Receiver to go with turntable and tv

Kheggis

Receiver to go with turntable and tv
« on: 23 Dec 2018, 04:49 pm »
Hi!
I'm looking for an affordable receiver to go with my TV, turntable and speakers. I've been looking at the Sony STR DH190, which has phono inputs for turntable but i'm not sure it has the right inputs for TV as well (yes, i'm new to all this).
Is the STR DH190 suitable or should I look elsewhere? In case, what would be better options?

Thanks

richidoo

Re: Receiver to go with turntable and tv
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2018, 06:47 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Kheggis!

This Sony receiver is all analog, so it will work fine with stereo playback and (moving magnet) phono. But it can't do any digital tasks like DAC or video switching that are common with modern TV setups. So to hear the TV's audio through this receiver requires that all your video sources have analog audio outputs. For instance, a DirecTV Genie does not have analog audio outputs, so would not work.

Please tell us more about the components you want to connect to your new receiver.

Also, be aware that this receiver can only handle speakers with minimum nominal impedance of 6ohms. So if you are using hifi type speakers be sure that their impedance doesn't dip too much below 6 ohms.
Rich

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2018, 06:56 pm »
Welcome!  Don't forget https://www.accessories4less.com/

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2018, 07:52 pm »
Do you know if the turntable has a builtin phono preamp?

Im sure this will do fine but without a phono preamp in the receiver.   The difference here are the hdmi inputs and outputs for the TV.   
Sony STR-DH590 $180

If you need a phono preamp builtin  then maybe
Denon AVR-S640H $380

But you can look for an external phono preamp and more RCA cables that should work too. A lot of phono preamps stsrt around $80, but you will need one more set of rca cables.