4bsst/2 reviews

werd

4bsst/2 reviews
« on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:34 pm »
I was wandering if anyone has come across any reviews on the new 4bsst/2 yet? If so, knowing what publication or the link to it would be appreciated, thanx

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 4bsst/2 reviews
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:57 pm »
Hi All,

Just got this today from our distributor in Greece.  I have the PDF if anyone speaks Greek.

Dear James,

Please find the attached file with the review of the 4BSST2 (SQ) in HITECH magazine, as it came out today. This is a very good review. Indeed there is not even a word in the entire review that could be held against the 4BSST2. Have a look at the closing statements:

"If this kind of quality sound cost a fortune, it wouldn't be news for anybody, especially in our times. The Canadians, however, are absolutely down to earth and have full consciousness of their mission.

With a price tag of about a fiver (means 5.000) we welcome the 4BSST2 as the ultimate solution of very high power, a solution that honors the sense of transparency and musicality, and at the same time being 100% able to stimulate even the most demanding speaker in the market.

The only thing that is left from our side, is a recommendation - squared!"

Kind regards.
Leonidas Plakoutsis

danman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2009, 05:00 pm »
Kind words indeed!

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:01 am »
Here is another review

4B SST2 BP26 BDC-1 BDA-1

http://bryston.com/reviews/bp26/hifinews_bp264b.pdf

Hi Fi News June 2009.

Andy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2009, 11:59 am »
I was wandering if anyone has come across any reviews on the new 4bsst/2 yet? If so, knowing what publication or the link to it would be appreciated, thanx

Hi werd,

This arrived this morning:

Congrats to Bryston on a Reviewers' Choice Award on the 4B SST SQ!

Review will be posted on line July 1st 2009 on the 'Soundstage' website.

james

PS- just heard the reviewer wishes to purchase the amp - best of all possible recommendations.

danman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2009, 01:06 pm »
WOOOHOOOO! :D

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:57 pm »
man! lots of awards in the last time for the Bryston team. unbelievable.

keep up the good work! :thumb:

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2009, 01:22 am »
Good news! What preamp was the Soundstage! reviewer using with the 4B?

werd

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:43 am »

Hi werd,

This arrived this morning:

Congrats to Bryston on a Reviewers' Choice Award on the 4B SST SQ!

Review will be posted on line July 1st 2009 on the 'Soundstage' website.

james

PS- just heard the reviewer wishes to purchase the amp - best of all possible recommendations.

Hello folks

Congratz, i 've been  waitn for the the awards to start coming in on the 4Bsq. I am goin to look for that issue when it comes out

danman

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2009, 12:41 pm »
I am sure it will win many more!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2009, 11:32 am »
Soundstage Review on 4B SST(SQ)

http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/bryston_4b_sst2.htm
"REVIEWERS CHOICE AWARD"

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:45 pm »
 :dance:Great stuff for sure.

MOZ

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:43 pm »
Hi all, hi James,

Just got my 4B SST2.
Wonderful, even more delicate than the old 4B ST i was lended.  :thumb:
Much more accurate in bass response and highs are a wonder.

It matches perfectly my Revel Studio 1 and the great 9B SST2 i use for surrounds and center !
I also got a Revel Ultima sub 30, god it's starting to be serious here  :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2009, 05:01 pm »
Hi all, hi James,

Just got my 4B SST2.
Wonderful, even more delicate than the old 4B ST i was lended.  :thumb:
Much more accurate in bass response and highs are a wonder.

It matches perfectly my Revel Studio 1 and the great 9B SST2 i use for surrounds and center !
I also got a Revel Ultima sub 30, god it's starting to be serious here  :o

Hi MOZ,

ENJOY!

james

rmurray

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2009, 05:29 pm »
 :thumb:Just read the Soundstage review on the 4B squared. I'm convinced now to purchase the new version. My st model is fantastic, but like he said; you don't know a problem until it's removed. I still wonder, is there any difference in voicing between the pro and c series models? I like the hardcore professional studio look but I'm getting more attract :drool:ed to the classy engraved panel of the C unit. Happy listening to all......RMURRAY.

danman

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2009, 05:42 pm »
Going from the ST to the SST2 series (never heard the other SST) I can say that I felt and heard almost exactly what was said in the review.

rmurray, you will not regret your purchase! :D

rmurray

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2009, 10:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply. This sets my decision to make the change. I hope maybe James Tanner can answer the part about any differences between the pro and the C models. RMURRAY. :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2009, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply. This sets my decision to make the change. I hope maybe James Tanner can answer the part about any differences between the pro and the C models. RMURRAY. :thumb:

Hi rmurray,

The difference between the Pro and Consumer version (beyond cosmetics) is that the Pro version has Gain (volume) controls in the circuit path of each channel.

I usually recommend the consumer version if you want the simplest circuit path and the Pro mode lif you need the volume adjustment feature.

james

rmurray

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2009, 02:12 am »
Thanks again James. I recon the C series is the more purist approach consdering the' less is more' in the hi-fi world. (still love that ruggrd studio look though  heh heh ... aa :violin:. RMURRAY.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2009, 01:09 pm »
desirable audio boutique 欲望:音响
the adventure of maggielurva, panzer

A 300W Brute....Not! - The Bryston 4BSST2 Poweramp

Though the Bryston 4BSST2 poweramp put out 300w per channel, it was no brute. In fact I would describe it as civilized.

Lest my descriptions above conjured up an image of softness, slowness, or lack-lustreness, I must assure you that these descriptions did not apply the Bryston at all. In fact, the Bryston was dead neutral, true to the tradition also exhibited by its sibling, the BP26 preamp which I wrote about earlier. The 4BSST2's power allowed it to be totally unfazed by anything and always demonstrated a good grip and control on the proceedings. It was not indifferent nor was it playing things over-excitedly, it just did the stuff it was asked to do.

The 4BSST2 exerted total control on my Egglestonworks The Nine loudspeakers at all listening levels. In my admittedly smallish listening room, I could not get the 4BSST2 to misbehave one bit. The loudspeakers could take the wattage punishment from the 4BSST2, but my ears gave up way earlier, and at this point, my room was literally shaking already.

I think at my highest tolerable listening level, the 4BSST2 was not even breaking a sweat, there was no strain, not one hint of distortion, the sound
continued to be clean and controlled. I felt the amp was just cruising along, gleefully waiting for me to up the volume control some more.

On the other side of the spectrum, playing quieter music, the 'it was no brute' part held true too. I could throw a string quartet (Beethoven String Quartets Op18 No.6 and Op59 No.1 "Razumovsky" Cleveland Quartet; Telarc CD-80229) at it or simple music of a voice and a guitar (Sara K. "Don't I know you from somwehre?" Stockfisch SFR35760555.2), there wasn't any harshness or aggressiveness. Its quality of control, focus, detail, accuracy continued to shine through. The Bryston was equally good at handling the macro and micro things.

I have no complaint about the BP26 preamp and poweramp combo's frequency extension, which was fully extended on the both ends. The slight highlight at the upper mid I experienced on the BP26 preamp before was there. I believe the 4BSST2 also had a bit of its own as this characteristic was also heard when it was partnered with my Pass Labs X2.5. With my Egglestonsworks' silk dome tweeter, this highlight gave a heightened awareness of details. But the flip side of the coin was that, I believe, if one has an unruly tweeter, the Bryston would expose it for what it was too.

See, the Brystons were honest, they don't cover things up for you.

Read Panzer's write up on the Bryston combo for a more in depth analysis, my experience pretty much pull at the same direction.

This combo really took the neutrality, detail, control, accuracy creed to the max!