BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

Krutsch

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #100 on: 3 Jul 2016, 08:19 pm »

Just to clarify:
If I connect a hard drive to the BDP-1, the files will go back to the computer running the Core via network and then back out to BDP-1 via Roon Ready?

Correct. And, NO, you don't want that setup. You shouldn't be using the BDP as a NAS server to Roon (Core or Server) running on another machine to process your files and then send raw PCM back to the BDP for playback. It effectively doubles the network load and will degrade "analysis" performance.

Directly attach your USB drives to the Roon computer (preferably running RoonServer) or point Roon to a dedicated NAS box (e.g. Synology or WD MyCloud, which is what I use).

zoom25

« Reply #101 on: 3 Jul 2016, 08:31 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!

Krutsch have you yet compared MPD vs Roon Ready in terms of sound quality, or is there no difference?

Also, I noticed in the other thread you mentioned that you had difficulties with the queuing of tracks and skipping on Roon with double taps and such, whereas its much easier on MPD. Is this problem associated with desktop or iOS apps for Roon?

Dave Jameson

« Reply #102 on: 3 Jul 2016, 09:06 pm »
Hi all,

I'm running Roon on a 2011 Mac Mini w/Intel 5, 8 gb RAM and normal HDD. I have around 30,000 tracks from a variety of drives, from BDP2's internal HDD, USB drive connected to the Mini and a QNAP NAS.

Had Roon up and running with minimal fuss and little to no issues (Roon crashed once and never again). Though I did cancel out Roon's song analysis features as Roon's CPU usage was averaging over 40% and the computer's fan noise was a problem. With no song analysis, CPU usage is down to 11% and Mini is silent.

Initial impressions of Roon running through my BDP is very positive and appears to be substantially more "alive" sounding than MPD...which is surprising as the reason I jumped into the BDP2 was because it sounded much better in my system than Audirvana, Amarra, JRiver, etc.

The only performance hiccup so far with Roon was running it through my Apple TV 4 (dropouts) which is connected to the same network switch as the Mini and BDP2 with shielded Cat6 cables. But the BDP/Roon performance has been flawless.

It's worth noting that Roon sounds much better via my BDP2 than it does through the Mac Mini, connected to the same DAC.

Thanks,
DJ

Krutsch

« Reply #103 on: 3 Jul 2016, 10:14 pm »

Krutsch have you yet compared MPD vs Roon Ready in terms of sound quality, or is there no difference?

I am still working on that comparison. I am going to dedicate my listening for a week, using Roon and familiar albums, then switch back to MPD and jot down my initial impressions (this is how I A/B new components).

Also, I noticed in the other thread you mentioned that you had difficulties with the queuing of tracks and skipping on Roon with double taps and such, whereas its much easier on MPD. Is this problem associated with desktop or iOS apps for Roon?

Roon's user interface is almost identical between the desktop apps and iOS (I have an iPad Mini). Everything works as designed, so I wasn't commenting about "problems", per se, but Roon's queue model isn't what I prefer. Your experience may be different, depending on how you listen to music.

Marius

« Reply #104 on: 4 Jul 2016, 07:33 am »
HI Chris,

Needed to copy some files to the hdd's attached to the BDP, but the BDP keeps being thrown out in Finder. Disabling Roon Mode makes it available again for file management in Finder.

Is this expected behavior or a bug? SMB and USB mount are enabled in settings, so i thought file management might still be possible.

Enabling MPD again, for updating the database gives:

Please have a look at debugging this? Transitioning between the various services and back again isn't as robust as is should be yet.

Cheers,
Marius

zoom25

« Reply #105 on: 4 Jul 2016, 06:27 pm »
I was all ready to go last night, but it needs at least 10.8 to run. I wanted to run it on my Late 2009 iMac rather than my Macbook Pros. Unfortunately, I recently downgraded my iMac back down to 10.6.8 as it was running slow on the past 3-4 OS generations. I'm guessing there's no getting around it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #106 on: 4 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm »
I've been playing the BDP through Roon all weekend and it has been great.

Now, I have my entire digital collection consolidated in an easy on the eyes interface. The UI for the BDP always worked just fine, but it just wasn't inviting enough to draw me in. Good sound, but no interaction with my collection. Now, I've got great organization and lots of interesting supplemental information that makes it fun. I had also tried to manage my collection through JRiver and it didn't do it for me either, but these first few days with Roon have reminded me what good UI development can do. That said, I think JRiver offers lots more control (and it's a bit of a different product than Roon), but Roon works really well for me.

