New Autoformer Pre-amp - thoughts from a UK owner

Peter UK

New Autoformer Pre-amp - thoughts from a UK owner
« on: 19 May 2008, 08:04 pm »
I put my name down a while ago asking John for one of the new autoformer pre-amps and took delivery last week of what I assume to be the 5th one off the line, judging by the sticker on the bottom.

Firstly, a big thank you John for the great communication from first contact through to it arriving and for sending one to the UK when he must have a lot of orders from North America  :D

The sound is great, very open, transparent and spacious - all that you would want from a passive pre-amp.  The only comparison I can make is with a Music First Audio Copper TVC Classic which I have been using for a few months and on swapping could not hear any immediate difference.  On further listening there is a difference in the lower range with the TVC having greater extension and control.  It has a an altogether more solid sound.  Suffice to say I am not a hifi reviewer but I like this better than the MFA.

The MFA I borrowed from my brother, as although we both really like it, the lack of a remote was a pain.  Its is so nice to have full remote capability back and a great sounding passive pre-amp. (of course an alternative may have been the Music First Audio TVC Reference which has a remote.  Cost?  9,000 UKP or about 18,000 USD - don't know how they justify this) 

The quality and finish of the autoformer pre-amp are excellent.  Altogether a really great piece of kit.  I am sooooo happy.

Previous to the MFA pre-amp I was using a Rega Cursa 3. 

The rest of my equipment is a Naim CD5X with external power supply, pair of Rega Exon 3 monoblocks, ProAc 1sc speakers and Rel 305 sub.  Interconnects are Kimber KCAG from CD to pre and pre to power.  Cables to speakers and sub are Kimber 8TC.  Kimber ref power cords throughout.

If you have one of these autoformer pre-amps on order then you will find out what I mean.

Peter - very happy UK owner (in case you had not guessed)

PS: if any other Brit is looking to get one, there is approx 25% premium for duty, VAT and shipping - the bulk of it VAT going the the government  :evil:

Sonny

Re: New Autoformer Pre-amp - thoughts from a UK owner
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2008, 06:14 pm »
Peter....

I've been holding off on writing a review on the new Autoformer Pre from Bent (John) as well.  I've had mine now for about a month and a half.  First off, here's a list of associated equipment:

Marantz SA11S2
VPI Scout w/ Shelter 501 Mkii
Diva Audio Virtuoso Phono Pre with Step Up
EVS 100 and 500 Mono Blocks (bi-amping) 500 on bass and 100 on mid/tweet
DIY Speakers 2.5 way Scanspeak acoustic suspension
DIY i/c and sc

Le me start off by qualifying this based on my equipment and system.  My opinion here are from that only, not anything else.  prior to this, I had the Consonance Cyber 222 Pre-amp (tube) and Audio Research LS-9 (solid state) pre-amp.
So, at first breakin, it was dynamic and detailed, right out of the box... You could hear things that were never there on the recording before, the SPEED, Micro DYNAMICS, and DETAILS were amazing!!!  I've had good results before with the Cyber 222, but this took it up another notch!  The Bent was faster and more dynamic and well, instruments had it own defined space, smaller (but more precise).  I tend to think that it's more precise and smaller because it is more precise than big, as in more blurred...

I remember hearing great things with the Cyber 222 on Patricia Barber's Companion sacd, 2nd cut, the congo drums just had more speed, air and micro dynamics.  It was bigger and bloommier on the 222, and well, that sounded great as well.  Also, the breathing on the FIM Double Bass cd was amazing...you could here the cellist's every breathe...though I heard it as well on the 222, the Bent was more pronounce, for lack of a better word.

The one thing that I realized was that with the passive, of course I didn't get as much gain, but to be honest, with John's 7 db of gain, it's more than enough...I don't even or very rarely need to get to "unity" gain, which is at 54 on the volume display...   However, the difference with the Bent and the 222 as well as the LS-9 was the Warmth, Lush, and shall I venture to say, fullness (2nd harmonic distortion) or lack there of from the Bent.  It sound more lean, one may say, but it still got the bass and cello's distictive sound right, IMHO...

You'll find that with the Bent, recordings sounds amazing if recorded well and a bit lean/dry and basically not so good, if not recorded well.

Now after about 300 hours, I think the Bent is fully broken in and while it's gotten smoother, it still not "warm" like the 222 or LS-9, however, being a passive, I don't think it ever will! 

I've definitely been happy with it, and well, before this when I was wanting to make a change from all tubes to something more "green", SS or Digital, I've decided that digital and passive pre is the way to go....  I don't feel guilty leaving my stuff on as the whole system (pre and amps) only draws about 25wpc at idol!

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area and interested in giving the Bent a listen, PM me.

Also, as an additive perk, John is a pleasure to deal with and is just wonderful!!!!

He is second to none in custmer service!!!

Tuan (Sonny)

denjo

Re: New Autoformer Pre-amp - thoughts from a UK owner
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2008, 01:15 am »
Hi Peter and Tuan

Welcome to the Bent Audio TVC Club! I am glad both of you like John's TVC. I started with the Bent NOH and switched to the TAP (S & B trannies) and while much of my audio gear has changed, the TAP is a keeper. I use it mainly for movie and TV as the realism of a TVC is just uncanny. Conversation sounds very live-like and lines are easy to follow. Every minute detail in a scene is reproduced with its own space. And yes the remote is a pleasure to use!

It will still need time to fully break-in and believe me it will get better!

John is a pleasure to deal with - a true gentleman!

Enjoy!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, wow is that how much the Music First TVC cost?