Interconnects

floresjc

Re: Interconnects
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2009, 03:13 am »
Thanks for the suggestion of Monoprice. I had never used them or even seen them, and they are extremely cheap. It sounds like the connections they make are shaky? Or only with banana plugs? Like I said I normally use Blue Jeans, but in this case, I don't think I can go with them for everything.

I need 18 RCA interconnect cables, 8 at a roughly 8 ft. length and the other 10 about 1-2ft. I also need a 25 ft subwoofer cable, a 3ft coax cable, and a pair of banana/banana speaker cables about 30 ft long. For a 1 ft. RCA cable, Blue jeans wants 33 bucks, so I'd need to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 bucks just for interconnects. Not going to fly with the wife right now. Unless that is the cost for a L/R channel pair?

I'm going to take a hybrid approach. For the interconnects, I'm going to get the 18 interconnects for basically 50 bucks at monoprice. Seeing as I have radio shack coax and other old assorted cables right now, I probly won't see any negative impact to my system. For the sub cable and speaker cables, I'm going to stick with Blue jeans, I like their offerings.

I have one other question. I'm running an Outlaw 1070 as my surround processor, which will feed a PS 2100 2-channel preamp (with passthrough), and the AVA 240/3. For the subwoofer connection, I have to go from the 1070 preout to the 2100 and then from the 2100 out to the powered sub. I know I'm going to buy the Blue jeans sub cable for the 2100 out to the sub run. The question is, do I buy a purpose made sub cable for between the 1070 preout and the 2100, or just another RCA interconnect?

earthbound

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2009, 02:17 pm »
The question is, do I buy a purpose made sub cable for between the 1070 preout and the 2100, or just another RCA interconnect?

I don't think there is any difference except for the color of the connector. Remember when digital audio via RCA connections first appeared? You could buy a special "digital" cable for that or just use one of the many yellow video cables that you probably had lying around. I think it is the same for the sub cables. The only time I might get particular in what I used would be for longer cable runs.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2009, 08:01 pm »
I was using acoustic zen matrix II and straight wire crescendo

great cables - very resolving dynamic tonally balanced

then I tried Purist Audio cables
a whole greater level of blackness resolution vibrancy

oops - didn't see the budget constraints
yes Blue Jean is good - use it all over my home theatre

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #23 on: 3 Sep 2009, 08:59 pm »
I will bring the special speaker wires that Martyo made for me to use at the Salk/AVA exhibit at RMAF again this October.

There you can see and hear the most amazing speaker wires of all.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2009, 01:20 pm »
Those fabulous Funk Brothers, hard to keep em straight.  :lol:
Thanks Frank, but those special show cables were designed, engineered, and painstakingly hand made by Mark, of the fabulous Funk Bros.  :lol:  8)