Beacon Three Preamplifier: NEW!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Beacon Three Preamplifier: NEW!
« on: 9 Jul 2010, 12:15 pm »
Beacon Three w/ retro styling & semi-gloss finish

Options:
Two outputs, four inputs & regulated DC Filaments

nunhgrader

Re: Beacon Three Preamplifier: NEW!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2010, 02:09 am »
 :drool:  Looks awesome! Still saving....always saving....

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:02 am »
Hi Blair,

What are the rear tubes and what do they do?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2010, 11:03 am »
Hi-

All three tubes in this configuration are in parallel. Three triodes per channel are in parallel.

Design goals:

1. Very fast: Based on a circuit developed with a minimal parts count. Speed is increased while the noise floor is dropped.

2. High resolution: Transparent and rich sounding. Nothing was installed that can modify the incoming signal's tonality. Richness comes from the preamp's ability to extract a large amount of detail from a recording. The additional information being picked up carries through to make one of those, "I never heard that in there before!" experiences.

The Beacon Three is configurable: Tone controls can be added, a true mono buffered sub output is available. We can even make it so you have a buffered unity gain output for recordings (before the volume control) or have it wired after the volume control. This can be made into a great preamp for recording purposes or for bi-amping (aka: use it as an active crossover!).

The last two preamps in our lineup will be a Beacon Four and Beacon Six. Four and Six will have the options of a phono preamp, remote control and various other things.

Note: Four and Six will be in our retail lineup only.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2010, 02:31 pm »
Congrats on your new design.  What are the input and output impedances? Thanks
Rich

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2010, 11:19 am »
Hi- The input impedance is 100K and output is 200 ohms in this configuration. The output impedance can vary depending on the configurations available, but with all the the sections in parallel, it's the lowest.

Available configurations:
1] Basic- as listed with three parallel triodes per channel
2] Tone control(s)
3] Sub output
4] Dual outputs
5] 2-6 inputs
6] Record buffer out, "tape" monitor switch
7] Simultaneous buffer and preamp mode outputs
8] Remote control
9] Switchable buffer/preamp mode with parallel triode circuit & others
10] Output w/ tone control and one w/out (simultaneous) [Dual outputs]
11] Active crossovers are available with the Beacon Three

Mixtures can be made with these available options.

**Note** Preamplifier models Beacon One through Six use industrial/commercial quality capacitors. No upgrades are ever necessary. The upgrades and options provided are circuit-based, what we call active upgrades.

guest1632

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2010, 02:13 pm »
Beacon Three w/ retro styling & semi-gloss finish

Options:
Two outputs, four inputs & regulated DC Filaments

Hi Blair,

Wow! ok, so what of price for basic unit with 4 inputs and two outs? What tubes are you using?

If it's the 6SN7 tube, then what is the sound difference between beacon 2 and 3?

You didn't give much detail there?

So what about this Beacon 4 and 6? What happened to 5?

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2010, 12:57 am »
There is not much of a sound difference between models Two and Three. Three can provide a higher current output to the load as well as providing a lower impedance output than Three can in this configuration (all three tubes in parallel). It's clearly a purist circuit, like One and Two's in its basic form. In other forms, we can add a tape loop, tone controls, remote control. This is a great preamp to use as an active crossover with the tone control(s).  The more tubes there are, the more configurable the preamp is.

Sonic Quality: Exceptionally good just like Beacon Two's. All preamps are designed to be transparent, yet rich sounding because they are designed to pick up everything in a recording perfectly and have an extremely low noise floor. Capacitor upgrades are never required since ones which I consider ideal are already installed.

As you go up the ladder, additional functions can be added. Four and Six are multi-function preamps, like Three, but can have more features added. As far as a "Five" goes, I did not feel it was cost effective, so it was skipped. You never know...maybe it'll show up!

Note: All preamps above the Beacon Three are going to be in our new retail line.

guest1632

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:43 am »
There is not much of a sound difference between models Two and Three. Three can provide a higher current output to the load as well as providing a lower impedance output than Three can in this configuration (all three tubes in parallel). It's clearly a purist circuit, like One and Two's in its basic form. In other forms, we can add a tape loop, tone controls, remote control. This is a great preamp to use as an active crossover with the tone control(s).  The more tubes there are, the more configurable the preamp is.

Sonic Quality: Exceptionally good just like Beacon Two's. All preamps are designed to be transparent, yet rich sounding because they are designed to pick up everything in a recording perfectly and have an extremely low noise floor. Capacitor upgrades are never required since ones which I consider ideal are already installed.

As you go up the ladder, additional functions can be added. Four and Six are multi-function preamps, like Three, but can have more features added. As far as a "Five" goes, I did not feel it was cost effective, so it was skipped. You never know...maybe it'll show up!

