BP25 sick again

Barry.B

BP25 sick again
« on: 5 Mar 2008, 01:40 am »
Hi All,

This evening I packed my BP25DA pre-amp back in it's box ready to take it back to my dealer to return it to PMC UK for the second time since purchase.  The first time was to replace the volume pot assy due to channel imbalance at low vol, the tape/source and the normal/mute switches because they were sluggish/not operating correctly.

This time the polarity/invert switch has the same symptom, maybe the DAC selector switch should be changed as well so I don't have to send the amp back a third time when that fails too.  I use the remote most of the time so these remotely operated switches get fairly light use.

I have also asked PMC to check the DAC board as I am experiencing signal drop outs when playing the G08 CDP via S/PDIF to the BP25.

I am grateful for the 20 year warranty, but I certainly didn't expect to use it for the second time.

Whilst I am on the subject of failing "Hi end" Hi-Fi gear although I am very pleased with the sound of my system and get a lot of enjoyment from it, so far every component has been repaired or is waiting for repair under warranty since purchase.

The Meridian G08 CDP is on it's third rom drive due to making loud rattling sounds when slightly out of tolerance CD's are played.
The PMC LB1's have had the tweeters replaced when one decided to self destruct (PMC had never seen this fault before)
The squeezebox top 25% of it's display has failed which means you can't read the set up instructions etc.  It has also now dumped the initial set up and i can't re-enter them as I can't read the display (waiting for Logitech Europe to issue an RMA No).

I'm beginning to wonder about the reliability of Hi end Hi-Fi, I am very careful with the use of the system amd don't run it excessively loud etc.

I suppose you could say I have just been unlucky, but the new cost of this system is approx £11K and you don't expect equipment of this standard to all fail.

By the way my original Arcam 10 integrated amp and the 9 CDP I use as a standby components when the other "better" components have been away for repair haven't missed a beat so far.

Yes, all of the gear has been repaired and I haven't had to pay anything so far and the response from the manufacturers has been good.
But you expect this for the price you pay.  What you don't get compensated for is the time and petrol wasted travelling to and from the dealer returning and collecting the components.  Plus the frustration when the fault appears and being without your system whilst it gets repaired.

I'm dreading the repair bills when the guarantees run out!

Sorry to go on a bit. anyone else had any tales of woe with Hi-Fi repairs??

Regards,

Barry.B

Regards

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BP25 sick again
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2008, 08:17 pm »
Hi All,

This evening I packed my BP25DA pre-amp back in it's box ready to take it back to my dealer to return it to PMC UK for the second time since purchase.  The first time was to replace the volume pot assy due to channel imbalance at low vol, the tape/source and the normal/mute switches because they were sluggish/not operating correctly.

This time the polarity/invert switch has the same symptom, maybe the DAC selector switch should be changed as well so I don't have to send the amp back a third time when that fails too.  I use the remote most of the time so these remotely operated switches get fairly light use.

I have also asked PMC to check the DAC board as I am experiencing signal drop outs when playing the G08 CDP via S/PDIF to the BP25.

I am grateful for the 20 year warranty, but I certainly didn't expect to use it for the second time.

Whilst I am on the subject of failing "Hi end" Hi-Fi gear although I am very pleased with the sound of my system and get a lot of enjoyment from it, so far every component has been repaired or is waiting for repair under warranty since purchase.

The Meridian G08 CDP is on it's third rom drive due to making loud rattling sounds when slightly out of tolerance CD's are played.
The PMC LB1's have had the tweeters replaced when one decided to self destruct (PMC had never seen this fault before)
The squeezebox top 25% of it's display has failed which means you can't read the set up instructions etc.  It has also now dumped the initial set up and i can't re-enter them as I can't read the display (waiting for Logitech Europe to issue an RMA No).

I'm beginning to wonder about the reliability of Hi end Hi-Fi, I am very careful with the use of the system amd don't run it excessively loud etc.

