Moving House

AB

Moving House
« on: 4 Nov 2011, 04:58 pm »
I have been moving house this week.
Not too bad an endeavor but I saved the best for last...the last thing to get dismantled and packed, of course, was the stereo and listening room.

Good lord, what a bunch of stuff.

I just managed to pack up 4 Real Traps diffusers and their stands, 6 2x2 Mini Traps, 2 RFZ Panels and their stands, 6 Mondo Traps (2 more to go but they're behind the speakers and rack). Plus I have 2 Mini Traps mounted to the ceiling/wall which will come off once the gear is out of the room.

I think that's it.

I did keep and store all the boxes for the traps, the gear and the speakers. Lots of cubic feet there but I am glad to have it all now. I can't imagine how it would all go without the boxes.

And here's the interesting part. After breaking down the diffusers, the RFZ panels and 2 Mondo Traps, I sat and had a listen. A real long listen.

I was blown away at how different the system sounded. It was not bad at all. In fact, I would say it was VERY good but VERY different from the normal. Interesting.
The soundstage was huge and enveloping, the center image more forward while the depth of the SS shortened by quite a bit. There was tremendous punch and dynamics too.

In short, the sound I was getting with all the treatments was very sophisticated and controlled. This sound was wilder and in your face, more aggressive.

After a few hours, I slowly began to realize I was missing details and the subtle "things" that make the music intimate. I was still loving the sound but I was noticing the differences rather than just the big change in presentation.

I will listen again tonight just to see what changes there are now after all the other stuff's been removed. Should be interesting :o.

And then the gear and speakers will go into boxes and I'll be system less for a period.  :(

Hipper

Re: Moving House
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2011, 11:46 am »
I have a Behringer Equaliser which, along with room treatment, is the making of my system, and I took it out of the line and like you, at first I thought  'wow'.

After a time though, not long in my case, it becomes unpleasant and tedious to listen to. Then I go back to the proper set-up and it sounds better then ever!

Clearly there's psychology going on here.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Re: Moving House
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2011, 05:13 pm »
thank you for your insight!

that is quite a room full of treatments

did you listen at various stages as you were removing the panels?

I have a back wall of echo busters that solved a slap echo problem

I am in the process of upgrading and ordering 3 mondos, 1 tri corner, 2 rmz (ceiling) and three near diffusors
interested in hearing the changes