 780 sound bar due to the inputs..but I'd like to hear one before I buy.  Anyone have an idea how it sounds?  Zvox 670, 770? Other suggestions? (max $500ish, soundbar preferably with separate sub, or Pioneer SP-BS22 L/R/C/sub)   

Phil A

Re: Different Mfg Signature Sounds
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2016, 12:14 am »
I don't have any experience with soundbars but you may want to look at sites like - https://www.cnet.com/topics/speakers/best-speakers/sound-bars/
even if it is just for ideas.

Don't forget stuff you can get at websites like accessories4less.com  - for example - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/htib/home-audio/receivers-amps/packaged-systems/1.html

fishboat

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2016, 01:31 pm »
Thanks Phil..I was aware of the accessories4less site. Some good deals there.  I bought an Onkyo 7.1 system from them 6-8 years ago and it's worked fine for me.

I went out yesterday and listened to whatever systems (sound bars/bases) I could find.  Slim pickens to hear.  It seems like the few stores I could find that carried them are well aware most buy online and therefore don't put much time/effort/inventory into trying to sell them.  I visited two BestBuys..easily half of their units were inoperable.  Mountains of inventory on the floor though. 

I'm a decades long-term, higher end, 2-channel audio guy...my impressions on how these things sound reflect that.  It seems most reviews all say "..so much better than the TV speakers.."..well..nearly anything is better than the TV speakers..the real question is how some bar sounds relative to other soundbars/bases.  There appears to be lots of junk out there.

I listened to bars/bases retailing on the $300-$800 range. I know very little about HT..not one of my "things"..I understand I may be asking too much from this price-point.  I'd like to stay at less than $500.  This will be a Christmas gift for someone that will use it 50-60% blueray-streamed music and the rest for TV.

Yamaha..Polk..JBL..Vizio....they all made sound..but nothing I'd want to spend any time with.  Granted I didn't hear their offerings at all price points..one takes what the stores have available to hear.

Klipsch..better, but still lacking the full, round, clean, relaxed sound I'm looking for.  I owned Klipsch audio speakers for years(decades ago)..though moved on when they started sounding just loud at any volume, low or high.  The soundbar sounded the same.  Everyone hears something different...I may be sensitized to the Klipsch sound..who knows.

LG..better than the first group..but..didn't catch my attention enough to follow up..could have been their setup too..

Wanted to hear Pioneer SB23 and the 22 bookshelf speakers..couldn't find them anywhere...would still like to hear them.

Listened to the Sony 790 and HT-NT5..not bad..could live with them for the right price.  I assume the 780 is voiced the same.

Listened to the ZVOX 570..sounded reasonably-pretty good..though I'd go with the 670 if I went that route.  Couldn't hear one, but the specs suggest it's a healthy step toward the better compared to the 570.   I hate to buy "sound unheard", but may on this one.

Listened to the Sonos Playbar with & without the sub.  I'm impressed..a little pricier than I wanted to go..but I'd enjoy listening to this speaker.   Without the sub..very nice.   Sonos appears to be a good music system that can do HT rather than an HT system that can play music.  Their wireless capabilities seem well thought out.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2016, 01:55 pm »
That's a problem with many stores.  There aren't as many stores as there used to be and sometimes it is hard to make a decision.  I've bought three receivers (for various systems) over the last half dozen years from accessories4less.  I recently returned a Marantz 6011 I got from them as it generated too much hum (vs. my old Onkyo 1008 I got from them years back) in my main system where I am going to do 11.1 (and assigning amps).  Since it is the main system, I may spend more this time around (waiting for a couple of new models to hit the shelves) as I don't anticipate upgrading that system in the near term.  Stores I've been in also generally don't set up sound bars for comparison as there is not as much profit in them vs. full systems.

fishboat

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2016, 01:04 pm »
Well..another listening session at Best Buy.  I found a larger store that had a few setups I hadn't heard and I re-listened to the ones I had heard before.

The short version..listening to music rather than just a movie soundtrack..the sound bars I listened to..up to $800 (Sony HTNT5, Sony 790, Klipsch..something for 6-700$, JBL, Polk, Yamaha, ZVOX sb500..and the one I was really starting to focus on..ZVOX 670)..listening to music..in the setting I heard them in..they all sound..poor.  Granted, the setting can have a huge impact on what the units sound like..but I'm not going to spend 5-700$ hoping it sounds ok in a home.  A number of these might do quite well for HT..but for music..meh..at best.

I've pretty much decided I'm expecting to much from this segment(sound bars, sound bases) of the HT market.

So..now I look at the Energy 5.1 system, Pioneer BS22, or the Elac B5 LR bookshelf/center/sub setups and a AVR of some sort.  I haven't found anywhere to listen to these options, but the reviews are glowing, as they were with the many sound bars..what to do...?  At least there seems to be some forum-based discussions of these systems..better than professional reviews.

If anyone has some thoughts..love to hear them..thx..

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2016, 02:21 pm »
There are mail order places that may have a return policy if you audition and don't like - e.g. - http://www.crutchfield.com/g_37900/Bookshelf-Speakers.html?tp=186#&nvpair=FFBrand|ELAC

http://www.crutchfield.com/support/returns.aspx

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2016, 04:38 am »
Seems  most sound bars made by speaker manufacturers mimic the speakers for the most part.

Atlantic Technology makes a great sound bar, with no sub.  You might also check out Golden Ear, I'm not sure the price on the GE but AT is around $600.00 last I saw.

In a speaker package the Elac are very good.