Alpha LS and AKSA

pauly

Alpha LS and AKSA
« on: 28 Apr 2004, 07:05 am »
does anyone drive the alpha Ls with an aksa 100n amp?
aspen amps  {aksa} also have a circle on audio circle.
the amp has 118w into 8r , 236w into 4r, has incredible bass and imaging.
What kind of power do these tall boys really need ?

I would love to build a pair
thanks
Paul

Danny Richie

amps
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:02 pm »
I don't recall any customers that own Alpha LS's that have those amps, but I could be wrong.

The Alpha's are not real demanding of the amp.

They have a nice stable 8 ohm average impedance.

While they can handle extreme amounts of power being laid on them it doesn't take a lot of power to get a lot of output.

100 watts of power is enough to hit some pretty solid SPL.

At 4 meters away the output level of the Alpha LS is the same as a point source type speaker that has 99db sensitivity.

JoshK

Alpha LS and AKSA
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:42 pm »
Danny,

A curiousity question I had, is there anything really tricking going on in the crossover that couldn't be replicated in a quality active crossover?  Since the sensitivity is really good and the AKSAs aren't really expensive to build, one could make two pairs of the AKSA 55s (55wpc) and biamp them.   Just a thought.  See anything wrong with this idea?

Josh

Carlman

Alpha LS and AKSA
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:42 pm »
I've powered the speakers in Danny's Avatar, the Criterions, and the Diluceo's with no problems with the AKSA.  The Criterion was less efficient than the Diluceo but it wasn't a problem.  Turning the volume knob a little more cured that issue. ;)

The AKSA is a slightly aggressive amp so if the speaker is forward or detailed, the AKSA will accentuate that a bit.

JohnR

Alpha LS and AKSA
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2004, 04:03 am »
I don't have the Alphas but I have driven Neo8 panels with an AKSA, and I think it would be a good match. I would probably just go for the 55.

"Slightly aggressive" is the last thing that comes to my mind to describe the AKSA (I have the 55N), a term like "engaging" rings truer to my experience with the amp.

pauly

Alpha LS and AKSA
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2004, 05:53 am »
I already have an Aksa 100n and I'm building a GK1R pre.
I'm driving a pair of seas excel odins and I feel they are no match for the drive of an Aksa.
I spoke to Bob {co-designer} in Vancouver Canada and he said that there are 2 pairs of Alpha LS in Vancouver  and Both fella's are eager to show them off , even with my Aksas.  Not often do you get an opportunity to audition a DIY speaker with your own gear . Can't wait .
Thanks for the input

Paul

DSK

Alpha LS and AKSA
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2004, 09:38 am »
Quote from: Carlman
The AKSA is a slightly aggressive amp so if the speaker is forward or detailed, the AKSA will accentuate that a bit.

I have heard the various AKSA models (inc. 55, 100, 55N, 100N, 100N+) on many occasions, including several times in my own system. I would never have described them as "aggressive". They are certainly fast and transparent with excellent dynamics and inner detail. I agree that the AKSAs will not mask or veil any problems in a system, but they will not accentuate them either. Perhaps this is what you meant Carlman? Otherwise, I think you are shooting the messenger here.