BP25 Praise

lpaudio2

BP25 Praise
« on: 15 Jun 2008, 01:30 pm »
I for some reason thought from my reading on the web that the bp25 was relatively weak compared to the bryston amps. Well long story short I found a spectacular deal on a classe cp-50, figured it would be a "upgrade". Not so much. Im super impressed with the bp25 now, the bp25, is clearer, more transparent, more focused. Especially with classical music, things just sound clear and precise. Piano sounds divine, I can clearly hear the decay and detail, and organic snap of each piano key. Also the bp25 has more volume control / overload , it is able to deal with the 3v output of my musiland and still have great volume control. This truly is a world class piece. So far as I can tell the bp25 sounds like nothing.

Right now im using a CJ sa250, 120wpc amp, my 7b St's are going in for a checkup. Amazingly the bp25 sounds awesome with this combo too! Actually believe it or not the CJ drives my 1.5 ohm logans.

The classe sure looks sexy, but it does not hold a candle to the bp25.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BP25 Praise
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2008, 02:38 pm »
You know it's funny about the BP25's reception. In Europe the BP25 and our MM/MC Phono stage were considered one of the best preamplifiers and phono stages available-cost no object.  In North America though it was not until the BP26 did most North American Reviewers take notice?

james

john1970

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2008, 02:47 pm »
I purchased a BP25 used about a year ago to pair with my Bryston 4B SST amp.  It is an excellent combination and the BP25 preamp was a huge improvement over the NAD integrated amp that I was using at the time.  I've been told that the only significant difference between the BP25 and BP26 is the power supply (MPS2 vs. MPS1).

Cheers,

John

Alfalfa

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2008, 04:14 pm »
I purchased a BP25 used about a year ago to pair with my Bryston 4B SST amp.  It is an excellent combination and the BP25 preamp was a huge improvement over the NAD integrated amp that I was using at the time.  I've been told that the only significant difference between the BP25 and BP26 is the power supply (MPS2 vs. MPS1).

Cheers,

John

Which is probably a pretty important part of any electric device!  :duh:  :green:

If what the magazines write about the BP26 is true, it it supposed to be a very good upgrade.

A Bryston dealer once told me it would offer a big improvement in bass quality compared to my BP20 (with older BP PT power supply).

James, do you think of the new and improved power supply as an improvement in sound quality?

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2008, 04:22 pm »
As a dealer I purchased a BP25 for a client who asked me to "burn it in" for him in my system aa

Well after a few days, I knew that not to much could touch it. :drool: 

But by the time I was able to order, I ended up with the BP26DA, and nothing will be replacing that anytime soon. :thumb:

smerlas

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2008, 03:25 am »
John,

I am currently awaiting the arrival of a PB26 which will be replacing my BP25.  I will give my impressions of the difference between the two once I get it and have had some time to play.

I love the 25 but after purchasing a new amp and the BCD1 I wanted to have the latest in Bryston's preamp to squeeze out every last drop of technological improvements.  I have purchased it unheard and am also curious what the improvements will translate to with regards to the sound.  I have been told the base will be tighter and the overall sound quality more refined.  I had been toying with purchasing the new power supply to see difference it would make but opted upgrade the preamp as well.

Mesanjah05

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2008, 12:33 am »
I too purchased a BP25 to pair with my 4 BSST and I could not be happier a year ago.  I previously used a NAD 160, which I found was no slouch, but the difference with the BP 25 was so much larger.  When I plugged it in and put on the test CD even my partner was amazed at the soundstage, clarity and presentation.  She also possesses a much more sensitive pair of ears than I.  We spent the evening going through the collection and marveling at the sounds and presentation that had been blurred and hidden prior.

I've also found that the balanced IC's have worked great and with much stronger presentation in the 1V position as opposed to the 2V position as recommended in the manual.  Paired with my Rega Apollo and the Gallo Reference 3.1's I'm a very happy camper.

smerlas

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2008, 11:33 pm »
BP26 and MPS2 arrived today.  8)

I had been having second thoughts about spending approximately twice the cost of what I had invested in my BP25 for upgraded cosmetics and a larger separate power supply which was only reported to be "better defined" in the bass and maintain better images and soundstage. Underestimated / understated depiction of the improvements realized by upgrading to the BP26 with MPS2

I was expecting to have to listen to it for a while to determine the subtle improvements ............... wrong!  Immediately discernible improvements in bass response and clarity.  Once I got beyond that and started playing with different music choices, I was able to discern an increase in sound stage clarity.

Not sure if it is power supply or a combination of power supply and preamp.  I am not going to try the MPS2 power supply with the BP25.  BP25 is already sold so it would be a moot point for me.  The cost of upgrading when you consider resale of the BP25 was the equivalent of purchasing the MPS2.

Interestingly enough the previous owner of the BP26 had the preamp on top of the power supply instead of the power supply on top of the preamp as recommended by Bryston.  I have the power supply on top of the preamp as recommended.

Bottom line ............. just when you thought it could not get any better .............. it did.  :thumb:

Now I have to order silver faceplates so they match the rest of the system.  :lol:

All this and I have not unleashed it on the BCD1 yet.  Should be amazing.

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2008, 02:13 am »
The BCD-1 is indeed amazing. I can only wonder how much more refined your sounds with the BP26.

I didn't want anyone to know but I played a Elton John Best of cd in my BCD-1 yesterday. :shh:
This has been in my collection for quite awhile and never been played. I wanted to compare it to the concert that sold out in 6 minutes that I'm not going to.

