sp1.7 upgrade

toddgoldblum

sp1.7 upgrade
« on: 19 Jun 2006, 04:33 pm »
Hello,
I have the sp1.7 and was wondering what the benefits are to upgrading to sp2. It has been mentioned that the 1.7 is great for analog, but for home theatre it is just ok. Does the upgrade solve the problem? Is it worth it?
Todd

alpsy

Re: sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2006, 02:32 am »
Quote from: toddgoldblum
Hello,
I have the sp1.7 and was wondering what the benefits are to upgrading to sp2. It has been mentioned that the 1.7 is great for analog, but for home theatre it is just ok. Does the upgrade solve the problem? Is it worth it?
Todd

Hi Todd,

This is the first time that I have heard that the sp1.7 HT is just ok. I have heard only good things about the sp1/1.7/2 product

cheers,

julie

toddgoldblum

sp1.7 clarification
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2006, 07:12 pm »
Sorry, i actually am happy with the surround capabilities of the 1.7. I think it is more than "ok." What i was referring to was the following review:
http://www.avguide.com/download.jsp?review=1201
Here it gives rave review for analog component of the 1.7, but states that it has shortcommings as far as digital surround goes when compared to other processors.
Todd

Levi

Re: sp1.7 clarification
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2006, 07:14 pm »
Cannot view the page.

Quote from: toddgoldblum
Sorry, i actually am happy with the surround capabilities of the 1.7. I think it is more than "ok." What i was referring to was the following review:
http://www.avguide.com/download.jsp?review=1201
Here it gives rave review for analog component of the 1.7, but states that it has shortcommings as far as digital surround goes when compared to other processors.
Todd

alpsy

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2006, 09:22 pm »
can't load either :( would love to read the review though

julie

toddgoldblum

review article
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2006, 01:46 am »
Viewing the review article requires free membership to avguide.com - go to www.avguide.com and register as user. Then you'll be able to download link, or do search for bryston sp1.7
Todd

Phil A

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:35 am »
Who wrote the review?

alpsy

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2006, 06:21 am »
thanks for the address todd

found it an interesting read

cheers,

julie

MOZ

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2006, 07:43 am »
Hi everybody,

Having read the article, i found it interesting... but we ALL know that le SP1.7 is a killer in the analog way :)

Concerning the "pizzaz" sound in digital way (multichannel), hum, i'm using a LEXICON MC12V4 right know and i've tried a lot of preamp, let me tell you this article is quite a bit wrong ! :mrgreen:
The MC12 is far superior, with better imaging and realism but the BRYSTON in multichannel sounds "on par" with other preamps (of this range) to me.
Looks like the SP2 wil give something new and better on this point (mine arrive these days !) ?

Levi

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:34 pm »
The Lexicon MC12V4 in 2ch bypass is veiled compared to the Bryston SP1.7.  Ultimately, they are both bettered by BAT VK-30 tube preamp. as far as palpability and 3 dimensionality.

Quote from: MOZ
Hi everybody,

Having read the article, i found it interesting... but we ALL know that le SP1.7 is a killer in the analog way :)

Concerning the "pizzaz" sound in digital way (multichannel), hum, i'm using a LEXICON MC12V4 right know and i've tried a lot of preamp, let me tell you this article is quite a bit wrong ! :mrgreen:
The MC12 is far superior, with better imaging and realism but the BRYSTON in multichannel sounds "on par" with other preamps (of this range) to me.
Looks like the SP2 wil give something new and better on this point (mine arrive these days !) ?

MOZ

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:45 pm »
In 2ch, things are different betwin the MC12 and the SP1.7.
I 'd rather have my SP1.7'cause it gives you more "life" to the music, but the MC12 is quite neutral, a very fast calculator... and surprising :)
They are both different... anyway.

In multichannel, for me, the MC12 betters the SP1.7 by a "very large" margin.

MOZ

Levi

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:30 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote from: MOZ
In 2ch, things are different betwin the MC12 and the SP1.7.
I 'd rather have my SP1.7'cause it gives you more "life" to the music, but the MC12 is quite neutral, a very fast calculator... and surprising :)
They are both different... anyway.

In multichannel, for me, the MC12 betters the SP1.7 by a "very large" margin.

MOZ

MOZ

sp1.7 upgrade
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2006, 07:54 am »
Youre welcome, have been using the MC12 for 2 months now, and i quite enjoyed it (expecially in the multichannel way, very realistic and sounds so easy and clear !)...

But i never found back the same "emotion" in 2ch as with my SP1.7.
Can't wait to get my SP2 back (soon i was told)... :mrgreen: