The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #840 on: 21 Dec 2019, 01:48 am »
OK Tyson you twisted my arm. :lol:    I listen to 5 songs that I’m very familiar with and my first impressions are:

There is more detail and it’s cleaner and more defined. The sound stage got bigger and more filled in and a little wider with nicer separation. I kind of expected the above to some degree but what I found surprising was the mid bass has much more impact.

I’ll let it burn in a couple of more days and report back.

A lot of it is probably the wiring!  But some of it is certainly that little Path Audio resistor.  Those are like $30, but WELL worth it. 

mikeeastman

« Reply #841 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:24 am »
I had over 250 hours on the caps, resistors and speaker cables, which did add some detail and better separation, but there more now and cleaner.

mikeeastman

« Reply #842 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:39 pm »
Another change I noticed is that I have to lower the volume 3 or 4 db to play at the levels that are comfortable, I would have expected the opposite as the wire is slightly small gauge then what it replaced.   :dunno:

mikeeastman

« Reply #843 on: 6 Jan 2020, 06:18 pm »
I’ve got my upgrades done and burned in. I did three upgrades and I burned each one in for at least 200 hrs before tdoing the next upgrade. The first was replacing the Sonic bypass caps on my notch filter in my x-overs with Milflex caps and the mills resistors with Pathaudio resistors. This had the same effect as when I replaced the rest of the bypass caps with Milfex before. There was an increase in detail and a bit more dynamic.

The next upgrade was new speaker cables, they are made up of a combination of Neotech gold/silver and Neotech silver wire covered with a cotton sleeve. Agin an increase of detail and the separation got more distinct and  cleaner.

The third was a rewiring of the tweeters and mids with Neotech gold/silver wire. WOW! what a difference that made. I’m sure the two prier upgrades add to this, but still what a jump. The detail is incredible, the separation of the instruments and vocals is very clear and everything is just cleaner sounding. The mid bass has more punch and presence. Everything is more dynamic and  engaging. The change I liked the most, is now the vocals have this silkiness, especially on female voices,  that I just love.

Have to give credit to Danny for designing a speaker that what ever you do to it or the system it just comes though.

I have a new all in one unit coming in the next week to replace all my existing electronics, that is suppose to take all the improvements I’ve made  to the next level, according to someone with a very similar system, I will let you know.

Tyson

« Reply #844 on: 6 Jan 2020, 07:28 pm »
Mike that looks awesome!  All you need now is some of these and your crossover will look exactly like mine, hahaha!:

On a more serious note, you are right - the Super 7s are amazing in that they never ever become the bottleneck in your system.  Any change made upstream is heard perfectly clearly through them.  I've made a ton of changes (like you) and keep waiting for them to "top out" and they never do. 

titaniumheads

« Reply #845 on: 8 Jan 2020, 03:58 pm »
so I cut the grill frames for my super 7s in half and just covered the woofer section. I like the way it looks. Not a very good picture of them.

Early B.

« Reply #846 on: 8 Jan 2020, 04:01 pm »
so I cut the grill frames for my super 7s in half and just covered the woofer section. I like the way it looks.

Good idea. Definitely looks better.

Captainhemo

« Reply #847 on: 8 Jan 2020, 05:34 pm »
Making me  cry Greg  :( 

At least there's an easy option for  folks    !!

jay

Lundskovaudio

« Reply #848 on: 4 Feb 2020, 09:35 pm »
Hi Danny
I have my ls9 for more than 10 years now. Want to try something else.
Is the super 7 available as kit?

Captainhemo

« Reply #849 on: 5 Feb 2020, 12:27 am »
Sort of....    Neo 10's are currently unavailable but Danny  is working  on  a replacmement.
Working along  with Danny,  we designed a flat pack  for the Super 7's .   Danny was selling the  electronics side  until the Neo 10  shortage.
I posted some pics of the    first/prototype pair late in  this thread
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159096.0

There are a  few pics   in this (current) thread as well of a couple  pairs that  were built out by customers

jay

Tyson

« Reply #850 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:05 pm »
How does crazy Tyson spend a free Saturday?  I'm glad you asked!  He spends it doing crazy upgrades like this :) 

Backstory.  After taking the top part of my Super 7's to pretty much the limits of what can be upgraded, it occurred to me that the bottom/bass section had been neglected.  And I also realized that the bass section plays up high enough for it to benefit from some love. 

One thing that has always bothered me about the Super 7's is that, as fast as the bass is, it's never "quite" as fast as the blazing fast mids/highs.  I just assumed it was a result of bass waves being larger and thus slower and I just wouldn't be able to fight physics.  Right about that time I found some pure silver speaker wire in my storage closet.  It dawned on me that silver has always sounded very "fast" vs copper wire every time I tried it, but always too bright. 

Wait, thought, what if I use it on just the subs?  Would they sound faster?  Well, only one way to find out.  So I whipped up the wire to some SpeakOn connectors and put it into the system between the amps and the subs.  Oh wow.  Very nice, definitely improved the perceived speed of the bass. 

Next I take a trip to Danny's to upgrade my Klipsch Forte speakers and I bring along my new silver bass wire for him to try out.  I get there, tell him about it and he says he can't use it in his system because there is about 4 feet of copper wire in the subwoofer amp itself and he just pulls it out and uses it, directly connected from the board to the back of the subs.  DANGIT!!!!  Oh well. 

