Upgrading GB1

Nightscrawler

Upgrading GB1
« on: 27 Jun 2008, 05:08 pm »
Hello,

I just begins this hobby and my first speaker is GB1 which has been with me for more than 1 year now. Recently, I have upgraded my CDT and DAC so I am thinking which speaker should I look at for upgrading??

My listening area is not large. Around 9W x 13D x 8.5H only. I am wondering if I can put a OB1i...Just tested an OB1 today it is absolutely wonderful. I missed the midrange and bass...

My current setup is as follows:
Accustic Art CD Transport
Orpheus One SE
Bryston B60 (works as pre-amp)
Bryston 4BSST-C
PMC GB1

How do you guys think???

Cheers~

Viajero5000

Re: Upgrading GB1
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2008, 06:59 pm »
Your listening area is on the small side, so it's a tricky one, as bigger baffle speakers need space to 'disappear'. If you really want to enjoy a PMC speaker however, you should not go for anything less than OB1; the lower models, although they image very well and are fun to listen to, always left me frustrated due to the lack of mid-range definition and bass weight; they also feel a bit light-weight and toyish for the price.

See if you can get a home audition; it's very difficult to tell without trying it in the acutal room.

Nightscrawler

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2008, 01:38 am »
Your listening area is on the small side, so it's a tricky one, as bigger baffle speakers need space to 'disappear'. If you really want to enjoy a PMC speaker however, you should not go for anything less than OB1; the lower models, although they image very well and are fun to listen to, always left me frustrated due to the lack of mid-range definition and bass weight; they also feel a bit light-weight and toyish for the price.

See if you can get a home audition; it's very difficult to tell without trying it in the acutal room.

Many thanks for the comments. That is my wonder. If not going for OB1 at least, the upgrade maybe very marginal to me. However, it seems OB1 is already the smallest in the PMC family offering a midrange unit.

Alternatively, maybe I need to look at other brands...like Adam, Audio Physics, Wilson Benesch... :roll:

Viajero5000

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:03 am »
One of the key elements of an audio system sounding good is the synergy between its components; the PMC Bryston combination has great synergy, and if you like clear, natural and uncompressed sound with very good stereo imaging, the Bryston/PMC combination is hard to beat. I would accordingly suggest that you first audition the OB1 before trying any other brands, as buying another speaker may likely open a whole new can of worms in terms of downstream equipment.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2008, 01:16 am »
If I had the money, I would go for the EB1...that looks to be one of the best of PMC.

FM Acoustics

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2008, 01:56 am »
I'd go with the ATC SCM-40, they have the famous ATC dome mid and are a closed box design which will work very well in your small room. The MSRP in the US is 4950$.

http://www.atc.gb.net/scm40.htm

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:28 am »
Those are good too.

b5pt9

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2008, 01:04 pm »
I'd like to try ATC's sometime.  The sealed box design would potentially have pretty good bass.  They would need some power at only 85dB efficiency but you have a 4BSST  :wink:.

Nightscrawler

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2008, 04:35 am »
Many thanks to all those providing the valuable comments to me.

Actually, I have been running around to try some other speakers lately, including the OB1, OB1i, Pencil, ACT ONE, Virgo...still have not much ideas at this moment. Frankly, up to this moment, still prefer the OB1i at this moment.

On the other hand, I am thinking if Goldmund Pre & Power Amps + PMC Loudspeakers would be a good match. How do you guys think??

Cheers, :green:

FM Acoustics

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2008, 05:19 am »
Don't know about the Goldmund amps and pres but here it's an interesting thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/goldmund-v-s-pioneer-285743/

Nightscrawler

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2008, 09:10 am »
Don't know about the Goldmund amps and pres but here it's an interesting thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/goldmund-v-s-pioneer-285743/

Thanks, I read that news before. Sure the Goldmund has comparablely less components inside than other brands...I will be careful with their CD players.  :icon_lol:

nobel

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2008, 11:03 am »

Hi

With the system you have you wont get any better than the Ob1s in the room that you have. The synergy is amazing. The only other improvement I would make is to get a new per/amp. The BP26 and later on BCD1 CD player. This system will supass many units that are double or treble this price. Foe me personally nothing comes close.

Hope this helps

Nobel

Nightscrawler

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2008, 03:49 am »

Hi

With the system you have you wont get any better than the Ob1s in the room that you have. The synergy is amazing. The only other improvement I would make is to get a new per/amp. The BP26 and later on BCD1 CD player. This system will supass many units that are double or treble this price. Foe me personally nothing comes close.

Hope this helps

Nobel

Hi Nobel,

Many thanks for the opinion. Actually I have auditioned the Bryston BCD1+BP26+14B+Ob1i or EB1. In my humbable opinions, the BCD1 and BP26 are not bad. The BCD1 is not bad but for sure they are not as competitive as the current CDT+DAC that I have now (actually, my combo could cost 5 times of the BCD1 so nothing is wrong here...) The BP26 is not bad too but due to the weakening of USD, there is something better in this price range...I thought its good until i plug into an Octave HP300 for A/B test.... :duh: :duh: :duh:

On the other hand, I admire the power amp of Bryston and its really good to match with PMC loudspeakers. Very competitive priced and performance products.

Cheers,