BDA-1 PICS (BRYSTON SHOTS)

KeithA

BDA-1 PICS (BRYSTON SHOTS)
« on: 29 Jun 2008, 04:14 pm »

Gustavo

Re: BDA-1 PICS (BRYSTON SHOTS)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2008, 05:17 pm »
 :o :drool: looks great.

I can bet this DAC should sound better than the DAC in my BP26. 

KeithA

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2008, 08:11 pm »
I'm sure its built to spec to work great. However, truth be known, I expected the guts to have a little more substance (bigger toriods, chips, etc). Not that that would make a performance difference, the insides are just a little 'slighter' than I expected.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2008, 09:28 pm »
I'm sure its built to spec to work great. However, truth be known, I expected the guts to have a little more substance (bigger toriods, chips, etc). Not that that would make a performance difference, the insides are just a little 'slighter' than I expected.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes the BCD-1 follows in the footsteps of the CD Player in that instead of using 'hole-through' circuit boards we are using much more of the newer 'surface mount' technology.  This allows for the use of much physically smaller components ---but performance wise equal to the larger components. The circuits can be much more precise and the lack of unit to unit variability is exceptionally good.

As for power supply the requirements for Analog circuits and Digital circuits are totally different (voltage supply vs current supply) so it is far more important that each power supply be optimized for its function rather than size. Also the BDA-1 runs Class A through-out so you do not need large power supplies like in amplifiers where the current and voltage draw is fluctuating up and down with signal needs.

james

KeithA

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:01 pm »

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes the BCD-1 follows in the footsteps of the CD Player in that instead of using 'hole-through' circuit boards we are using much more of the newer 'surface mount' technology.  This allows for the use of much physically smaller components ---but performance wise equal to the larger components. The circuits can be much more precise and the lack of unit to unit variability is exceptionally good.

As for power supply the requirements for Analog circuits and Digital circuits are totally different (voltage supply vs current supply) so it is far more important that each power supply be optimized for its function rather than size. Also the BDA-1 runs Class A through-out so you do not need large power supplies like in amplifiers where the current and voltage draw is fluctuating up and down with signal needs.

james

That's fair. I guess I just figured that at a minimum one of the torroids would be substantially bigger than the other (which it may be and I just can't tell) and since there is so much real estate in the chassis, I figured the power supplies would be more toward the front, away from the 'DAC' circuitry (however, the specs speak for themselves, so I guess it's moot :wink:)

The one thing I was curious to see the insides for was to see if it was more 'modular' in nature. Reason I ask is that I know you guys are considering a 'pro' version that can be mated with a drive in the future, and this 2-piece unit would have a 'word clock' or similar connection. I assume this unit has been bult in a way that that feature can be easily implemented in this model as it comes up?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:06 pm »
Hi Keith,

Yes there is room on the circuit board at the back to allow for the clock when implimented.

james

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2008, 01:36 am »
James,
Surface mount means it needs less power? Better efficiency? I had a Stello DA100 and it has a pretty big torroidal power supply and is class A and discrete. How does surface mounting change the need for sizeable components.
Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2008, 01:39 am »
James,
Surface mount means it needs less power? Better efficiency? I had a Stella DA100 and it has a pretty big torroidal power supply and is class A and discrete. How does surface mounting change the need for sizeable components.
Mike

Hi,

It doesn't mean it needs less power. The power supplies in the DAC are more than capable of supplying all the current and voltage necessary to operate the circuit and then some.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:47 am »
I can see one of these in my future. :)

Does Bryston recommend needing to use a "power-cleaning" device with this DAC, or will the DAC's own internal power supply be sufficient to reject reasonable line-born AC noise? :?:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:33 am »

Same here.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2008, 10:20 am »

Does Bryston recommend needing to use a "power-cleaning" device with this DAC, or will the DAC's own internal power supply be sufficient to reject reasonable line-born AC noise? :?:

Most well designed powers supplies will 'filter' a fair bit of noise but will not totally 'isolate' the component from the outside power grid.

james