SP1.7 not setting effect via serial port

ScottMayo

« on: 10 Aug 2005, 05:36 am »
Have any of you other SP1.7 automators seen this? I'm finding that sending an EFxx command works about half the time. The sequences goes

send SUR
get back >
send EFxx
get back EFyy >

where yy is the previous mode, not the new one. There are no error events ("!") involved.

My workaround is to read the EFyy, compare to xx, and re-issue the command until I get the right response. This almost works - sometimes I find that sending EFxx just echoes back a >, and in these cases it usually turns out that the command had no effect.

It would also be nice if you could specify volume directly ("-12.5") instead of VU/VD iterations.

gravy

• -Scott
Re: SP1.7 not setting effect via serial port
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2005, 04:02 pm »
Hi Scott,

I haven't made extensive use of the "Effect" stuff- usually only to set Dolby Pro Logic- Film on some 2.0 sources.

However, you can directly set the volume via the serial port, using:

Code: [Select]

Volume Commands:

GVxx where xx is –(desired_volume)+12 range: 0 (highest) to 80 (mute)
Note: accurate within 3dB

I use it to set my volume to -6.0db prior to starting a movie. (which is pretty close to reference for me.)

ScottMayo

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2005, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: gravy
Hi Scott,

I haven't made extensive use of the "Effect" stuff- usually only to set Dolby Pro Logic- Film on some 2.0 sources.

I'm setting it constantly. I like BP2 and BP6 for most material; but my wife likes the added kick of a subwoofer and/or the rear channels, so ST or some SUR modes are popular with her. Or might be, if I could get to the SUR submodes reliably...

However, you can directly set the volume via the serial port, using:

GVxx where xx is –(desired_volume)+12 range: 0 (highest) to 80 (mute)
Note: accurate within 3dB

Sigh. Yes, it's right there in the spec, isn't it.  :shake:

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2005, 04:48 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo
Sigh. Yes, it's right there in the spec, isn't it.  :shake:

Hopefully it works out for you Scott.   It would be so nice to get some interaction going with the designers / developers of the spec.   I think we've both identified some bugs in previous postings that would wonderful to squash!!

ScottMayo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2005, 05:59 pm »
Hopefully it works out for you Scott.   It would be so nice to get some interaction going with the designers / developers of the spec.   I think we've both identified some bugs in previous postings that would wonderful to squash!!

What I'd love to see is a MODE command like this:

MOD input output post

input is one of
   DI - digital input
   01 - mono analog input (use right channel only)
   02 - stereo analog input
   06 - 6 channel analog input

output is one of
   BY - bypass. Use the input to determine whether output is
         1 channel (center speaker, or l+r if none)
         2 channels (l+r front)
         6 channels (all)
   (if the input is digital, decode the channels and play with minimal processing)

MO - mono, dowxmix as needed, present to center channel (or l+r)
   ST - stereo, with bass management, downmix/split as needed
   00 - surround mode, no processing
   01 - surround mode, pro logic

post is blank, or one of
   THX - add THX processing
   etc.

so MOD 0113 would take the mono signal from the right connector of the current source and synthesize glorious surround sound from it. MOD 0613 would take six channels of input, presumably downmix them, and process them back up to 6 channels. Great for when sonic accuracy is less important than my wife's opinion that the bass on Dark Side of the Moon (5.1 SACD) needs to be kicked up some. And I'd mostly use MOD 02BY

And I'd like this to work no matter what the previous mode is (no having to take the rig out of bypass mode first!)

And while I'm dreaming, I'd like gas prices to come down, and world peace. :-)

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2005, 06:41 pm »
lol great ideas!

and to think all I want is for the SP17 to tell me explicitly (via the serial port) when it switches from Dolby Digital to DTS!  Right now all I get is a measly ">" and I don't know what the heck the acknowledgment relates to!

ScottMayo

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2005, 06:12 am »
Quote from: ScottMayo
Have any of you other SP1.7 automators seen this? I'm finding that sending an EFxx command works about half the time.

I've managed to make this much less rare, but raising the timeout on the '>' from 400ms to 2250ms. Some commands really do take over 2 seconds to kick in.

Unfortunately, with this solution, sending something like DVD,BPF,SUR,EF13 repeatedly slams the sound on and off this way - and bracketting the set of commands with an MTN and MTF doesn't help (MTN gets turned back off immediately, apparently.)