Note: All preamps above the Beacon Three are going to be in our new retail line.

Hi Blair,

Ok, so how about the Beacon 5 being one that is utilitarian in nature. It would have three tube sockets, one for the 12X family of tubes, the second one for say 6N1P/6CG7 and the third for the 12SN7/6SN7 tubes. This way, you can take advantage of the sonics of the 12X family, as well as the 6SN7 family all in one nice neat package.

Might be an interesting idea especially say using the 6SN7 as the input and a 5751 on the output side.

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2010, 11:52 am »

Hi again,

So on the 4 and 6, besides features like tone controls, is there mor paralleling of tubes here too?

On the five series, can't forget the 6H30 tube or surprising the little 12B4 as the input driver tube. This particular preamp would be a tube rollers' delight, and yet really sound good too in its natural state.

So again, what is the cost of the Beacon3 with 4 inputs and 2 outputs?

Ray Bronk

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2010, 01:55 pm »
Hi Ray:

I have an NS-60 SE amp and a Beacon II on order from Blair.  The amp is almost completed with the pre next.  I called Blair and spoke with him for a considerable amount of time on whether to go with a different model of the Beacon as he had not yet started my pre.  After our conversation, I have decided to stay the course and have him build the Beacon II.  Below is a quote from Blair from an earlier thread I had posted in this forum regarding my two pieces.

Both the NS-60SE & Beacon Two are designed to be compatible with a wide range of equipment.

System features:

Beacon two:
HT bypass
Buffer mode
Solid state rectifier
Two inputs
Wood sides
IEC power socket
Link capacitor output coupling
DC filaments

NS-60SE:
Wood trim package
Variable local feedback loop. (Note: Global feedback not used.)
Additional gain stage (all 6SN7 front end)
Dynaco 60 watt iron provided by Randy
1940's mod w/ dual rectifiers AND switchable solid state diodes
Tunable biasing
SE Package audio circuit: very low noise, extremely fast
Stock commercial grade capacitors. We consider them better than audio grade.
IEC power socket
DC Filaments, external high current power supply

All options and upgrades were selected to provide the most sonic improvement. Each upgrade builds upon the strengths of the other.

Hope this helps,

Randy

guest1632

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2010, 04:12 pm »
Hi Ray:

I have an NS-60 SE amp and a Beacon II on order from Blair.  The amp is almost completed with the pre next.  I called Blair and spoke with him for a considerable amount of time on whether to go with a different model of the Beacon as he had not yet started my pre.  After our conversation, I have decided to stay the course and have him build the Beacon II.  Below is a quote from Blair from an earlier thread I had posted in this forum regarding my two pieces.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Hi Randy,

Well, the 6SN7 tube if done right should be able to give you excellent results in a preamp. From what I'd read about that tube, it is one of the most lineear tubes out there, yet the hardest to get it right. If you look at tube history, that tube was one of the most immitated, like the 6CF7, and to some extent the 12AU7 tube. At least, so I have read on the net.

i was mainly interested in the Beacon3's ability to have a lower impedance than the Beacon2, plus I was interested in the sound difference between the two. Also, perhaps reading between the lines the Beacon3 will have yet more detail than the Beacon2. That I could be wrong. I will be most interested in your findings when you get your combo from Blair.

Ray Bronk

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2010, 05:22 pm »
Ray:

One of the things I talked about with Blair was impedance differences and I was told that the impedance of the Beacon II should be low enough not to be an issue.  One of the features of the III intrigued me, which was the ability to use an active crossover to bi-amp.  However, the speakers that I am finishing up (Selah TRT's), are a 2.5 driver setup, not given to biamping according to Rick Craig over at Selah.  In addition, I am already over my self-imposed audio budget limit(who isn't!! :lol:) and figure that bi-amping is not in my immediate future.

Randy

guest1632

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2010, 06:46 pm »
Ray:

One of the things I talked about with Blair was impedance differences and I was told that the impedance of the Beacon II should be low enough not to be an issue.  One of the features of the III intrigued me, which was the ability to use an active crossover to bi-amp.  However, the speakers that I am finishing up (Selah TRT's), are a 2.5 driver setup, not given to biamping according to Rick Craig over at Selah.  In addition, I am already over my self-imposed audio budget limit(who isn't!! :lol:) and figure that bi-amping is not in my immediate future.

Randy

Hi Randy,

My only real interest in the Beacon3 is its sound. If there are some sound differences between the two preamps, with the 3 sounding better than the 2, then I'm interested. But at the time of ordering, I'll discuss/hash that one out with Blair. He's offering more inputs with the 3 than the 2, and that's good.

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:02 am »
The Beacon Two is capable of more inputs and outputs. Both the Two and Three and built on the same size chassis.