Then, I added Tidal and it got really good!! At first, I just tried the "premium" subscription on a trial basis and found it almost unlistenable (just about mp3 quality to my ears). Then, I found out about the "hifi" subscription and gave it a whirl (it costs twice as much), and it's quite listenable. Still not quite good CD/SACD/HiRez/Vinyl quality, but quite listenable. Given its integration with Roon and the vast vast selection available, it's just awesome - all played through the BDP!

Now, I've just got to find a Roon Ready player for my daughter's bedroom (audiophile quality not required - she's happy feeding a bluetooth speaker from target through her phone). When she gets all of this content though via the roon interface, she'll be nuts for it.

Congrats to James and Bryston. Very well done combination of quality sound, user interface, and content.

Weirdcuba

Austinbob

« Reply #107 on: 5 Jul 2016, 02:52 pm »
Adding Internet Radio Stations to Roon.

As many of you might have noticed, you can add internet radio stations to Roon. One of my favorites is RadioParadise and what I discovered is that RP has several AAC streaming links at various resolutions. The one you want is listed below, streaming at 320k. This is for the US link.

320k AAC (US): http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/aac-320

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #108 on: 5 Jul 2016, 03:47 pm »
Adding Internet Radio Stations to Roon.

As many of you might have noticed, you can add internet radio stations to Roon. One of my favorites is RadioParadise and what I discovered is that RP has several AAC streaming links at various resolutions. The one you want is listed below, streaming at 320k. This is for the US link.

320k AAC (US): http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/aac-320

Great thanks -  :thumb:

Maybe we should start a thread with our favs?

james

Marius

« Reply #109 on: 5 Jul 2016, 08:22 pm »
Hi Chris,

Since MPD is disabled during Roon Ready
Mode, wouldn't it be nice if the
Command button Launch Media Player weren't displayed, and MPD 'stopped' be changed in to something like MPD 'unavailable'?

Cheers ,
Marius

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #110 on: 6 Jul 2016, 06:10 am »
I'm playing with Roon. Haven't had a chance to return to quality listening to see if there's an audible difference yet.

I was already running a home server. I have a i3 4130 CPU (2 cores, 4 threads) with 8GB or RAM, and an "old" Samsung 840 Pro SSD running Windows 10 Pro (along with 12 TB of storage). I access it all from my main PC (the server hangs out in the garage) and everything is CAT6 wired network. I haven't had a single glitch, hickup, or delay. Room populated my very modest library (5k tracks) very quick without side effects. I'm controlling via a Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab Pro. I also have a Tidal subscription.

I love Roon's interface. It's beautiful and relatively easy to pick up (Sonos still wins though).

I'm being lazy, I know, and I'll post in the Roon forums if I don't get a quick response here. I love to use Pandora's "similar artists" feature to find new/other music I enjoy. I'm hoping to do the same thing with Tidal via Roon. So far, Roon just picks up other artists in my personal library. Is there some way to have Roon use Tidal's library and pluck out songs for me? For example, if I want to listen to Diana Krall, I'd like to get Roon to use Tidal to come up with other artists with a similar sound, like Melody Gardot (in this example).

Marius

« Reply #111 on: 6 Jul 2016, 09:21 am »
I'm being lazy, I know, and I'll post in the Roon forums if I don't get a quick response here. I love to use Pandora's "similar artists" feature to find new/other music I enjoy. I'm hoping to do the same thing with Tidal via Roon. So far, Roon just picks up other artists in my personal library. Is there some way to have Roon use Tidal's library and pluck out songs for me? For example, if I want to listen to Diana Krall, I'd like to get Roon to use Tidal to come up with other artists with a similar sound, like Melody Gardot (in this example).

hi Grit,

You mean like this?

Roon delivers this searching for Diana Krall. It first shows whats in your own library, and scrolling down, this is what im presented with.
 Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #112 on: 6 Jul 2016, 11:58 am »
deleted

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #113 on: 6 Jul 2016, 11:59 am »

For example, if I want to listen to Diana Krall, I'd like to get Roon to use Tidal to come up with other artists with a similar sound, like Melody Gardot (in this example).

