4B3 is dead please help.

Whyme

4B3 is dead please help.
« on: 19 Jan 2019, 05:28 am »
I don't know what happened. I was rearranging my setup, so i powered downed everything and unplugged power cord from the amp.

Finished rearranging the furnitures and plug the power cord in and the amp does not turn on!!  :( :( :(

The master circuit breaker is at ON position (ON side is pressed in). When power coord is connected I see red status light on. But the amp does not turn on when I press the front button.  Please help what to do. I am really sad about this ....

now25

Re: 4B3 is dead please help.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2019, 10:19 am »
I don't know what happened. I was rearranging my setup, so i powered downed everything and unplugged power cord from the amp.

Finished rearranging the furnitures and plug the power cord in and the amp does not turn on!!  :( :( :(

The master circuit breaker is at ON position (ON side is pressed in). When power coord is connected I see red status light on. But the amp does not turn on when I press the front button.  Please help what to do. I am really sad about this ....

The sequence of turning on could be wrong. It’s in the owner’s manual. The rear switch should be in the On position before you switch on the mains. The rear LED should turn from flashing green to steady red. Then switch on the amp from the front.

Whyme

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2019, 02:47 pm »
Yes. I looked at the manual and made sure that the master breaker was on for 20s while no input and power connected. Then i plugged in power cord, green flashing light followed by solid red. But the front power switch does not turn on the amp.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:05 pm »
I have had problems with the remote ON/OFF switch. And I would bet that is the problem.
Did you accidentally change the remote on/off switch on the back of hte amp?
If the amp was turned off using the remote on off switch, then unplugged.. etc. But when you turn it back in WITHOUT the remote on off switch connected.. it just is NOT going to turn on.
My worst experience was when I first got my 4B-SST²/ But after trying several times, all off, switch the remote on of switch, THEN turn on.. etc. I got it OK.
I am CERTAIN your problem is a similar one.

Previously was the amp turned on by the remote on off? and have you checked the wire connection for the remote on off. If the wire is loose in the little plug going into the amp or the preamp, that also can cause it to not turn on.
My last experience was it suddenly shut off... ??? Well all it was, was the wire came loose at the amp end just enough to turn it off. Lucky I was methodical and checked the connections after maybe half an hour of moderate cursing!

And the header is misleading... your amp is not 'dead' it just won't turn on!
Maybe say "My 4B3 is IN A COMA, AND WILL NOT WAKE UP!!

dubya

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:37 pm »
make sure you've inserted the power lead all the way into the amp. :roll:

W

Whyme

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:44 pm »
I never used remote function. But the setting is at External. I think that's the default setting came with the amp. Should I change it to Local?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:48 pm »
I never used remote function. But the setting is at External. I think that's the default setting came with the amp. Should I change it to Local?

Yes.

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/3B3_4B3_Manual.pdf  (Pg 5)

Whyme

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2019, 04:27 pm »
She's alive again!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2019, 04:54 pm »
Great!!! :thumb: 8)