Dere is....I say dere is no way dat da real live concert can sound better dan dis cd played through the BCD-1, NO WAY!  :peek:

smerlas

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2008, 01:32 am »
BCD1 with the BP26 is sick ............. holy cow.  Played the Digitally Remastered Sound Track from the Blues Brothers last night particularly track 2 Peter Gunn Theme ............... amazing simply amazing.  So real and involving that it will sent a chill down your spine when they hit the first few notes.  At approximately 2:45 in the track you can really hear the sax being played for all it is worth.  Only problem I came across is that on the third playing of the track I discovered I could use more amp.   :duh:

So then it was off to Van Morrison's - Still on Top. Unbelievably involving.  I chose these two discs on purpose due to the dynamic nature of the recordings and I have listened to both on the BCD1 / PB25 combo.  Again the increased clarity, imaging and bass dynamics is noticeable.  I truly did not think it could get any better.  Another 12 AM night of listening.

One of these days I am going to get around to posting my review of the BCD1, everytime I get ready to sit down and convey my thoughts I find something else that is amazing about it.  Need a rainy weekend to collect my thoughts and post them.

Suffice it to say the BCD1 is amazing and I am having a ball throwing all sorts of music choices at it to see how it is going to amaze me next.

I can't remember the last time I had the TV on!

Gustavo

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2008, 12:42 am »
You know it's funny about the BP25's reception. In Europe the BP25 and our MM/MC Phono stage were considered one of the best preamplifiers and phono stages available-cost no object.  In North America though it was not until the BP26 did most North American Reviewers take notice?

james

100% true, I have the feeling that stereotypes somehow still rules in the Hi End world, I have read reviews for years and some brands have great reviews in North America but not as good in Europe and vice versa.  Sometimes when reviewers from around the world agreed about a product means there is something right in it, but not always.
Here in Chile we have a small community of audiophiles and we use to test everything we can get, surprisingly we have found very disappointing products in some very respected brands, somehow we don’t trust in some magazines reviews.

In my personal experiences I have to say that magazines like Hi Fi choice has given me very respected point of views about some products due to two reasons a) UK hi fi product are much more available in Chile than other brands (most reviews from hi fi choice are UK products) and b) My personal reviews somehow are very close to their view (with some exceptions of course).

Having said that, Bryston it is very well appreciate by this magazine due to great reviews and outstanding conclusions about their sound.

I wonder why some reviews from this magazines are actually not in the bryston homepage, I remember one about BP26DA and 2B with very good verdict at the end.

I have heard that July hi fi choice has reviewed the BP26 (again) but this time with 3B SST against very (VERY) decent competition, and the bryston end up in one of the favorites. Do you know anything about it James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2008, 01:28 am »
Hi Gustavo,

I was not aware of a review on the BP26/3B SST in July HI-Fi choice - I will look into it.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2008, 10:33 am »
Hi Gustavo,

I was not aware of a review on the BP26/3B SST in July HI-Fi choice - I will look into it.

james

Hi Gustavo.

Heres what our distributor in Britian said about the review you mentioned on the 3B/BP26 in July HiFi Choice.

James,

BP26MPS2 & 3B SST C series

Yes it’s a cracker!  I’ll get you a pdf asap.

‘BEST BUY’ 5 stars'

Also the 28B’s will be appearing in the HiFi Choice Collection edition due for release in 6 weeks.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:46 pm »
Hi All,

"Ultimate Group Test" on the Bryston BP26 Preamp, MPS-2 Power Supply and 3B SST Power amp in the July 2008 issue of Hi-Fi Choice in the UK. The best of the best!

Their conclusion:  "These amps exude class in both looks and performance -- FIVE STARS*****."

I have the PDF of the above BP26/3B SST Review - email me - it's 3.5M

james

Gustavo

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2008, 06:04 pm »
Hi Gustavo,

james

Hi Gustavo.

Heres what our distributor in Britian said about the review you mentioned on the 3B/BP26 in July HiFi Choice.

James,

BP26MPS2 & 3B SST C series

Yes it’s a cracker!  I’ll get you a pdf asap.

‘BEST BUY’ 5 stars'

Also the 28B’s will be appearing in the HiFi Choice Collection edition due for release in 6 weeks.

Keith

Congratulations James. I had the chance to fully check the article.

The 5 stars in the review of Hi Fi choice must be analyze in perspective, the high score should be considered even higher when we take into account the prices of Bryston products in Europe, Europeans pay more for the same bryston products that we pay in the Americas. So when an horizontal review like this is done by a UK magazine, even with the high price of bryston kit still gets outstanding score in comparison to other domestic UK products with proportional lower prices in the market

Also the short review give to my point of view a very precise vision of the pre and power set.

Just take a look at the loudspeakers they were using, (B&W 803) showing that B&W/Bryston matching is perfect, giving a perfect answer to an old message question of this forum about the matching between Bryston and Bowers and Wilkins.

Gustavo

Viajero5000

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2008, 07:11 pm »
Hi James, a request that you really should do something about the prices of Bryston products in the UK; even considering the tax and transport costs, the pricing is just extreme (especially given that dollar has been depreciating). Perhaps the middle men are charging too much. Although it is a real hassle, I am seriously considering bypassing local dealers and importing products privately due to the costs involved. 

Gustavo

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2008, 08:23 pm »
Hi James, a request that you really should do something about the prices of Bryston products in the UK; even considering the tax and transport costs, the pricing is just extreme (especially given that dollar has been depreciating). Perhaps the middle men are charging too much. Although it is a real hassle, I am seriously considering bypassing local dealers and importing products privately due to the costs involved. 

As far as I know Its not only bryston, it is also true for any imported product to the EU due to high import tax rate.

Viajero5000

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2008, 09:15 pm »
true, but two wrongs don't make a right. pricing for american audio products in the uk is disproportionately high compared to the applicable tax rates.