TD 145 vs Technics SL1200 MK II vs Rega P2

aceinc

TD 145 vs Technics SL1200 MK II vs Rega P2
« on: 30 Mar 2024, 11:52 pm »
I have a Thorens TD145 and a Technics SL1200 MK II. I took the TD 145 in to have the "auto lift" adjusted. The person doing the work had a few NIB Rega P1s & P2s for sale. He suggested the Rega P2 is substantially better than either of the TTs I have. He is willing to sell me a P2 for < $500.

My TD145 has an older Grado cartridge. The SL1200 has a Stanton cartridge. The Rega has whatever cartridge comes standard on the unit.

• Is he correct in his assertion regarding the quality of the P2?
  • Should I sell one or the other of my TTs and buy the Rega?
  • Should I just get a newer cartridge for one of my existing TTs?
  • If I keep one, should I keep the Technics, or Thorens?

I listen to vinyl infrequently.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: TD 145 vs Technics SL1200 MK II vs Rega P2
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2024, 12:34 am »
He suggested the Rega P2 is substantially better than either of the TTs I have.
Sales pitch. The P2 dont have outboard motor, platter with illuminated scale, strobe light, acrilic cover etc to be better than the SL1200. 90 per cent of sound quality comes from the cartridge, if you need better sound on your TT put a better cartridge, not a new table.

If I keep one, should I keep the Technics, or Thorens?
They are both awful, you must sell your rock solid, pristine, barely used SL1200 to me ASAP.

aceinc

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2024, 12:42 am »
Sales pitch. The P2 dont have outboard motor, platter with illuminated scale, strobe light, acrilic cover etc to be better than the SL1200. 90 per cent of sound quality comes from the cartridge, if you need better sound on your TT put a better cartridge, not a new table.

They are both awful, you must sell your rock solid, pristine, barely used SL1200 to me ASAP.

Reading between the lines, the SL1200 seems like a keeper. The TD145 maybe as well. The P2 has more sizzle than substance?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2024, 12:46 am »

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I need the 1200.

aceinc

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2024, 12:54 am »
No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I need the 1200.

I actually have someone trying to trade me even SL1200 for a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s. I have been equivocating. I took the TD145 in for repair to see if I liked it better once it was repaired & cleaned up before I decided to trade.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2024, 01:04 am »
Reading between the lines, the SL1200 seems like a keeper. The TD145 maybe as well. The P2 has more sizzle than substance?
IMO you dont need another TT (just ask your wife) P2 or even higher price, when these current cartridges fail you will replace with a better sound cart.

Other option to upgrade the sound are a better Phono stage, if you have a inexpensive phono stage currently.

aceinc

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2024, 01:13 am »
At present, I am playing the SL1200/Stanton through a McIntosh C32 preamp phono input.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2024, 01:29 am »
Nice, seems great, you dont need upgrade the phono stage either IMO.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2024, 04:02 am »
Hi,

If the Technics sl1200 MkII is in good condition I'd keep it and take it in for a service and get a new cartridge. I had the Technics sl1200gr turntable and I thought it was outstanding for the price.  I now use the Technics sl1200g and I can't think of another turntable in its price range I'd rather have.  :popcorn:

Cheers Rod

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2024, 09:52 am »
The Rega is a completely different player, it’s simple no frills just designed to play records. The Technics & Thorens have more fancy features, which you may or may not want.

No good asking people here what to do, only one way to go. Ask the guy if you can borrow the Rega to take home and use in your system, let your ears be the judge.
One thing I would say from my own point of view is, unless you need 2 record players for whatever reason I would rather have 1 good record player than have 2 or more mediocre ones.

aceinc

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2024, 11:58 am »
Hi,

If the Technics sl1200 MkII is in good condition I'd keep it and take it in for a service and get a new cartridge. I had the Technics sl1200gr turntable and I thought it was outstanding for the price.  I now use the Technics sl1200g and I can't think of another turntable in its price range I'd rather have.  :popcorn:

Cheers Rod

OK, for the SL1200, without breaking the bank, what cartridge would be recommended?

Something better than the Stanton, and tolerant of the idiosyncrasies of the SL1200.

aceinc

« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2024, 12:13 pm »
The Rega is a completely different player, it’s simple no frills just designed to play records. The Technics & Thorens have more fancy features, which you may or may not want.

No good asking people here what to do, only one way to go. Ask the guy if you can borrow the Rega to take home and use in your system, let your ears be the judge.
One thing I would say from my own point of view is, unless you need 2 record players for whatever reason I would rather have 1 good record player than have 2 or more mediocre ones.

I actually have other turntables, acquired over the years;

• Technics SL-DD33 missing stylus, unknown cartridge.
  • ADS P2 broken stylus, unknown cartridge
  • AR (XA?) Shure cartridge, good stylus
  • ION USB new in box

The AR works but seems "old and rickety." The P2 and SL-DD33 seem cheap & plasticky. I have never opened the ION as it seems like it would require a DAC, the picture on the box shows a USB cable connected directly to a computer.

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2024, 12:58 pm »
By the sound of things, you don’t even use most of them. So why are you buying more things you don’t need :scratch:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2024, 04:21 pm »
I use a Thorens TD-145 as well with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge and I love the sound.  I would have a hard time believing that the RP-2 is better.  Save your money or upgrade your cartridge.

Besides, you will miss the auto lift with your currrent TT's.

aceinc

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2024, 04:57 pm »
By the sound of things, you don’t even use most of them. So why are you buying more things you don’t need :scratch:

True. Over the years I have bought various audio gear from Craigslist, Offer Up, etc. a few times it was "ya gotta take it all..." which is how I ended up with 4 of the TTs. It's also how I ended up with multiples of amplifiers, receivers, reel to reels and speakers.

The SL1200 my son found in a dumpster at Ga. Tech when he was getting a degree. Didn't quite pay me back for his tuition (his success as an engineer has though).

I need to fix them all up and sell what I don't want.

toocool4

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2024, 05:58 pm »
Good idea to fix up and sell what you don’t want. You can plough in, the money you get into more music or put towards better gear.

I don’t have your problem as I don’t buy second hand, I trade in, sell or give away as soon as I buy something new and better.
I don’t have the room or money to have multiple anything.

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2024, 12:52 pm »
Hi,

Nagaoka cartridges are very good sounding for the price. Something like this would work well:

https://audiosolutions.net.au/product/nagaoka-mp-200-moving-magnet-cartridge/

The key part is to service the turntable and have it setup property. I had mine setup by my dealer and took it to Liquid Audio at a later time for a proper setup.

Cheers Rod

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2024, 01:57 am »
TD145 is a cheaper TD160. Changed teh arms on at least 100 of the 150/160/165/145.

The P2 is new, with the Rega Arm?

AFAIC you can leabve the DD to the guys that use them for making music,

My ancient Planar 2 (with a Linn Basik arm) will smoke the THorens and the Technics.

I have a second Planar 2 and a Technics 1200 arm i might marry.

Will the dealer lend you the Rega for the WE or do at least a basik comparison in his shop for you?

dave

Rocket

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2024, 12:12 pm »
Hi,

There is nothing wrong with the Technics sl1200 MkII which is a fine turntable. Whichever implementation either DD or Belt Drive is implemented well both formats will spin vinyl really well. I'd definitely try the Rega 2 if you have the chance. I had one way back in the day...

Cheers Rod

VinceT

« Reply #19 on: 2 Apr 2024, 12:20 pm »
I only have experience with the technics mk ii, it can be a real performer and great bang for the buck. They can be had in the used market pretty cheap and there are plenty of mods available (look at KAB mods) that can really take it up to a high level.