Note: There is now a split gain stage option for preamps Three and up. This would improve performance.

The Beacon Three's price is $1300.00 with four inputs. Add $150.00 for a split gain stage.

Here's a sale configuration you may like:

Beacon Three with the following:
1] 4 Inputs
2] Split gain stage
3] True buffer mode
4] Your choice of color (free on all equipment!)

Price: $1500.00
Wood trim: $80.00 ($20.00 off)

Shipping: $28.00 to the Lower 48.
Dimensions: 17x10x3 inches, 19.5x10x3 inches w/ trim, Weight: 15lbs

guest1632

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm »
The Beacon Two is capable of more inputs and outputs. Both the Two and Three and built on the same size chassis.

Note: There is now a split gain stage option for preamps Three and up. This would improve performance.

The Beacon Three's price is $1300.00 with four inputs. Add $150.00 for a split gain stage.

Here's a sale configuration you may like:

Beacon Three with the following:
1] 4 Inputs
2] Split gain stage
3] True buffer mode
4] Your choice of color (free on all equipment!)

Price: $1500.00
Wood trim: $80.00 ($20.00 off)

Shipping: $28.00 to the Lower 48.
Dimensions: 17x10x3 inches, 19.5x10x3 inches w/ trim, Weight: 15lbs

Hi Blair,

Ok, so, what is this "split gain" option, and how does it improve performance?

To be honest, I don't care which one I get, just want to have the best sound. Can this "split gain" option be done on the beacon2? Probably not, since you are just paralleling both tubes?

I can see the possibility for the buffer option, but don't know if I really need it. After all, doesn't a good preamp do some form of buffering already to match impedances between amp and pre and/or pre/source?

Ray Bronk

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2010, 01:14 pm »
The isolated gain stage drives a high current buffer circuit. Having the gain stage isolated form the output makes it possible to amplify without influence from cables or the amp. As a result, amplification performance will remain the same no matter what the preamp is driving. Cabling will have less influence. It will also increase the preamp's ability to lift more information off of a recording since the gain stage is not pulling double duty.

People like buffer mode because there is more travel on the volume control. It's also a way to provide an extremely pure signal to an amp. Some recordings sound better in an attenuation mode that only provides current gain.

guest1632

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:06 pm »
The isolated gain stage drives a high current buffer circuit. Having the gain stage isolated form the output makes it possible to amplify without influence from cables or the amp. As a result, amplification performance will remain the same no matter what the preamp is driving. Cabling will have less influence. It will also increase the preamp's ability to lift more information off of a recording since the gain stage is not pulling double duty.

People like buffer mode because there is more travel on the volume control. It's also a way to provide an extremely pure signal to an amp. Some recordings sound better in an attenuation mode that only provides current gain.

Hi Blair,

Ok, slightly confused. Maybe you've oversimplified stuff a bit, but my understanding is you are using 2 or 3 tube circuits in parallel. This "buffer stage" is that a separate tube or SS stage besides the 2 or three tube circuits in parallel. Or on the Beacon3 that third tube is the actual buffer stage?

What's your number, rather call you than taking up bandwidth, although this could be educational for those reading and complantating an order besides me.

Ray Bronk

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:20 pm »
Blair,

Could you confirm what tube the Beacon III uses?

And could you discuss the pros and cons of 6SN7 versus 12SN7 tubes?  From what I've read they are similar sounding (the 12SN7 might even be better in some cases) and the 12SN7 are much cheaper.

What would your best pre-amp be (model/configuration/cost) for sound quality from a single source, no fancy cabinet, just soild state retification?

TIA

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm »
I have heard several people say how much they like the 12SN7. According to the spec. sheet, it's internally the same as a 6SN7 except for the filament voltage. I have never used it. It's my opinion that the 12SN7 may be quieter than the 6SN7 in AC filament applications and that is what people are noticing. Since the Beacon series use DC filaments, I doubt there would be any sonic difference between the two.

The Beacon preamps can use either 12AU7's or 6SN7's. By default, 6SN7's are used in the Beacon Two and up. I like octal base tubes more than miniature tubes. Other than the socket type, I do not believe there is much difference. The 6SN7 may be a tad more rich sounding, but they are very,very close.

Notes:

1] Parallel tubes: A sonically straight-forward design that has the least amount of signal processing and can drive any amp on the market.  All the preamp's tubes are set up to look like a single large tube (actually two large tubes since there is one per channel).

2] Isolated amplifier stage: A single gain stage drives paralleled outputs. The gain stage's output does not interact with the outside world at all. A set of buffers is set up to interact with cabling and the amp.

3] Buffer mode upgrade: The flip of a switch changes some internal components in order to switch the preamp into a unity gain mode. This is a true unity gain mode and actually removes the gain circuit and substitutes a different one.