A cry of help from a newbie

jetrocket

« on: 15 Nov 2003, 05:39 pm »
Hi -- I am so happy to have found this forum.  I am in a crisis and hoping for assistance. I have a Stratos which I love dearly. I recently believe a fuse was blown. I spoke with Klauss and he instructed me to go in and open the top to check and if the fuse(s) were really blown then purchase new ones from Radio Shack. Of course being electronically inept I have a lot of trepidation about opeing up the unit. It has taken me two weeks to work up the steel to do so! However I cannot open the damn thing. Can anyone walk me through step by step of what I am suppose to do? What's the appropriate tool(s)? -- what type of fuse should I look for when I go to Radio Shack? Any help would be appreciated. I tried to recontact Klauss but have been unsuccessful -- I suspect he's very busy. Maybe there's a helpful soul here that can empathize and offer support/guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Jetrocket -- NYC

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2003, 05:52 pm »
If you look on the top of the unit, you will see some hexhead screws.

Mine takes a #8 hexhead screwdriver.

Just take those screws out and the lid lifts right off.

With that screwdriver it should only be a few minute procedure.

If the fuse is blown, just take that down to RS and they will give you the same ones (but in a set of 2 or four).

Make sure your unit is unplugged and has been for a while before you start playing with the fuses!

Good luck.

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2003, 06:34 pm »
there be a fuse in the back also :o pop the cover of the receptical that the power cord plugs into. there should be a spare fuse in there also :mrgreen:
good luck-zaaaaaappppp-lol

W.C.

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2003, 08:10 pm »
You have received very good information so far. Does the amp power up at all? Is it just one channel that doesn't play?

jetrocket

Newbie thanks...
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2003, 09:46 pm »
Hi -- this is indeed great info...yes, the unit does power up. The right channel plays fine. There may have been a surge or something from the left speaker (Energy A52s). I'm going out right now to find me a hex-head screwdriver (#8).  Thanks for sharing yourselves.  I'll let you know how things proceed.

Peace --
Jetrocket

W.C.

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2003, 10:18 pm »
When you take the top off, you should see 4 fsses on the main circuit board. Two on the right and two on the left. If a fuse is blown, it should be one on the left side. You should check all four to be safe.

jetrocket

sucess!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2003, 04:44 pm »
Hi -- just wanted to report back that the issue has been resolved thanks to all of your help. It took me a week to get it together but now baby's humming like a bird.  You are all a great resource.

Thanks
jetrocket

pancro

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:32 am »
What type of fuses dose the Stratos take?

jetrocket

Fuses
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2003, 04:36 pm »
I used radio shack's 5-amp fast acting fuses (125 volt*5x20mm*GMA type -- however Klaus recommended 6 amp, 225, 20 mm/fast acting -- Radio Shack was not stocking this specification.  They're very cheap -- $1.49 US.

Jetrocket

pancro

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2003, 01:30 pm »
So where can you find Klaus recommended fuses for the Stratos? Will using Radio Shacks 5 amp fuse alter anything.

pancro

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2003, 03:56 pm »
Can I use a 6 amp 125, 20mm/fast acting fuse in the Stratos amp?

spiffnme

• http://www.funnyfarmcomics.net
recommended fuses
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2004, 07:07 pm »
I'm having the same problem.  My right channel is dead.  Klaus says it's a fuse, though I just tested all four of my fuses and all four test OK.  (see my new thread "Dead Stratos?".    :(

I found the exact fuses that Klaus recommended here.

They're the:

6.3 amp
250 volt
5x20mm
fast blow

$0.88/each

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2004, 07:57 pm »
I have Monos and they have a fuse in the IEC AC recepticle on the amplifier back.  This in addition to the 4 on the circuit board.  Are you sure Klaus isn't telling you THAT'S the one to check?  It should have a spare in the carrier that slides out from the housing.

Bob

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2004, 08:02 am »
OK,  we get the fuses in large quantities from sourcing houses,  such as Mouser or Digikey.  In some instancs,  we try to get ahold of overstock lots.  Anyway,  anybody in need of either outside or inside fuses,  or just wants to stock up on them,  please let me know.  they're somewhat in the 20 c  average / piece range.

Late,

Klaus