AES vs USB

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: AES vs USB
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2019, 12:16 pm »
I will be doing a upgrade in the fall for that AES cable.

The cable to spend $ on is the interconnect between your preamp and power amp. Also between your DAC and pre. 2 pairs right there. Digital cabling should be cheap but functional.

Good article here, which I mostly agree with:
https://donaldscarinci.com/audio-cables-should-i-upgrade/

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2019, 02:05 pm »
...  I can’t justify having two cables at that dollar value sitting with one doing nothing. 
Sorry, for some reason I was thinking you had a BDA3 and a BDP3 wherein you could connect both AES and USB.  :o By the way, what price do you consider a cable to be expensive?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 13 Aug 2019, 02:36 pm »
gbaby, I think mike does have a BDA3 -- the first post in this thread.....

gbaby

« Reply #23 on: 13 Aug 2019, 03:59 pm »
gbaby, I think mike does have a BDA3 -- the first post in this thread.....

Too bad he doesn't have the BDP3. While off the subject, I am having fun importing all my CDs to .aiff files and getting the cover art using dbpoweramp. I am finding CDs that I put in the wrong case so this is a good thing for me. Now the BDP3 is indispensable.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 13 Aug 2019, 04:08 pm »
^ BDP-2 was a big jump for me, coming from the much slower and capacity-limited -1. Plus the IAD inside the -2 seems to be a sonic improvement. I will stick with the -2 for life, as it has plenty of muscle for my two attached drives. Mostly Flac rips from my CDs, and MP3-320s bought from various online sites.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2019, 12:17 am »
Sorry, for some reason I was thinking you had a BDA3 and a BDP3 wherein you could connect both AES and USB.  :o By the way, what price do you consider a cable to be expensive?
$1000 and up for a digital cable

schmidtmike76

« Reply #26 on: 14 Aug 2019, 12:21 am »
I jumped to a Lumin player.  It’s really good I cannot and will not say anything about bryston I’m dedicated to them.  Lumin is on another level, it sounds analog all over again.  As I get more hours on it I get thrown back more and more. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2019, 02:18 am »

:o :o
ouch

schmidtmike76

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2019, 02:20 am »
Ouch is right but the right cables IMO is part of the fine tuning that can really make a system sing beyond what we thought possible. 

gbaby

« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2019, 04:35 pm »
^ BDP-2 was a big jump for me, coming from the much slower and capacity-limited -1. Plus the IAD inside the -2 seems to be a sonic improvement. I will stick with the -2 for life, as it has plenty of muscle for my two attached drives. Mostly Flac rips from my CDs, and MP3-320s bought from various online sites.

I cannot blame your for sticking with the BDP2. Its just as good.

gbaby

« Reply #30 on: 14 Aug 2019, 04:37 pm »

You are truly wasting money.  :o Remember P. T. Barnum.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2019, 04:48 pm »
I really and mean really disagree with that.  Ive heard multiple cables from multiple brands and more often as you move up music gets better.  Digital or not even moving within the Nordost range a very easy difference could be heard. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2019, 04:57 pm »
I can only detect audible diffs between my AES, BNC, and USB cables (BDP-2 > BDA-3) when it's a so-so recording. With the best recs, none that I can hear in my Bryston system. Even with a "hi-end" cable like Cardas, and a cheapie like Canare LV61 BNC (an excellent coaxial, btw). Which is good news. Saves me tons of cash to spend on other stuff.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #33 on: 14 Aug 2019, 05:12 pm »
I can only detect audible diffs between my AES, BNC, and USB cables (BDP-2 > BDA-3) when it's a so-so recording. With the best recs, none that I can hear in my Bryston system. Even with a "hi-end" cable like Cardas, and a cheapie like Canare LV61 BNC (an excellent coaxial, btw). Which is good news. Saves me tons of cash to spend on other stuff.
I dont disagree with that either.  Music for me is my out on life so I try to leech every ounce I can.

gbaby

« Reply #34 on: 14 Aug 2019, 06:16 pm »
I jumped to a Lumin player.  It’s really good I cannot and will not say anything about bryston I’m dedicated to them.  Lumin is on another level, it sounds analog all over again.  As I get more hours on it I get thrown back more and more.
How can you make a comment like this and you have not even heard the Bryston? I have read a review stating the Bryston using USB drives sounds comparable to a 30K digital player. I use to be like you equating price for quality. But, after wasting tons of money, I find now I can get high end sound for a reasonable price as long as companies like Bryston exist. :nono:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 14 Aug 2019, 06:30 pm »
gbaby, who's your Brystie dealer down there in your state (Carolina?)?

cheers

schmidtmike76

« Reply #36 on: 14 Aug 2019, 06:45 pm »
How can you make a comment like this and you have not even heard the Bryston? I have read a review stating the Bryston using USB drives sounds comparable to a 30K digital player. I use to be like you equating price for quality. But, after wasting tons of money, I find now I can get high end sound for a reasonable price as long as companies like Bryston exist. :nono:
my entire system is Bryston coming from a Bryston player?  If you want to get into a pissing match over my likes we can. 

gbaby

« Reply #37 on: 14 Aug 2019, 06:56 pm »
my entire system is Bryston coming from a Bryston player?  If you want to get into a pissing match over my likes we can.

Not my intention. Don't get offended. I will find the article and post so you will know what I am speaking about.

gbaby

« Reply #38 on: 14 Aug 2019, 07:02 pm »
gbaby, who's your Brystie dealer down there in your state (Carolina?)?

cheers

I don't have a Bryston dealer in North Carolina. I went to buy an SP3 from the Bryston dealer in Raleigh, North Carolina and he was trying to sell me the Classe SST after I had just read the article in Stereophile where the Bryston was rated better by Kal Rubinson. I was told in order to listen to the SP3, I would have to buy the unit, however, I would never buy a unit this price without listening to it.. In any event, I purchased my SP3 from the Hi Fi House outside Philadelphia in Jenkinstown. They have since went into Bankruptcy, but I found a dealer in Missouri that I purchase products from when I'm in that State.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #39 on: 14 Aug 2019, 07:03 pm »
Not my intention. Don't get offended. I will find the article and post so you will know what I am speaking about.
thanks gbaby I do like a interesting read!  Education never hurt anyone