I suppose you could say I have just been unlucky, but the new cost of this system is approx £11K and you don't expect equipment of this standard to all fail.

By the way my original Arcam 10 integrated amp and the 9 CDP I use as a standby components when the other "better" components have been away for repair haven't missed a beat so far.

Yes, all of the gear has been repaired and I haven't had to pay anything so far and the response from the manufacturers has been good.
But you expect this for the price you pay.  What you don't get compensated for is the time and petrol wasted travelling to and from the dealer returning and collecting the components.  Plus the frustration when the fault appears and being without your system whilst it gets repaired.

Regards,

Barry.B

Regards

hi, barrry!

first of all i have to say that i love my system and i do not regret a thing switching from 'normal' hifi to high end stuff. the quality of sound is not compareable in my opinion.
but nonetheless i had some surprises. i bought a sp2 a while ago and when i opened the box i noticed that the faceplate wasn't right in 'the middle'. not much but enough to get a bad feeling at the first touch... and because of this the volume knob was kind of scratching when turning it. the worst thing i found was that the display was lets say fading or flickering from time to time. the remote wasn't working proper from the beginning. so i couldn't get the set up right at all. i had to send it back to sun audio for service. they fixed the faceplate, volume knob and remote. but the display is still not in perfect condition. they claimed they couldn't find the disfunction on it. the problem is that it happens from time to time. that's why sun audio wasn't able to fix it i think. but what i am supposed to do?? i can see it clearly with my eyes- the display fails!

all in all this situation doesn't satisfies me. but what can i do? i do believe that bryston sends out the components in correct condition and it can be possible that during shipping a rough handling can occur.

well, maybe i should send it to sun audio again and tell 'em to wait a bit longer to experience the flickering display...

alex.

my system: 4bsst, 26bps, bcd-1, sp2

alexone

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2008, 08:33 pm »
Hi All,

Regards,

Barry.B

Regards

hi, barrry!

first of all i have to say that i love my system and i do not regret a thing switching from 'normal' hifi to high end stuff. the quality of sound is not compareable in my opinion.
but nonetheless i had some surprises. i bought a sp2 a while ago and when i opened the box i noticed that the faceplate wasn't right in 'the middle'. not much but enough to get a bad feeling at the first touch... and because of this the volume knob was kind of scratching when turning it. the worst thing i found was that the display was lets say fading or flickering from time to time. the remote wasn't working proper from the beginning. so i couldn't get the set up right at all. i had to send it back to sun audio for service. they fixed the faceplate, volume knob and remote. but the display is still not in perfect condition. they claimed they couldn't find the disfunction on it. the problem is that it happens from time to time. that's why sun audio wasn't able to fix it i think. but what i am supposed to do?? i can see it clearly with my eyes- the display fails!

all in all this situation doesn't satisfies me. but what can i do? i do believe that bryston sends out the components in correct condition and it can be possible that during shipping a rough handling can occur.

well, maybe i should send it to sun audio again and tell 'em to wait a bit longer to experience the flickering display...

alex.

my system: 4bsst, 26bps, bcd-1, sp2

forgot one thing:  the remote i got is labeled with ' 1.7 remote control'. and even if the remote didn't change in technical ways it should be labeled as a
'2.0 remote'. in other words: who would buy a new mercedes and the headrests have bmw covers...

no support from sun audio in this case.

alex.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2008, 08:38 pm »
Hi Alex,

Did you buy your SP2 on the used market and was it not an SP1.7 upgraded to an SP2?

james

alexone

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2008, 04:19 am »
james,

my sp2 was bought by myself as a new unit. first user- not upgraded.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2008, 11:50 am »
james,

my sp2 was bought by myself as a new unit. first user- not upgraded.

Then that's not right - please have Sun order you a new SP2 'Remote' and 'Display' and I will send it to you free of charge.

james

alexone

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2008, 08:44 pm »

the new display is build in...it works fine! and i got the correct labeled remote.

thanx again, james- this is customer service at its best! :thumb:

alex.