So when I get back home, what do I think to myself?  I think "Hmmm, I wonder if I could just clip out all that internal copper speaker wire in the amp and just hook my silver wire directly to the board itself?"  Yeah, that's not crazy at all!!!  :lol:

Of course that's exactly what I did.  I took some pics to document the process, but I strongly advise you - DO NOT DO THIS as it voids your warranty big time.  I'm waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy past my warrantee period and I'm also quite comfortable with a soldering gun and these types of mods.  If you are not, DO NOT DO THIS. 

For everyone else....

Old copper wire inside the amp:

Wire clipped out:

New pure silver wire prepped in a SpeakOn connector:

Board and wiring prepped for soldering and heat shrinking:

All done:

How does it sound and was it worth it?  Sound is much, much better.  The other thing I did at the same time is start to use a pure silver interconnect between my preamp and my sub amp.  These 2 changes together have really elevated the Super 7's performance.  Definitely STILL NOT at the level of the Lineforce, but close the gap by maybe 50%. 

The best improvement, IMO is the integration between the lower mids and the upper bass.  Before I've said on record that the one area of weakness for the Super 7's was the lower midrange power.  Not anymore.  I'm listening to Johnny Cash right now and DAMN his voice sounds INCREDIBLE now.  The sheer heft and power when he goes low is just incredible.  As good as the Lineforce?  Again, not quite.  But MUCH closer. 

DeeJayBump

« Reply #851 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:35 pm »
Awesome, thanks for sharing, Tyson. Congrats on the improvements.

Any specifics on the silver wire you used? Gauge, purity, brand, etc?

Seems like I remember reading somebody here who's had their Rythmik Servo Amps modded by either Folsom or Ric Schultz, though IIRC those mods were component mods/changes/upgrades rather than wire upgrades.

Tyson

« Reply #852 on: 27 Feb 2020, 12:44 am »
Awesome, thanks for sharing, Tyson. Congrats on the improvements.

Any specifics on the silver wire you used? Gauge, purity, brand, etc?

Seems like I remember reading somebody here who's had their Rythmik Servo Amps modded by either Folsom or Ric Schultz, though IIRC those mods were component mods/changes/upgrades rather than wire upgrades.

The speaker wire was from an old company that's no longer around - Pure Silver Sound I think they were called.

The interconnect was some old Kimber wire a friend had that I bought raw & then used these connectors to created the pure silver interconnect - https://www.ebay.com/itm/4N-pure-Silver-Star-Line-RCA-Plugs-connectors-2pcs/264506977856?hash=item3d95d82e40:g:MTgAAOSwXeJXc2Xv

Early B.

« Reply #853 on: 27 Feb 2020, 01:08 am »

Yeah, here it is:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145931.msg1561304#msg1561304

Hmmm... the silver wire mod is interesting, but probably beyond my skill level.

DeeJayBump

SoCalWJS

« Reply #855 on: 27 Feb 2020, 02:19 am »
Tyson - you are a Mad Man!

Waaaaaay beyond my skill set.......but I like the idea!  :bowdown:

Zitoun

« Reply #856 on: 27 Feb 2020, 03:20 am »
Sort of....    Neo 10's are currently unavailable but Danny  is working  on  a replacmement.
Working along  with Danny,  we designed a flat pack  for the Super 7's .   Danny was selling the  electronics side  until the Neo 10  shortage.
I posted some pics of the    first/prototype pair late in  this thread
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159096.0

There are a  few pics   in this (current) thread as well of a couple  pairs that  were built out by customers

jay

Assuming the Neo10 wil become available in the next few months, what would be the price of the super7 kit including flat pack and no rez ? (approximately).

Thanks

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #857 on: 27 Feb 2020, 03:26 am »

Assuming the Neo10 wil become available in the next few months, what would be the price of the super7 kit including flat pack and no rez ? (approximately).

Thanks

That likely won’t be able to be determined until the Neo10 replacement is finished and it’s price determined.

Tyson

« Reply #858 on: 27 Feb 2020, 03:31 am »
Tyson - you are a Mad Man!

Waaaaaay beyond my skill set.......but I like the idea!  :bowdown:

Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you :P 

I do think that a big chunk of the improvement can be had simply from using a silver interconnect between your preamp and the sub amp, and then using a silver speaker cable between the sub amp and the speaker.  I just had to go and be extra crazy by attaching it to the sub amp board itself.

What I realized is that my preamp just has a splitter for the dual outputs.  One goes to the main amp, the other goes to the sub amp.  I'd assumed I could use a generic (blue jeans) interconnect because it was 'just bass', but in fact that generic cable is just as much in the signal path as every other part.  So out it had to go. 

Put another way, treat the subs as high end pieces the same way that you do your main amps and you'll be rewarded with much better sound. 

Early B.

« Reply #859 on: 27 Feb 2020, 03:54 am »
Put another way, treat the subs as high end pieces the same way that you do your main amps and you'll be rewarded with much better sound.

Yep. Let's face it -- bass is the foundation of most music. The stronger the foundation, the better the lows, mids and highs will be.

I never understood why speaker manufacturers would design a signature speaker using cheap plate amps to power the bass, or build tri-amp speakers and propose that customers power them with low quality multi-channel amps.