Mixing ST and SST amps

rob_o

Mixing ST and SST amps
« on: 12 Jul 2008, 10:12 pm »
I own a pair of 7B STs which have served me well for many years. I’m in the process of building a surround system and would like to add another high power amplifier for my center channel. Since Bryston no longer manufactures the ST series I’m looking to get a 7B SST. Will I have an inconsistent front sound stage by mixing the two different generations of amps?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Mixing ST and SST amps
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2008, 11:21 am »
I own a pair of 7B STs which have served me well for many years. I’m in the process of building a surround system and would like to add another high power amplifier for my center channel. Since Bryston no longer manufactures the ST series I’m looking to get a 7B SST. Will I have an inconsistent front sound stage by mixing the two different generations of amps?

Hi Rob,

That's a really good question and something I have never tried.
I think if your Center speaker was Identical to your left/right speakers I would say look for another used 7B ST. In most cases though the Center speaker is not the same (usually it's a horizontal setup and much smaller than the mains) so the difference in the sound of the 7B SST vs the 7B ST would be swamped by the differences in the LCR speakers.

james

jmprader

Re: Mixing ST and SST amps
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:27 am »
My 53 year old ears are not improving, but they are not bad, below 14.5khz anyway...they were only 49 years old when I first "mixed" ST and SST technology in my surround system (5xPMC IB1S + self powered subs). 

I believe I heard qualitative differences on some SACD and DVD-A presentations.  Absolutely ZIP on film, at least in terms of realism. 

I have moved to all SST gear, except for my internally powered subs.  Addiction has its costs.

Who hears the subtle difference in my household?  Nobody else but me.  One or two cronies claim they can "hear Jimi" better.  I'd guess some younger ears can discern better than mine, but on typical lossy surround material, forget about it. 

I'm waiting on Blu-ray to settle, so I cannot comment on the new lossless True HD and DTS HD MA formats.  If the studios take advantage of the bandwidth and your ears are ready, maybe the subtle differences will be better defined for many.

Otherwise, I would not sweat the subject.