Amplifier Options: More than you thought possible w/ out the sticker shock!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I'd like to think Niteshade Audio brings a clearer definition to the word CUSTOM.

Look Here:
1. Choose your colors
2. Integrated or IEC power cord
3. Choice of iron
4.Choice of biasing techniques
5.Multiple tube types (power, splitter & driver tubes)
6.Driver circuits
7. Feedback: Zero feedback, switched and variable
7. Class A, AB
8. Push-Pull or single ended
9. Exotic systems not a problem
10. Power and Integrated versions of EVERYTHING
11. Matching preamps
12. Passive preamps
13. Mega-Power to Flea Power
14. We can make a new amp out of your old/dead one

Multiple upgrade options will have fantastic discounts. FREE SHIPPING  (Lower 48) for all of October, no matter how big your creation is.

A true tube amplifier buffet.Reminds me of those restaurants where you put the food on your plate, hand it to the cook and he prepares it for you.
The cost of Ala-cart? We guarantee no sticker shock. 

TONEPUB

Hey, Ill bite...

How much for a nice modern version of the dynaco SCA-35?

15-20 wpc of EL84 power, three inputs, volume and balance controls,
maybe even a decent MM phono pre on one of those inputs...

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love an amp like that....

pbrstreetgang

How bout a modern version of the Eico 81 is a straight power amp configuration?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Specifications for a modern Dynaco SCA 35 clone with the following:

1. Integrated w/three inputs (I'll make those switchless) & balance control
2. 15 watts per channel w/ a phase inverter-less design
3. EL84 output tube setup, 12AU7 voltage amplifier
4. Ceramic sockets
5. IEC Power socket
6. 5 Ohm output
7. Tube rectified (requires power transformer upgrade by default)
8. Zero negative feedback
9. Black powder coat finish
10. Automatic Biasing (cathode)
11. 100% Point to point wired

Tone characteristics: Treble will be high resolution and extended. Mids will be linear but engaging. Bass will be tight and punchy. The sound stage will be in front of the speakers and centering will be dead-on.

This amplifier is based on our $499.00 basic push-pull setup (which does not include tubes). The upgrades include items 1,5 and 7. The price for all upgrades/modifications is: $250.00 including tubes.

Total cost: $749.00
Total cost without tube rectification: $699.00
Total cost w/ out tubes and diode rectification: $599.00
All versions have free shipping. (Lower 48 only)

NOTES:
1. I do not make phono preamps yet. It is on the to-do list!
2. This is a very moldable design. You're welcome to make suggestions and request different transformers, etc..

pardales

What fun... :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
How bout a modern version of the Eico 81 is a straight power amp configuration?

This is another one that can start from my basic $499.00 P-P system.

The basic $499.00 model specifications:
1. Push-Pull setup with power tubes ranging from the EL84 to 6L6
2. 15 Watts per channel
3. Integrated power cord
4. Diode rectified
5. Ceramic tube sockets
6. Phase splitter-less design (total of 5 tubes!)
7. Power coat chassis

HF-81 (Power Amplifier) modifications include:
1. Tube rectification
2. Larger output transformers
3. Modified Schmidt phase splitter
Options Price: $275.00

TUBES: You can use your own, or I can purchase them for you.

Total Price: $774.00 with free shipping to the lower 48.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
A note on our amplifiers:

1. Everything is point to point wired
2. All models will receive FREE SHIPPING to the Lower 48
3. Some options are more expensive than others. For example, tube rectification requires a mandatory power transformer upgrade.
4. Our base model P-P design uses a very good, yet cost effective output transformer that's rated for 15 watts.
5. Modifications and upgrades are based on the time it takes to do them and how much extra the parts cost. Various mods take different amounts of time to implement.

ZLS

aa  First, was there ever a Vintage 50 Watt (+-) EL 84 Amp?  
      Second, if not what could you do along the lines of the Manley Stingray?  

BTW, what is the best PP iron that you use?  

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
aa  First, was there ever a Vintage 50 Watt (+-) EL 84 Amp? 

My favorite PP iron is made by Edcor. The quality is incredible!

There were vintage high power PP systems and they typically used 4 tubes  per channel to produce 40 watts. Other companies like Altec used tubes like the 811A in push-pull for over 50 watts. Now we have 6L6's with 30 watt anodes and getting 45 or more from a pair is possible.

I can make a Push-Pull Parallel El84 Amplifier that's integrated and uses the same quality iron as the Stingray. That would be around 40 watts/channel, use the Schmidt phase splitter circuit, hybrid biasing and have variable feedback. The price would be around $1,700.

ZLS

aa  First, was there ever a Vintage 50 Watt (+-) EL 84 Amp? 

My favorite PP iron is made by Edcor. The quality is incredible!

There were vintage high power PP systems and they typically used 4 tubes  per channel to produce 40 watts. Other companies like Altec used tubes like the 811A in push-pull for over 50 watts. Now we have 6L6's with 30 watt anodes and getting 45 or more from a pair is possible.

I can make a Push-Pull Parallel El84 Amplifier that's integrated and uses the same quality iron as the Stingray. That would be around 40 watts/channel, use the Schmidt phase splitter circuit, hybrid biasing and have variable feedback. The price would be around $1,700.

