RMAF 2011

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: RMAF 2011
« Reply #40 on: 3 Sep 2011, 07:36 pm »
Rob (questfortone) and I will be there again, and just made my flight rez.

Staying once again at the Hampton Inn, which is technically one block away but is really just across the street through one large parking lot (3 min walk).  Average 3 night stay was $70/night king suite.

Scott F.

« Reply #41 on: 3 Sep 2011, 08:09 pm »
My wife and I will be making the trip again this year. We're staying across the street.  Haven't decided if I'm going to be a spectator or cover it for ETM. Either way, should be another fun one.  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #42 on: 3 Sep 2011, 08:18 pm »
Uhh oh, I may have waited too long. What are the other hotels that are right there at the Tech Center (easy walking distance)?

The Hilton Garden Inn across the street to the north. Nice place. I have stayed there the last three RMAF's.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #43 on: 4 Sep 2011, 06:49 pm »
The Hilton Garden Inn across the street to the north. Nice place. I have stayed there the last three RMAF's.

Thanks - looks like they've got rooms at a decent rate - just gotta figure out if I can pull this off.  :dunno:

Sounds like it's gonna be crowded. I'm hoping to get there noonish Friday, and stay through Sunday. I imagine Saturday is a zoo.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #44 on: 4 Sep 2011, 07:01 pm »
Thanks - looks like they've got rooms at a decent rate - just gotta figure out if I can pull this off.  :dunno:

Sounds like it's gonna be crowded. I'm hoping to get there noonish Friday, and stay through Sunday. I imagine Saturday is a zoo.

A zoo filled with audioholics.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #45 on: 4 Sep 2011, 07:27 pm »
My wife and I will be making the trip again this year. We're staying across the street.  Haven't decided if I'm going to be a spectator or cover it for ETM. Either way, should be another fun one.

Hey Scott, be sure to stop by our room to say hi. Would be nice to meet in person after all these years.

Scott F.

« Reply #46 on: 4 Sep 2011, 09:44 pm »
Hey Scott, be sure to stop by our room to say hi. Would be nice to meet in person after all these years.

I was just thinking that I needed to stop in after reading your Grandpa thread  :thumb: You bet I will.  :green:

WGH

« Reply #47 on: 7 Sep 2011, 05:08 pm »
Got my flight booked and a 2 day pass - I spend Saturday night and Sunday with family.

Rooms at both the Marriott and Hilton are sold out so I ended up at the Hyatt Regency (1-1/2 blocks away).
The room has 2 double beds and I have the room for 1 night (Friday).
I'll split the cost if anyone wants to share, it's about $56.85.

Wayne

SoCalWJS

« Reply #48 on: 7 Sep 2011, 05:42 pm »
Wow

Tried the Hyatt Regency, and it's also now showing no rooms. I think I waited too long.  :(

Oh well, if it's going to be that crowded, don't know if I want to go. I remeber the old shows, many years ago, where you had to wait outside each room for an extended period of time to get in due to the huge crowds. Waiting 10 minutes to get in an elevator. Made for a very long and frustrating day.

OzarkTom

« Reply #49 on: 7 Sep 2011, 05:47 pm »
Wow

Tried the Hyatt Regency, and it's also now showing no rooms. I think I waited too long.  :(

Oh well, if it's going to be that crowded, don't know if I want to go. I remeber the old shows, many years ago, where you had to wait outside each room for an extended period of time to get in due to the huge crowds. Waiting 10 minutes to get in an elevator. Made for a very long and frustrating day.

The stairwell is what I used in those crowded shows years ago. Hotwire is still showing a hotel about three miles away for $46 a night. They have free shuttle up to three miles to the Tech Center.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #50 on: 7 Sep 2011, 06:00 pm »
There is a Hampton Inn on S. Ulster, about 3 or 4 blocks from the Marriott. Also hotels at I-25 and Orchard and I 25 & Arapahoe (next two exists South) and I-25 and Hampden (next exit north). Those are all within a couple of miles of the Marriott.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 7 Sep 2011, 06:26 pm »
I booked at Hampton Inn; you should asap!!  I got semi-screwed...although my king bed suite was "only" $70/night (average) it is a non-refundable rez and now they show, on Expedia, the exact same room and dates with a "Fall 30% special" at $49.98/night (average).  The hotel is right across the street from RMAF, walking through a parking lot.  I'm pissed that i can't get the new rate, and although its' only a $60-65 savings total (3 nights), that's a few cd's or beers!!!  Argh!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #52 on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:31 pm »
The stairwell is what I used in those crowded shows years ago. Hotwire is still showing a hotel about three miles away for $46 a night. They have free shuttle up to three miles to the Tech Center.

Yeah, I usually do the stairwells as well. When my wife and I hit the OC show in June, we went through the elevator routine once - went all the way to the top floor, then used the stairs down to each floor. The problem arises when the stairs are those reverberating steel stairs that ring loudly. You can hear people going up and down the stairs in a few of the exhibitors rooms that are unfortunate enough to be next to the stairwell (most floors used the end rooms as storage from the emptied ou rooms, but there were a couple where we heard people going up and down)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #53 on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:37 pm »
I booked at Hampton Inn; you should asap!!  I got semi-screwed...although my king bed suite was "only" $70/night (average) it is a non-refundable rez and now they show, on Expedia, the exact same room and dates with a "Fall 30% special" at $49.98/night (average).  The hotel is right across the street from RMAF, walking through a parking lot.  I'm pissed that i can't get the new rate, and although its' only a $60-65 savings total (3 nights), that's a few cd's or beers!!!  Argh!
OK, booked a room at the Hampton (refundable) :)

Is this a reasonable walking distance? Is there a shuttle available if the weather is bad? I don't mind a 10-15 minute walk, but if it's much further, I'm not as happy - it's nice to head back to the room for a break in the middle of the day (lunch or if the crowd gets too bad on Saturday)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #54 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm »

Is this a reasonable walking distance? Is there a shuttle available if the weather is bad? I don't mind a 10-15 minute walk, but if it's much further, I'm not as happy - it's nice to head back to the room for a break in the middle of the day (lunch or if the crowd gets too bad on Saturday)

It's across a large parking lot and one street from the Marriott--less than 1,000 feet according to Google maps.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #55 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm »
It's across a large parking lot and one street from the Marriott--less than 1,000 feet according to Google maps.

That's an easy walk! Better remember to take a small umbrella. Wait. I don't want to carry any extras around all day. Argghh.
Maybe a backpack?

OzarkTom

« Reply #56 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm »
Do the manufacturers pass out literature? Do we need to bring a tote bag?

Meicheng

« Reply #57 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:22 pm »
Are you joking?  You'll get tote bags up the wazoo.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:43 pm »

I mentioned it twice in this thread (in the past 2 pages) that it is just a parking lot's walk away, about 5 minutes.  Believe me, I stayed there last year and booked it this year.  :)  And it's going for like $49/night on average

it's the Hampton Inn On Ulster, via Expedia.  It's labeled H on the map (lower right), and the Marriott (RMAF) is labeled M (upper left).  Go out the back door of the Hampton, cut through the large parking lot and you are right in front of the Marriott.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #59 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:56 pm »
Going to my first, reservations made!  Pretty dadgum excited.

Mark