More like Shirley Horn, than Gardot. Bit like comparing Shiraz with champagne.  :green:

Marius

« Reply #114 on: 6 Jul 2016, 12:29 pm »
More like Shirley Horn, than Gardot. Bit like comparing Shiraz with champagne.  :green:

Don't blame the messenger ...;-)

Anyone else without Bot functionality while in Roon Mode ?

My Bdp says Cd ready, sees it on the front panel but won't play.

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #115 on: 6 Jul 2016, 01:14 pm »
Don't blame the messenger ...;-)

Anyone else without Bot functionality while in Roon Mode ?

My Bdp says Cd ready, sees it on the front panel but won't play.

Marius

Primary method of cd playback relies on mpd

Marius

« Reply #116 on: 6 Jul 2016, 01:38 pm »
Primary method of cd playback relies on mpd

:duh:  should have thought of that. Thanks Chris. Playback only? Or also Ripping.

Maybe another place in MM (referring to MPD functionality) to change while in Roon Ready Mode?

Btw. today i fired up my BDP without internet connection. Cd-player (Cd-Backup) didn't notice, and kept trying to read the cd, which it obviously couldn't find on the net. Could you grey-out this option  in Roon-mode? Also, might it be a thing to consider implementing an off-line option? One should be able to play a cd, without internet.  Would be nice for the mancave listeners...

Mutually excluding services go deep now you've made it an optional Roon endpoint. Optimally they would be greyed out/disabled, instead of simply not work, or infinitely display Loading.....

[size=78%]Cheers,[/size]
Marius

Marius

« Reply #117 on: 6 Jul 2016, 01:56 pm »

I was already running a home server. I have a i3 4130 CPU (2 cores, 4 threads) with 8GB or RAM, and an "old" Samsung 840 Pro SSD running Windows 10 Pro (along with 12 TB of storage). I access it all from my main PC (the server hangs out in the garage) and everything is CAT6 wired network. I haven't had a single glitch, hickup, or delay. Room populated my very modest library (5k tracks) very quick without side effects. I'm controlling via a Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab Pro. I also have a Tidal subscription.

I love Roon's interface. It's beautiful and relatively easy to pick up (Sonos still wins though).

Hi Grit,
Great to read you're enjoying nothing but positive experience with Roon. Gives hope...

On this side, the background indexing is impossible to finish. Ive disabled it for now. Adding to that, each and everytime i startup Roon, it scans the folders from scratch. Which is a bit of a silly way to check whether the DB has changed. Also, after that has finished, background indexing starts all over. It doesn't take off where it left itself after hours of work (and reaching only percentages of the library ;-(( )

MPD on the Bryston BDP takes only a few minutes to scan the whole database, Roon takes very very long to do so. And it shouldn't of course, only check for additions would be adequate....

Cant imagine what would cause this in my setup, other than Roon-programming. My hardware is not of latest, but should be adequate .
For testing sake I've added a local HDD with Mp3s, which are scanned much faster. Adding seems faster too. Then again, they're MP3's while the rest of my library are flac's (often in hires 24b).

Might the network be the culprit after all? Krutsch mentioned the SMB Apple OS issue, but i havent found a positive problem definition, nor resolution yet. How to determine whether this is at hand is not that straight forward.

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #118 on: 6 Jul 2016, 04:50 pm »

On this side, the background indexing is impossible to finish. Ive disabled it for now. Adding to that, each and everytime i startup Roon, it scans the folders from scratch. Which is a bit of a silly way to check whether the DB has changed. Also, after that has finished, background indexing starts all over. It doesn't take off where it left itself after hours of work (and reaching only percentages of the library ;-(( )

MPD on the Bryston BDP takes only a few minutes to scan the whole database, Roon takes very very long to do so. And it shouldn't of course, only check for additions would be adequate....

You have to let Roon finish indexing and analyzing your library. Unlike MPD, which only reads embedded metadata, Roon builds a sonic signature of your music files to uniquely identify the content, regardless of how they are named or what's in the metadata (i.e. tags), if anything.

I think you were the one that mentioned you haven't really tagged your files; Roon is perfect for you, because it doesn't rely entirely on tags to index your music. Subsequent indexing/analysis is very fast, in my experience, once it's completed the initial scan.

Trust me... let it finish indexing and analyzing before you grade the overall experience.

zoom25

« Reply #119 on: 6 Jul 2016, 07:00 pm »
Is there another device out there from other manufacturers that runs the Core on the same device? I really wish the Bryston could run it.