What would the cost be for a non-integrated amp using the Edcor Iron? 
How would you describe the difference in sound between the transformers? (Megatron vs. Optimus Prime?)

pbrstreetgang

Nice! On that Eico 81 what tube would you use for rectification? Do you use 5 way binding posts?

Big Red Machine

How about 250 wpc of tube power?  Ever do that?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
To answer a couple of questions at once:

A non-integrated 40 watt/channel stereo amplifier using EL84's (8 total) would be around $1,600.

The $499 basic push pull amp uses Edcor transformers. All the transformers I choose have to have the following characteristics:

A. Wide bandwidth (minimum 30hz to 20khz)
B. The ability to resolve high frequencies in exact detail
C. A linear response
D. Bass and midrange that isn't bloated, mushy or poorly defined

I like to make amplifiers that all have similar qualities. I don't want quality to be a function of price. Price is directly proportional to power output and options ONLY.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
"Nice! On that Eico 81 what tube would you use for rectification? Do you use 5 way binding posts?"

All my amplifiers use 5-ways for speaker posts. For tube rectification on the HF-81 clone, either a 5U4 or 5AR4 would be used. Your choice!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
"How about 250 wpc of tube power?  Ever do that?"

I am working on that with the use of 572B tubes in push-pull.

FYI: A quad of 572's can develop 1kw in a P-P circuit!

Why stop at 250 watts?   :D

pardales

I like to make amplifiers that all have similar qualities. I don't want quality to be a function of price. Price is directly proportional to power output and options ONLY.

I think this is an excellent philosophy from which to approach manufacturing in this hobby.

kbuzz3

I may fall under the "esoteric camp" but a modern power amp using fisher trannies and/or circuits would be neat....and not something you see everyday

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
"I may fall under the "esoteric camp" but a modern power amp using fisher trannies and/or circuits would be neat....and not something you see everyday"

I have made an amp with Fisher 400 iron and the results are exceptionally good. The 400's iron has superb bandwidth and high frequencies are extended with extraordinary high resolution. Bass goes down into the subsonics. The kind you can __feel__ before hearing.

What I mean by 'extended': "The ability to produce high frequencies without a hint of roll-off." I don't like attenuation or any frequency modifications caused by component inadequacies. If there are to be boosts or cuts within the audio spectrum, I want FULL control over it by designing it in. There are components that can aid in the process of tone modifications and they will be chosen for specific jobs. For example, some people like the sound of specific tubes or want the effects of a tube rectifier in a moderate-power tube amp. Other may require negative feedback. Whatever is it, it can be done and can be controlled so you know what to expect. My basic designs are all transparent sounding and that's why they're so moldable to individual tastes.

ZLS

"I may fall under the "esoteric camp" but a modern power amp using fisher trannies and/or circuits would be neat....and not something you see everyday"

I have made an amp with Fisher 400 iron and the results are exceptionally good. The 400's iron has superb bandwidth and high frequencies are extended with extraordinary high resolution. Bass goes down into the subsonics. The kind you can __feel__ before hearing.

What I mean by 'extended': "The ability to produce high frequencies without a hint of roll-off." I don't like attenuation or any frequency modifications caused by component inadequacies. If there are to be boosts or cuts within the audio spectrum, I want FULL control over it by designing it in. There are components that can aid in the process of tone modifications and they will be chosen for specific jobs. For example, some people like the sound of specific tubes or want the effects of a tube rectifier in a moderate-power tube amp. Other may require negative feedback. Whatever is it, it can be done and can be controlled so you know what to expect. My basic designs are all transparent sounding and that's why they're so moldable to individual tastes.

Edcor, Fisher, Scott, Heath; which would you consider the best Iron for an El84 PP Amp?
    Is there any other Iron that if you were going to build a "Balls To The Wall", a "Pedal To The Metal", a "I know this is an insane amplifier, but if I wasn't crazy I wouldn't be in this "Hobby" at all" Amplifier?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
"Edcor, Fisher, Scott, Heath; which would you consider the best Iron for an El84 PP Amp? Is there any other Iron that if you were going to build a "Balls To The Wall", a "Pedal To The Metal", a "I know this is an insane amplifier, but if I wasn't crazy I wouldn't be in this "Hobby" at all" Amplifier?"

How about a YES! to all the above mentioned iron.

If I were to go all out on an amplifier, the first step is beginning with iron that's rated for over what the circuit calls for. For example, a 20 watt/channel amplifier would use 40 watt outputs. I have always had excellent results with this approach. I do believe Edcor's iron can stand in line with Fisher, Scott, Heath, etc.  The same principle will go with the power transformer: It the design calls for a 200va transformer, use a 300 or 400va unit. I would use a large chassis too. More space equals less noise, better cooling and a reduction in bird's nests underenath. Transformer upgrades are ___very___ nice because you pay extra for hardware and no so much for added labor. Circuit modifications, anything that adds to a circuit can be labor intense. I'm not saying that's a bad thing- it's just the way it is.  For example, adding tone controls is considerably more labor intense than adding larger transformers.