RMAF

Meicheng

RMAF
« on: 26 Sep 2014, 02:55 am »
Jim, what (speakers) are you showing at RMAF in October?  Thanks. 

jsalk

Re: RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2014, 02:46 pm »
Jim, what (speakers) are you showing at RMAF in October?  Thanks. 

We haven't finalized things yet.  I know we will be bringing SS8's and our new Exotica 3 models.  We may also bring a pair of SongTower RT's.  Is there anything you would like to see (not sure we'd have time to build anything at this point, but we may have some other options as well)?

- Jim

tonyptony

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2014, 09:57 pm »
Jim, I suspect the Exotica 3s will be enough for most people. :) Looking forward to seeing you, Frank, and the rest of the team again.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2014, 07:00 pm »
comments and pix, please!

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:05 pm »
Art I couldn't get the pictures to load correctly on audio circle from my phone.  If you go to Ava's Facebook page I posted a few there. As far as sound goes,  people leaving the room were impressed. A few stated "finally a room worth going into".

Here is a link  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Audio-by-Van-Alstine/276181349253330

Stercom

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2014, 11:00 am »
If you scroll down in the link provided below you will find some of Jim Clements' RMAF 2014 show coverage of Salk and AVA.  Just thought people might enjoy reading this.

https://plus.google.com/communities/107625336931068040032/stream/627d40ca-f952-4faf-a49b-a6596a173f50

"RMAF-2014 - The Salk Exotica 3 speakers ($11,995) are brand new this year.  Just a totally gorgeous finish on these. Quite the sight to behold indeed.  And as usual with Salk speakers the performance far exceeded the asking price. These speakers have high end drivers and dual 8" servo-controlled powered subs.  On a classical selection, the sound was free of the cabinets and the powered subs really gave the sense of a great hall even in the smallish hotel room. I was quite impressed.

Amplification was by Audio by Van Alstine including the FET Valve CF preamp that so impressed me during my recent review." 

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2014, 12:26 pm »
Thanks for the link.  Good reading on a Sunday morning.

My fav statement by far:   

Focal Grande Utopia EM and Boulder electronics. Sounded awesome, but $270,000 for speakers? Go to hell.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:56 am »
The Exotica's had the most stunning finish that I have ever seen on a speaker.  Gayle was totally blown away, too.

It is always good to see you, Jim.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:59 am »
The Exotica's had the most stunning finish that I have ever seen on a speaker.  Gayle was totally blown away, too.

It is always good to see you, Jim.
Agreed.  I don't know what the blue speakers were but those were delicious. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:35 am »
Thanks for the link.  Good reading on a Sunday morning.

My fav statement by far:   

Focal Grande Utopia EM and Boulder electronics. Sounded awesome, but $270,000 for speakers? Go to hell.

My "go to hell" point on speakers would be at less than ten cents on the dollar on these.

tonyptony

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:27 pm »
I had a great time at the show. Jim was his usual inviting and humble self and Frank was... Frank. Just kidding! :D Frank was also in good form even though he's still dealing with that knee. Good folks, good music. Very nice sound from the Exotica 3s. As mentioned earlier they are stunning looking as well.

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:06 pm »
Just returned from RMAF this morning.  Good to be back at the shop.

We had a great time at this year's event.  Hooked up with some old friends and made quite a few new ones.

The show went very well.  People who took the time to examine the finish really liked the midnight blue Veracity ST's we had on hand.  We hope to post a picture of them in the next day or two.  The reaction was so positive, we thought perhaps we would have a special SongTower promotion in a series of colors (although blue is bound to be the favorite).

The reaction to our Exotica 3's was also extremely positive. One visitor to our room really made my day.  Olav Arntzen, President of Seas, spent about a half hour listening to the Exotica 3's.  He then approached me to say he was "extremely proud" to have supplied the drivers for this design.  I got the distinct impression that the Exotic line of drivers were his pride and joy. And he really seemed to like what he heard.

The day before, I had spent some time talking to one of the Seas engineers. I asked Olav the same question I had asked the engineer..."what makes these drivers sound so good?"  Both had the same answer...the Alnico magnets.  Without getting technical, they both explained that Alnico magnets perform differently than ferrous magnets and are far superior for speaker drivers.  Alnico, however, is expensive (especially with the amounts used in these drivers) and that is why the resulting  drivers are so pricey.  But when you hear them, you realize Alnico is worth every penny.

Thanks to all those who paid us a visit at RMAF.  Mary and I appreciate your support and encouragement.  Now its on to the task at hand...building speakers.

- Jim

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:14 pm »
Jim,

You just now got back? :)

Personally, I really like your Exotica.
As a matter of fact, I compared our new Seraphim with yours and the new VR-55 and came away liking the Exotica the most.

Good job Jim.

Sorry I didn't really have time to stick around to chat more.

Until next time, stay safe & healthy.

Thanks,

Hugh

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:20 pm »
Hugh -

Thanks.  It is a long drive and we took an extra day to unwind before we set out for home.

See you at the next show!

- Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:36 pm »
The reaction was so positive, we thought perhaps we would have a special SongTower promotion in a series of colors (although blue is bound to be the favorite).
Maybe some Red, White & Blue!   :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:07 pm »
The Exotica towers both looked and sounded beautiful, good job.  :thumb:

Meicheng

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:10 pm »
I loved the blue Veracity Song Towers.  In person this was a very amazing finish. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:02 pm »
How come I did not bump into many of you in Denver?  Sorry I missed you guys.

tonyptony

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2014, 01:35 pm »
Big Red, yeah I wasn't sure how I missed you either. :scratch:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:35 pm »
How come I did not bump into many of you in Denver?  Sorry I missed you guys.
Pete,  I just looked for the biggest guy in the room  :D  Good seeing you.  Too bad it is only once every year or two.