Purity Audio Design - Silver Statement Ultra GT Announced

highfilter

Wow, I just read the write-up on the new Silver Statement Ultra GT pre-amp, from Purity Audio - sounds like a beast. Anyone order one yet? Haha.  :o

I've been following their products for awhile and they seem to have a solid line-up going. This should be really interesting when feedback starts coming out about this new one. Of course this is way out of my price range, but it looks intensely developed. Dueland coupling capacitors, Bybee Purifiers everywhere, Bybee Music Rails, silver throughout and a massive power supply...  8)

You can read more about it here: http://www.purityaudiodesign.com/ultra%20gt.htm

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Purity Audio Design - Silver Statement Ultra GT Announced
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2011, 11:17 pm »
Greetings highfilter,
 Thanks for noticing the new Ultra GT. You will be seeing some feedback as consumers receive their pieces. If you are ever in the Chicago area, you are welcome to get in touch with Jamn Audio as he will have his unit soon as well.

Some internal pictures will also be posted on the web site in the next week or so.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:30 am »
Bill,

Looks like you've got all the cool caps, bybees, outboard fully polypropylene power supply, Intact Audio/Bent's autoformers etc...but care to expand a little on the circuit? Looks like it is transformer coupled at input and output, and it must be a differential/balanced circuit as well. How did you arrive with the 12AU7 tube choice given the plethora of even lower distortion tubes out there? And why not DHT especially at the $25K price point?

I'm just curious that's all...

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2011, 01:34 am »
DHT especially at the $25K price point?

:thumb:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:01 pm »
I'm just curious that's all...

That is certainly a valid question. The simple answer is that DHT's are not for everyone. We have worked with many tubes and landed on the 12AU7 and this circuit for the purpose of sufficient gain, low distortion and sonic purity. Our Purity 12AU7 circuit has proven itself time and time again with consumer and show feedback. We do things a bit differently with this circuit so you can expect the same from a Purity Audio Design DHT design.

DHT circuits also have a lot of drawbacks that must be overcome which is something we are working on. What does this mean? Simply that we are working on a DHT circuit but in a slightly different application. To me, the best sounding DHT tube has the most to overcome and will take some time to get right. We will not officially release a product until it is 100%. I won't get into the application or tube of choice at this time. I cannot let the cat out of the bag just yet.

mdfoy

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:37 pm »
What is DHT?

bunky

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:49 pm »
I think it stands for direct heated triode  :scratch:

mdfoy

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:10 pm »
and :scratch:

KJ

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: highfilter
Wow, I just read the write-up on the new Silver Statement Ultra GT pre-amp, from Purity Audio - sounds like a beast. Anyone order one yet? Haha.

:wave:

bunky

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:36 pm »
and :scratch:
I was hoping that Bill Baker would chime in as i have never heard of a Direct Heated Triode being implemented in a preamplifier Circuit before  :lol:

Audioclyde

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:33 pm »
I may be mistaken but I think Supratek & Manley make preamps based on the 300B. Would love to hear one.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:49 pm »
There are quite a few DHT based preamps out there using all types of tubes including the 45, 2A3 and 300B. The problem with any I have heard is noise issues. These tubes are difficult to design into a noise free linestage circuit. Not that it can't be done but a different approach must be taken.

Audioclyde

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm »
Can't wait till you have a DHT version Bill!!

Randy

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2011, 04:27 am »
Can't wait till you have a DHT version Bill!!

Randy

Hi Randy, I wouldn't look for a DHT "linestage" to come through too soon. At least not this year. I think the market for such a piece is too small. We will let the Basis and Purity Series do their thing for a while. Our application using DHT tubes will be quite different and no, we are not coming out with a SET amplifier.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2011, 04:59 am »
I was hoping that Bill Baker would chime in as i have never heard of a Direct Heated Triode being implemented in a preamplifier Circuit before  :lol:
There are quite a few DHT based preamps out there using all types of tubes including the 45, 2A3 and 300B. The problem with any I have heard is noise issues. These tubes are difficult to design into a noise free linestage circuit. Not that it can't be done but a different approach must be taken.

As Bill has rightly said there are several manufacturers. Here is yet another one (scroll to the middle of the linked page): Coincident Statement.

Of course noise issues are the biggest problem with DHT's, but once you can cross that hurdle, the sound can be really sublime.

Anand.