Cornet 2 update

cyto

Cornet 2 update
« on: 5 Feb 2014, 01:38 am »
Well it has been over 6 months since finishing my Cornet 2 so I though I would share a few observations and changes.

After trying Sovtek 12AX7LPS and Tungsol 12AX7 I keep going back to 6n2P-EV for both V200 and V201, I have the screen grounded on V200 but not V201, using adapters. They sound better to me and are quieter than the other tubes.

I always modded my phono stages with adjustable input impedance so I ended up doing that with my Cornet 2. A small piece of perf board, dip switch and a few resistors did the trick. I glued the chart to the inside of the bottom cover for easy reference. It works beautifully and sounds awesome. My only regret is not building this a long time ago.

mucool

Re: Cornet 2 update
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2014, 03:27 pm »
Hey Cyto,
Great job at those upgrades! Looks very neat :)
I just built a Cornet2 as well and I am having trouble removing the crimped wires from the terminals on the PCB. They are too tight. If I try hard, the pink rubber insulation of the crimp come out.
I need to detach the PCB to check for solder errors (Not working perfectly as of now) and also in future planning to upgrade with auricaps. I was wondering how did you manage to detach them. Did you face this problem. I think I might have pushed the crimped sockets too tightly into the terminals.
Thanks!

cyto

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2014, 03:27 am »
Sorry for the long delay, I lost my job and have been working out of town for 3 months.

I pry the connectors up with w sharp screwdriver to loosen them when I need to remove them. Hope this helps.

andyr

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2014, 11:13 am »
I always modded my phono stages with adjustable input impedance so I ended up doing that with my Cornet 2. A small piece of perf board, dip switch and a few resistors did the trick.

Why don't you simply use a parallel pair of input RCAs - so you can install 'loaded' RCA plugs to give the input impedance you want (relative to the 47K load on the PCB)?

Regards,

Andy

cyto

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2014, 12:22 am »
"Why don't you simply use a parallel pair of input RCAs - so you can install 'loaded' RCA plugs to give the input impedance you want (relative to the 47K load on the PCB)?"

Doing that only allows you to adjust the impedance below 47k, I run some cartridges at 66k or even higher....

andyr

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2014, 12:41 am »

Doing that only allows you to adjust the impedance below 47k, I run some cartridges at 66k or even higher....

Yes, that's true - but all you need to do is replace the 47K load res on the PCB with a 100K res.

I have never heard of cartridges needing >47K before ... can you tell me which carts they are?

Thanks,

Andy

cyto

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2014, 02:08 am »
Yes, that's true - but all you need to do is replace the 47K load res on the PCB with a 100K res.

I have never heard of cartridges needing >47K before ... can you tell me which carts they are?

Thanks,

Andy

Or you could replace the 47k with a dip switch and 4 resistors.

It is not about a cartridge needing a certain impedance but tweaking the sound. Share m97xe sounds better to me at 65-70k for example.